Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Branaschky

Speed Restriction "FLAPS" during climb-out

Hi all,

here's a strange one I first realized while climbing out of Innsbruck the other night, and again today out of Vienna:

While hand-flying with only the FDs engaged in LNAV and VNAV, after selecting Flaps up, the FD would still command a pitch for 208 kts. The CLB page shows a speed restriction 208/FLAPS. Flaps are definitely up, with no failures or whatsoever. After engaging Autopilot A, the restriction changed to 250/FL100.

It is my understanding that in clean configuration the commanded speed should be the target speed, unless a restriction, say for a certain waypoint or below FL100 is valid at that position.

Never before have I encountered such a behaviour - or have I? Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks & A Happy New Year!

Regards,

Oli

Check speed restriction on legs page. As it said in charts, first turn shall be executed at max 205 kt.

You've got 208, because you've retracted flaps and now it's yours clean maneuvering speed (Vref40+70kt).

Might be possible that there was a max speed restriction of (for ex.) 200 kts coded in the SID.

If your min clean was 208, that would be what F/D would do to maintain safe operation.

Wow, thanks a lot. Of course it was the 205 kts restriction during initial turn. Same out of Innsbruck via the RNAV departure. That also explains why I was busting that 165 kts restriction depicted in the chart ;-)

So long,

Oli