Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Icon Blues

Am I the only person in the entire world who has repainted the Flight aircraft? :Shocked:

I hope not. And yet I haven't seen any comments at all about my repaints.

Here is my custom Icon A5.

Icon_Blue_01_zps7a95b117.jpg

I like the blues! :lol: Out for a spin in my shiny new paint job.

Icon_Blue_02_zps47184cae.jpg

Icon_Blue_03_zpsb09600e1.jpg

Icon_Blue_04_zpsab742f16.jpg

Then, back to the Honolulu Seaplane Base.

Icon_Blue_05_zps17424840.jpg

Icon_Blue_06_zps445db2ef.jpg

Best regards.

Luis

Luis, I do think you ARE the only one in the world that has figured out how to repaint FLIGHT aircraft! I have seen lots of comments here on your work. Everyone wants to know how you do it as most think it is not possible. I love it, keep up the good work dude. :rolleyes:

Steve

Can't you add more repaints? I actually want you to upload them somewhere where we can download them! You're amazing!

Thanks, Steve, the only comments I have seen so far are yours and Lance who put up a few smileys. :lol: I thought that nobody cared.

It's pretty common for people to say that something is impossible particularly when they haven't even bothered to try. :LMAO:

No matter, I don't mind being the only person in the entire world doing repaints. Not that it's any great distinction. There are only a few dozen people playing the game, and most of us are 15 year old gamers. :LMAO:

Best regards.

Luis

Thanks, Steve, the only comments I have seen so far are yours and Lance who put up a few smileys. :lol: I thought that nobody cared.

Hey, I asked where you got the Cub repaint on your second shot (after the Santa one) and people suggested the pics had been photoshopped. :)

I remember back in the earliest days when someone had gotten into the files and had done some repaints, but at that time the necessary hacking wasn't considered appropriate. I guess now that Flight won't be updated, it might be more acceptable.

Congrats on figuring it all out, and you've done some beautiful planes.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Yikes, Larry, so you did. Thank you very much for that and thanks for reminding me. I never saw the other comments (must be on my Ignore list!) and anyway I don't have Photoshop - too expensive for me. :lol:

By the way, since you mention it, this - there are a lot of mean-spirited people who immediately make unfounded assumptions. It doesn't matter to me since most of them are on my Ignore list by now. But, please allow me to make one thing perfectly clear:

There is no hacking of any sort involved. None at all.

All it takes is some curiosity and the desire to make FS a little better.

Best regards.

Luis

Yikes, Larry, so you did. Thank you very much for that and thanks for reminding me. I never saw the other comments (must be on my Ignore list!) and anyway I don't have Photoshop - too expensive for me. :lol:

By the way, since you mention it, this - there are a lot of mean-spirited people who immediately make unfounded assumptions. It doesn't matter to me since most of them are on my Ignore list by now. But, please allow me to make one thing perfectly clear:

There is no hacking of any sort involved. None at all.

All it takes is some curiosity and the desire to make FS a little better.

Best regards.

Luis

If you were referring to my comment about "photoshop" that was joke. And yes I have asked how you painted the planes.

But hey it I'm on your ignore list " god only knows why" to hell with you then. :P

By the way, since you mention it, this - there are a lot of mean-spirited people who immediately make unfounded assumptions. It doesn't matter to me since most of them are on my Ignore list by now.

Well, one shot DID look like Photoshop (a part of the repaint felt too bright compared to the rest of the screenshot).

And I don't understand why you've put me on your ignore list. Maybe I should put you on my Ignore list too, since all you do is ask "am I the only one who has repainted Flight aircraft", while this is more like "am I the only one who has discovered how to repaint Flight aircraft". And you still want to be the only one who has done so, since you don't reveal the way to make repaints.

Sorry Luis, I have seen a few folks inquire about how you have done that, and you never reply... I think they just quit bothering with asking.

But they do look nice,

Am I the only person in the entire world who has repainted the Flight aircraft?

Oh you tease :P

Are you actually going to share some step by step instructions or just tantalize use with your fancy paint jobs?

After seeing one of your planes the other day I did spend some time trying to see if I could change the textures.

Well, one shot DID look like Photoshop (a part of the repaint felt too bright compared to the rest of the screenshot).

And I don't understand why you've put me on your ignore list. Maybe I should put you on my Ignore list too, since all you do is ask "am I the only one who has repainted Flight aircraft", while this is more like "am I the only one who has discovered how to repaint Flight aircraft". And you still want to be the only one who has done so, since you don't reveal the way to make repaints.

I don't understand why he would post anything if he just ignores everyone.

Oh you tease :P

:lol: Just stoking the fires and trying to get some interest! We need some activity in Flight for those of us who love to make mods and this may well be all we have. So, let's make the most of it.

Although there is no great secret or mystery about it.

Just do... what we have always done! grin.gif

In short:

1. Load texture in image editor.

2. Re-paint.

3. Fly new livery.

Nothing has changed, the textures are in the same format as before, DXT in a DDS wrapper. We can use the same tools also - I use Martin Wright's DXTBmp so as to preserve the alpha channel (and many thanks to Martin for his enormous contributions to our hobby, if anybody deserves a Lifetime Achievement Award, it is you!), and The GIMP to edit the image (since I can't afford Photoshop. cheesy.gif )

There is only one new thing. Each DLC is in a container (pak) with all files inside. This container is neither encrypted nor compressed, so we can fairly assume that it only serves to facilitate distribution.

Flight does not read or load compressed paks, so we must be careful not to compress it when we have finished repainting the texture.

What I do is extract all the contents with any zip utility (7Zip is free and works well), repaint the texture, then zip everything up again without compression (Store, not Compress), and give it the same name as the original.

You did back up the original, didn't you? Then, just fly with your pretty new airplane.

If Flight returns an error when launched, it is because you have inadvertently compressed the pak. Trust me on this. rolleyes.gif

That's it!

Let's see more custom paint jobs, please.

Don, I never saw any requests at all. As you see, I am happy to indicate the method, although there is nothing different. I was just waiting for somebody to ask! :lol:

Best regards.

Luis