Sign in to follow this  
AtlanticAviator

FSX - Performance, i7?

Hi All! Happy New Year!

Ok, Well my problem is that I am having extremely bad performance in FSX (For this Spec anyway!)

My Computer ;

i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz (Stock Speed)

GTX 570

8GB RAM

1TB HDD

Windows 7 64Bit

So As you can see, My computer is pretty good and should be able to Run FSX with add-ons easily and I don't expect to install every add-on into FSX and for it to run smoothly, I just mean having good FPS (30+) with the PMDG 737NGX.

Well, This is NOT the case. I have FSX installed, I installed the 737NGX And I get very poor FPS (20-25 MAX). This is only with the FSX settings On "High" Which Still, Shouldn't be a problem for an i7. So I thought, Ok, Well I can try some other things, So First off I tried bjotes FSX CFG tweak, A little bit better, Still not steady at 30 FPS. Then I tried an External FPS Limiter, Limited it to 30 FPS, And set FSX to Unlimited FPS, Again Better, Not steady at 30 FPS, Around the same 20-25 maximum. I also bought FSX Booster on my previous computer, So I thought I'd give that a go, But...Nope, Still unsatisfactory. Now In case you are wondering, This is NOT just with the PMDG 737NGX, This is with other add-on's too, PMDG MD11 Etc, Just not satisfying at all to be flying these aircraft at below 30 FPS with the settings on High on a computer that cost me 1k.

Does anyone know what the problem is here? I have read about people getting great performance with FSX, i7 and a lower graphics card with the NGX, REX Installed etc.

Help is Appreciated!

Kriss

You'll need to OC you CPU. What FSX cares most about is CPU frequency.

I have thought about Overclocking before, But I am not sure I have the confidence to do it, Incase I fry my CPU.

Do you think a computer shop would do It for me? Even if you have to sign papers saying "We do not take responsibility for damage" etc?

Kriss

I do not think it is a hardware fault. My tweaked but non-overclocked system only gives me 20–25 frames/s at performance-friendly payware airports (FlyTampa, FSDT) with the PMDG B747.

@zowen11 - from my personal experience I can see that frame rate in FSX is basically 1-1 to CPU frequency. Overclocking a CPU 50% should also increase the frame rate 50%. Off course you'll need to have a reasonable minimum in other hardware but the GTX670 is by far more than enough. It's common knowledge that FSX (and previous versions) have an outdated engine which mostly depends on raw CPU power. From what I just saw in some online reviews the i7 2600K can be OC'd to 4,8GHz with proper cooling. That would mean having 30fps instead of 20 Although in my personal opinion 20fps is good enough for a simulator.

@Flyglobespan93 - it probably depends on the shop. If it's a small one with hardware geek employees, than maybe yes. Basically the i5 and i7 CPU overclock with no major problems to 140%-150% of the stock speed if you have a decent cooler and motherboard. There is a lot of online guides to overclocking and if you do it with patience (let's say 100MHz increments), do stress tests and monitor the temperatures there isn't really any chance of something going wrong. You just need to know when to stop (for example when temps after a couple of minutes of 100% load come close to 80C). But of course it's always a risk.

These are the type of results that have turned me off to building a newer computer for fsx. First off I don't know why the newer hardware is having such bad results with fsx. I am still using a Quad-Core (Q9550 at stock speed), GTX 260 video card, corsair 750 watt power supply, with 4 gb corsair ram. I am running WinXP 64bit, UTX, GEX, REX, SceneryTech Landclass and I am getting as good or better results. All scenery sliders are almost maxed out, traffic sliders are off except for 28% airliners. I have a newer computer setting in the corner that I tried to setup for fsx with terrible results. MSI MB P55-GD80, I7 870 cpu, 8gb Patriot ram, I have also tried 16gb of Geil ram, Asus GTX 275 video card with 2gb on board ram, a corsair 850 watt power supply. It has a huge V8 cooler master cpu cooler in the full tower HAF cooler master case, and as far as fsx goes it is the biggest paperweight I have ever had. I feel your pain. I will be 70 years old Jan 22, 2013, and I have just about decided I will never see fsx run the way I would like to see it. My 2 sons used to bring their computers over and we would hook up a lan setup and instead of enjoying the evening flying together we would spend most of the night tweaking. Some of it has been enjoyable, but I really think Microsoft did all of us a great injustice.

Kriss,

which Motherboard do you have ? If you have an Intel P67 chipset based (ASUS P8P67 for instance) follow this basic overclocking guide:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

it is pretty straightforward and if you do not like it you may search for similars on the web...

Then when you are OK with your O/C go and follow every step of the Word Not Allowed's guide here:

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/78-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

Just make sure you have a good CPU cooler (stock cooler will limit your O/C possibility).....there is plenty of both air coolers or water coolers on the market.

