Sign in to follow this  
PilotRob

Tutorial 8: Transitioning to jets

Hi

Forgive me if this has already been addressed but I've searched and can't find an answer

I'm pretty new to FSX and have progressed to Tutorial 8 without too much trouble. Now I'm having a throttle issue with the jet (CRJ700)

The N1 thrust never seems to reach the lower limits that I set ,staying at a minimum of around 44%

On approach to Glasgow, I'm told to throttle to idle and descend, using approx 7 deg dive to keep speed to 210 kts. As my engines don't drop below 40%, I can't easily achieve 210 kts, then i'm told to decrease speed more and there's nothing to do except nose up.

In general the instructors instructions don't correspond to what the aircraft is doing/needs (i.e. increase thrust to keep speed up when I'm already struggling to keep speed DOWN)

The required thrust (white triangle) follows my slider setting so I'm sure that the controller is fine.

I can actually get the aircraft on the ground in one piece but not in the way my instructor suggests, I feel like I'm in an episode of "Mayday"

Am I missing something or is there a bug in the mission.

Cheers

Rob

MS FSX SP1

Thrustmaster Top Gun Pro Joystick (Pretty old but still works)

Windows 7 ultimate

Reasonable spec PC

Might be your thrust lever needs calibration? Try using the F1 (idle) and F4 (full throttle) keys and compare to the range of your thrust lever. You could try the flight using Free Flight mode instead of the mission to see if it works any differently.

I haven't done that mission in a while, but I remember once landing without actually getting clearance. The instructor seemed quite embarrassed. :blush:

Barry Friedman

The engines are probably fine. Your N1 is just the fan speed and the idle is always going to be somewhere in that range. It is never going to be anywhere close to "zero" if that is what you are expecting. Since it is the Microsoft CRJ however, don't count on too much accuracy in regards to engine modelling. The key to decelerating in one of these crates is to think ahead of the aircraft, and also don't forget about using the spoilers if you need them, whether the lesson calls for them or not. That is what they are there for.

Cheers guys

I think my slider is calibrated and my mistake was misunderstanding the instrument as KingGhidorah pointed out.

Other than that, I think the instructor is simply not that accurate, I can complete the mission quite well but I have to use my own settings and ignore the instructor. His throttle settings were actually very accurate if I used 1 flaps but a later instruction to increase the flaps shows that this was not my instructor's intention.

I also think my descent rate was too high (which the instructor neglected to inform me) which changes the correlation between throttle and speed but I then have to ignore the suggested pitch angle.

In summary, I think the instructor's comments are probably based on a previous flight model and have not been updated to take into account improvements to the model - I guess re-recording voices is relatively expensive.

I'm glad you could identify the problem. It might be of help to know that you can fly this mission with AP on, which is what I did, beause trimming the plane for the correct speed is a bit hard, especially if you don't have a joystick or anyithing, which I didn't, when I first got FSX. And while flying with the AP, I found that the instructions actually are quite accurate, but maybe taht's only because I had the autopilot taking care of all the important things.

Flo

Where does one find this Tutorial Number 8?   And where are Tutorials 1 thru 7?   

Go to the "Missions" tab of the FSX main screen and select Tutorials, there should be at least 12 (plus some more that come with the Acceleration pack).

N1 idle speed for the CRJ 700 is 20-25%. 40% N1 is a reasonable reading for a fully configured landing approach (gear down, full flaps). Haven't flown any default Fsx aircraft in a long time but maybe the flight dynamics modelling for it is just poorly done. regards