What's new in the Library
FS9, FSX & P3D CTD Guide - UPDATED V2!
Simulation's Premier Resource!
AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!
- Free VFR Photo Scenery Vol 6 never istalled for FS2004
- Free simMarket addon - FSDG's Oresund X for FSX & P3D v2.x
- Aerosoft PMDG 747X Boxed version reduced to €29.99
- Aerosoft Winter Sale 20% off boxed products
- Drzewiecki Design New York City X 30% off?
- Just Flight Pick and Mix Sale
- Drzewiecki Design Polish Airports volumes, which one to get?
- Ultimate VFR Photoscenery Crazy 75% Off
- Any one looking for a complete Fuselage to make a sim out of? There are a few on ebay for $300
- X-Plane FlyJsim 727 complete $39 !
- Precision Flight Controls Beech Yolk with Hall Effect & Digital Clock
- Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS - Priced low for quick sale!
- CH Throttle Quadrant; CH Eclipse; Saitek Combat Pedals
- For Sale: Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, $120
- Reduced price for Flightbeam KIAD (2nd copy for sale)
- SAITEK PRO FLIGHT SWITCH PANEL (UK based)
- Saitek X52 System For Sale
- SAITEK Trim Wheel for sale (UK, IRL or Europe only)
- Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition - 1Yr Old
- Dell U2312HM 23" Monitor
. . .
iPad app for navigation
Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:29 AM
Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:09 AM
I mainly use AirNavPro with real world charts which allows me to plan a route, and then see my location on real world VFR charts (More importantly I can have charts outside of the US on here), but I'm guessing you're looking for something more useful for IFR.
For IFR, there is AirTrack, which is pretty decent, I'm not sure it will show airspace, but what it will do is show you the frequencies of any navaids along your route, and it will also tune into the frequency when you select it. Also the data syncs with Navigraph, so you can update it and have the same data as you have on the PMDG. It's been a while since I used it, but I remember it was pretty powerful and easy to use. What I really like about the app is its ability to control the simulator, i.e. You can set frequencies, activate autopilot, I think it even lets you steer using the accelerometer.
I also have Simionic G1000, and I found it a bit lacking. Lots of approaches I use are missing, and I couldn't get it to give me the frequencies of nearby VORs etc, without moving through the map myself to find them. I'm not sure if this is possible on the real G1000, but it certainly is on the Garmin 430/530
If you want the absolute solution, then I would recommend Avliasoft's EFB, which runs on your PC. You can display the screen on your iPad using something like Air Display. This is by far the most powerful application, although getting it to display on the iPad is a bit of a pain. It's also quite expensive. But I know it works well with PMDG and does all of what you have asked.
X-Plane airport sceneries here: http://world2xplane.com/scenery/
For information about World2Xplane, tutorials, and articles about OSM, please check my blog: World2XPlane
Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 AM
Before buying foreflight, i was using TouchplanHD for basic flight planning combined with FSKneeboard2 for sectionnals and plates. I was downloading the ad directories in pdf format from pdfplatesvsite. these 3 sources combined where an excellent low cost alternative.
FSX when its freezing in Quebec....
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...
Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:50 AM
Avliasoft's EFB looks excellent but unfortuntely I already have FSCommander and it would seem a waste having paid for that to pay for something similar.
I mainly do IFR flights but would love to learn VFR so I might get AirTrack which looks like it can do both well (apart from 3D and terrian maps).
I fly around the mainly in Europe, Asia and USA so would need something suitable for all.