With the hardware you have you need nothing else and you will get brilliant results...

Have a happy New Year and a nice fying..!!!

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

By the way the MSI P55-GD80 mb has a overclock button that you push in before you bootup the computer. It does a good job of automatically overclocking the I7 870 cpu from 2.9GHz tp 3.9GHz and it doesn't help fsx that much.

Hi, Thanks for the quick replies!

@zowen11 - Ok, But I don't understand how people with the same spec or one not as good, still get more FPS than me with even more addons and higher settings within FSX

@kowgli - Thanks for the Tips, Will keep it in mind!

@robertp2238 - I agree with you 100%! it certainly is a pain in the _ to get FSX running smoothly, I must say, Microsoft certainly made a terrible Job with FSX, Very Bad.

@Jackson - Thanks for the tips and links! Was thinking of the Hyper212+ Cooler

My Motherboard is the ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 I think.

Kriss

I will be 70 years old Jan 22, 2013, and I have just about decided I will never see fsx run the way I would like to see it.

Don't lose hope! You have plenty of time left, so don't let pessimism detract from your enjoyment of aviation. Who knows—maybe something new will come. Based on existing technological trends, optimizations in computing and/or the FSX code may very well soon be developed.

zowen11 - I hope you are right about optimizations in the fsx code. Keep flyin everyone and Happy Newyear to all of you.

Hi All! Happy New Year!

Ok, Well my problem is that I am having extremely bad performance in FSX (For this Spec anyway!)

My Computer ;

i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz (Stock Speed)

GTX 570

8GB RAM

1TB HDD

Windows 7 64Bit

So As you can see, My computer is pretty good and should be able to Run FSX with add-ons easily and I don't expect to install every add-on into FSX and for it to run smoothly, I just mean having good FPS (30+) with the PMDG 737NGX.

Well, This is NOT the case. I have FSX installed, I installed the 737NGX And I get very poor FPS (20-25 MAX). This is only with the FSX settings On "High" Which Still, Shouldn't be a problem for an i7. So I thought, Ok, Well I can try some other things, So First off I tried bjotes FSX CFG tweak, A little bit better, Still not steady at 30 FPS. Then I tried an External FPS Limiter, Limited it to 30 FPS, And set FSX to Unlimited FPS, Again Better, Not steady at 30 FPS, Around the same 20-25 maximum. I also bought FSX Booster on my previous computer, So I thought I'd give that a go, But...Nope, Still unsatisfactory. Now In case you are wondering, This is NOT just with the PMDG 737NGX, This is with other add-on's too, PMDG MD11 Etc, Just not satisfying at all to be flying these aircraft at below 30 FPS with the settings on High on a computer that cost me 1k.

Does anyone know what the problem is here? I have read about people getting great performance with FSX, i7 and a lower graphics card with the NGX, REX Installed etc.

Help is Appreciated!

Kriss

I have basically the same specs but a 560GPU. I have all my settings on an email I can send but it would be very large to post on this forum. I am getting 20FPS with ORBX, REX, Payware aircraft, and many other settings. If you wish me to send it to you I will but need an address. If fact I will send it to anyone that wishes my specs. Let me know. I am attaching a picture of the results of my settings. Norm

PS With these settings I get very smooth, stutter free and high resolution. I have posted a sample of my settings below.

Please allow me to add my 2cents. I don´t have a Geforce card but instead a ATI Raedon 5970. I do have a ACER Aspire Intel-core I7 860. 4 cores 8 threads HT. 8ghz 1600 hyperion ram.

I´ve used many tweaks posted here on this forum as well as other resources in search of better performance. My issue was stutters. Just like many others here have found out, some worked others didn´t. I decided to check up on overclocking, not my cpu but, my gpu. I google under the search term "best clock speed for ati 5970". Several pages gave the same results gpu clock speed set to: 800 Memory set to: 1100 and very stable without increasing the voltage. Default is 725mhz core and 1000mhz memory. Did several test with these setting and had very little increase in temp. Ran FSX along with RexE+ and using NGX 737-800 all was much smoother. My point is that I would rather replace a graphics card than a mainboard and cpu if I had to overclock anything. Needless to say I´m now a much happier simmer.

it's pretty sad to read these posts in 2013 with all the good fast hardware out there, We really need to get a new Sim in production or maybe hurry up on completing xp10 out of beta or releasing p3d 2.0 this year.

it's pretty sad to read these posts in 2013 with all the good fast hardware out there, We really need to get a new Sim in production or maybe hurry up on completing xp10 out of beta or releasing p3d 2.0 this year.

To Be Honest, I think X Plane 10 Is the way forward, The Performance with FSX is definitely what let it down