Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Set initial position in virtual cockpit?

For all the viewing positions inside the cockpit (all the inside views using the A key), I know how to set the view position using the aircraft.cfg file. But apparently not in the main virtual cockpit view:

For instance the aircraft.cfg file of the Aerosoft PBY:

[CameraDefinition.0]

Title =" Right Side"

InitialXyz = 2.5, -0.6, -8.6

InitialPbh = 10, 0, 5

[CameraDefinition.1]

Title="Left Side"

InitialXyz=-2.5, -0.6, -8.6

InitialPbh=10, 0, -5

[CameraDefinition.2]

Title="Right Wing"

InitialXyz=21, -0.5, 1.8

InitialPbh=0, 0, -100

[CameraDefinition.3]

Title="Left Wing"

InitialXyz=-21, -0.5, 1.8

InitialPbh=0, 0, 100

[CameraDefinition.4]

Title="Right nose"

InitialXyz=2, -1.3, 10

InitialPbh=0, 0, 205

[CameraDefinition.5]

Title="Left nose"

InitialXyz=-2, -1.3, 10

InitialPbh=0, 0, 155

[CameraDefinition.6]

Title="Right Gunner"

InitialXyz=-0.2, -1.2, -3.95

InitialPbh=12, -5, 110

[CameraDefinition.7]

Title="Left Gunner"

InitialXyz=0.2, -1.2, -3.95

InitialPbh=12, 5, -110

[CameraDefinition.8]

Title="Tail"

InitialXyz=0, 3.5, -11.5

InitialPbh=22, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.001]

Title = "Sperry and aileron trim"

InitialXyz= 0.1, 0.10, 0.1

InitialPbh=30, 0, 15

[CameraDefinition.002]

Title = "First officer"

InitialXyz= 0.92, 0.0, 0.0

InitialPbh=0, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.003]

Title = "Steeringbar"

InitialXyz= 0.45, -0.10, -0.25

InitialPbh=20, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.004]

Title = "CP Backwall"

InitialXyz= 0.46, -0.15, 0.38

InitialPbh=-12.0, 0, 180

[CameraDefinition.005]

Title = "FO side"

InitialXyz= 0.82, 0.1, 0.0

InitialPbh=45, 0, 90

[CameraDefinition.006]

Title = "Radio compartment"

InitialXyz= 0.7, -0.8,-2.41

InitialPbh=3.0, 0.0, 82 // pitch,bank,heading

So I can set the x,y,z, pitch,bank heading in all these views, but it doesn't look like from the titles that any of these are the main virtual cockpit views (but are instead the other A key views and S key views).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I spent a lot (a lot) of time on this a couple years back. Here's what I found, and the method I use as a result (there may be others !) I don't have any of the apps that allow you to define other views (e.g. EZCA or OpusFSX), so this is with default FSX.

The default VC view seems to be controlled from the Virtual Cockpit view defined as CameraDefinition.002 in cameras.cfg with a GUID of {C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}. This is common to all aircraft, and is the view you will get if you select the VIEW_VIRTUAL_COCKPIT_FORWARD control .You can add InitialXyz and InitialPby statements to this definition, but the changes will affect all your aircraft. Which is probably not what you want !

If you merely copy this view definition into your aircraft.cfg for the specific aircraft you want to change, that won't work either, since FSX will only allow one view in the system with that GUID active. And the GUID is what is important - it seems that is hard-coded into FSX as the VC view.

So what you have to do is:

1. Back up cameras.cfg and your aircraft.cfg(s) so you can back out to the originals

2. Copy/Paste the Virtual Cockpit definition from cameras.cfg to the aircraft.cfg of the aircraft you want to fly.

3. Change the CameraDefinition.nnn number to one that doesn't already exist in the atrcraft.cfg

4. Add the appropriate InitialXyz and InitialPby statements

5. Remove or comment out the original Virtual Cockpit definition in cameras.cfg

Doing this works. The downside is that you have to add this definition to every aircraft you want to fly - not a problem for me, as I only fly one or two types, but a real pain if you fly a full hangar.

The main virtual cockpit camera gets it's x,y,z position from the [eyepoint] definition in the aircraft.cfg file.

All other camera positions may be customized via unique entries in the aircraft.cfg file, or they will use the default camera positions defined in the Cameras.cfg file in the User's ..\AppData or ..\ApplicatioData folder.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The main virtual cockpit camera gets it's x,y,z position from the [eyepoint] definition in the aircraft.cfg file.

Mmm. I remember trying that, and for some reason that didn't work for me. Not sure why. Maybe I needed to change something else in the VC definition. But it should be an easier solution to the current request.

Hi,

You can leave the cameras.cfg file as is and copy the [CameraDefinition.002] section (the virtual cockpit view) from the cameras.cfg file to your aircraft.cfg file, then:

1. change the number of the section to one higher than the ones already present in the aircraft.cfg file
  2. change the title to something like 'my virtual cockpit'
  3. go to http://www.guidgenerator.com/, generate a GUID there and insert that into the 'guid=' key within the CameraDefinition section
  4. change InitialXyz and InitialPbh to your liking

Hope this helps.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Hi,

You can leave the cameras.cfg file as is and copy the [CameraDefinition.002] section (the virtual cockpit view) from the cameras.cfg file to your aircraft.cfg file, then:

1. change the number of the section to one higher than the ones already present in the aircraft.cfg file

3. go to http://www.guidgenerator.com/, generate a GUID there and insert that into the 'guid=' key within the CameraDefinition section

4. change InitialXyz and InitialPbh to your liking

Hope this helps.

Maarten

I remember trying that too, and I believe it created another view that you could cycle to, but FSX didn't recognise it as the default VC view. That was the difficult part. The specific GUID seemed to be the key.

Shamelessly promoting my own creation: if you use SimLauncher (available from the library) as a front end to launch your flights, you can select (and save) the camera view to be used at the start of the flight (after you update to the latest version (5.8)), if that is what you are after.

thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Hi, Maarten,

I cannot run simlauncher.

When I start the preferences screen and try to SAVE, I get this message:

"either runways.xml, f5.csv, or g5.csv not found in c:\Program Giles (x86)\Microsoft Gamres\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

Indeed there is no runways.xml there.

indeed there is no f5.csv there

there is however a g5.csv there

Apparently your program does not work with how FSX/Acceleration installs files in my FSX root directory.

In fact f5.csv and runways.xml is not anywhere on my computer (according to using SEARCH).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

" The main virtual cockpit camera gets it's x,y,z position from the [eyepoint] definition in the aircraft.cfg file.

All other camera positions may be customized via unique entries in the aircraft.cfg file, or they will use the default camera positions defined in the Cameras.cfg file in the User's ..\AppData or ..\ApplicatioData folder."

The eyepoint in the [Views} section of aircraft.cfg seems to change the eyepoint for all the panel views (which are cycled by the A key). So it needs to be left as is in order to allow the other views (radio stack views, etc.) to remain correct.

"You can leave the cameras.cfg file as is and copy the [CameraDefinition.002] section (the virtual cockpit view) from the cameras.cfg file to your aircraft.cfg file, then:

4. change InitialXyz and InitialPbh to your liking "

Lots of good suggestions, this is the one I'm using now, it saves the old view and adds a preferred view.

Thanks all!

In fact f5.csv and runways.xml is not anywhere on my computer (according to using SEARCH).

It works fine here, you just need to run the makerwys utility (read the instructions)...

That creates the file so SimLauncher knows what airports/runways/parking is in your FSX...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Fielder - glad you have a solution that works for you.

Question: does that method allow you to switch back to your chosen VC view using the Virtual Cockpit View shortcut (default keystroke F9) ? If it does, I may adopt it too. But my recollection is that operating that control gives you the original VC view, not the 'new' one that you have created.

You need to change the eyepoint position to change the default f9 view.....

G

You need to change the eyepoint position to change the default f9 view.....

G

But that has other effects as Fielder reports above. The only way I found to change the F9 view for a specific aircraft was as described at the top of this topic. If there is an easier/better way I'd love to find it !

But that has other effects as Fielder reports above. The only way I found to change the F9 view for a specific aircraft was as described at the top of this topic. If there is an easier/better way I'd love to find it !

Well I can't say I have noticed any effects he described on the 5(ish) aircraft I have changed it on, other than the fact that the F9 view (or reset view) goes back to where I want. If it makes any difference whatsoever I normally only raise the eyepoint a touch, but never had a problem with it....

G

Well I can't say I have noticed any effects he described on the 5(ish) aircraft I have changed it on, other than the fact that the F9 view (or reset view) goes back to where I want. If it makes any difference whatsoever I normally only raise the eyepoint a touch, but never had a problem with it....

G

I believe that changing the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg will change the position (for that aircraft only) of any camera view defined with origin=Virtual Cockpit. So typically it is likely to change VC panel views, co-pilot view etc. It won't affect any external or 2D views.