Sign in to follow this  
kannwar

Fed up with OOMs!

Ok seriously, this is getting to the point where I'm nearly frustrated enough to give up simming altogether. Why on Earth do we bother with all these highly detailed addons that we can't even run half the time because of FSX and its rubbish 32 bit code? I tried to fly from Munich to Heathrow tonight in the Airbus X Extended. I have FTX England installed and autogen maxxed with scenery density back one notch. Opus is running and also Radar Contact. MyTrafficX 5.4 at 25%. No cars or anything. LOD radius is at 5.5 (which means textures look like utter crap but any higher just makes FSX blacken its bum-cheek even faster). All your usual tweaks, bufferpools=0, highmemfix etc. Approaching Heathrow airport and, ominously, the framerate starts to drop to well below what should be expected as I get closer. I think I know what is coming. 10 seconds later BANG! Just like clockwork a big fat f***ing OOM kicks my &@($* back to my desktop.

Ok so now I've pulled my autogen back a notch, reduced AA to 8x and cleared my shader cache. Won't be trying again anytime soon however. Thing is, FSX already looks like crap and now I'm having to turn the settings back to make it look even more crappy just so that it doesn't crash. And yes I've tried that heapsize tweak that has been floating around the place to no avail. And no DX10 mode isn't an option for me due to its shoddy compatibility with 3rd party scenery (I use Aerosoft and UK2000 airports).

I guess I'm just expecting too much? I've wasted two hours of my night thanks to this. Maybe I'll just come back to FS in a year and see where XPlane is at since it's the only sim with developers worth a dang that are forward thinking enough to get the 64 bit ground covered early. Sorry but FSX at its current settings just looks like a camel's brown butsteak. Why even bother buying all these awesome addons that are coming out when you can't even use them to their full potential with FSX? I pity those that are going to try and fly the FSLabs A320 out of Heathrow when it is finally released. It can only be more of a resource hog than the Airbus X Extended and I foresee some unhappy chaps finding they have to wind back settings even further just to finish a flight.

Sorry for the irate tone of my post but I'm just fed up. FSX should have died ages ago. Hope someone puts it out of its misery soon.

I hear you bro and no offense, but I think the 1.5GB vram on your videocard is holding you back. If you want to run with all the addons you mentioned, you need a 4GB card or whether you want to or not, make the transition to XP 64bit and just stick through it while it matures. You have a great system but personally, I think that videocard needs to go.

One of two need to go... Either your videocard or most of your addons.

Windows 7 64bit ... = no Out of Memory...

Jim, he IS running Windows 7 x64

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Its funny cause im running a copy of Word Not Allowed's setting on 560Ti which means my frames are 22-24

I use MTX too with airline density at 30% and I have yet to experience an oom..

Includes lod at 6.5

That is flying the NGX from EHAM (aerosoft) to Uk2000 heathrow extreme..

I've heard rumors that AXE has an memory leak.. does it happen in other planes?

Some say, he never gets out of memory errors all we know is that he is called THE STIG!!

I hear you bro and no offense, but I think the 1.5GB vram on your videocard is holding you back. If you want to run with all the addons you mentioned, you need a 4GB card or whether you want to or not, make the transition to XP 64bit and just stick through it while it matures. You have a great system but personally, I think that videocard needs to go.

One of two need to go... Either your videocard or most of your addons.

Jim, he IS running Windows 7 x64

MYBAD!!!! apologies ...

I am not sure the video card is your issue... but it certainly may be graphics related..

I am running GTX 460 1G card without issue.. but then I don't run a lot of high level airports either...

Time for some analysis ...

Debuging Tools for Windows... analyze the crash dumps ...

Performance Monitor ...

Process Explorer....

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

You should be able to locate where the memory is going and isolate the offender ...

Same here..I run FSX on a laptop with the usual add ons..never got an OOM. Also tried X-Plane demo..meh..yawn...back to FSX

Bimmer more memory on the graphics card will not make one iota of difference as far as OOM's are concerned, if anything it will make things worse. It is running out of non fragmented virtual memory address space that causes OOM's and increasing the amount of graphics card memory isn't going to help in that regard at all, like I said it can actually make things worse.

Turning your sliders down is what stops OOM's, plus a 64bit OS with a minimum of 6Gb of RAM, so that a full 4Gb can be used by FSX and the other 2Gb can be use by the OS and other external programs.

Having the Autogen slider up so high is your biggest downfall, try using it at normal, especially with FTX products as they are very badly optimised as far as draw calls are concerned. Their later products are better than they used to be in this regard but they still have a long way to go to be as well optimised as GEX products for example.

Cheers, Andy.

You're expecting too much. For starters with that addon combination your LOD has to default 4.5. From my VAS tests anything over default LOD in Orbx territory simply exponentially increases chances for OOMs. Things that make it worse are max autogen. Then you've got your payware airports with payware glass jet hehe.

For the people not getting OOMs - you're not running high enough LOD like we try to enjoy (lol). And you probably don't have max autogen in Orbx land. I've found without Orbx I rarely if ever get an OOM. Sometimes after 3-4 hrs if flying payware airports and plane with higher that default LOD.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You're expecting too much. For starters with that addon combination your LOD has to default 4.5. From my VAS tests anything over default LOD in Orbx territory simply exponentially increases chances for OOMs. Things that make it worse are max autogen. Then you've got your payware airports with payware glass jet hehe.

For the people not getting OOMs - you're not running high enough LOD like we try to enjoy (lol). And you probably don't have max autogen in Orbx land. I've found without Orbx I rarely if ever get an OOM. Sometimes after 3-4 hrs if flying payware airports and plane with higher that default LOD.

Fully agree...

The 4Gb memory limit has become the "new" glass ceiling we're bumping into (as opposed to CPU's not powerfull enough in the past).

Start monitoring you're VAS with Process Explorer and be amazed! You'll have no choice but to turn down some of the settings. Besides LOD and autogen, also consider the amount of AI and the use of clouds. The REX 4096 clouds will eat massive amounts of memory and also setting your cloud visibility to beyond 70nm will make your VAS go scaringly high.

Just as an example, I had 2048 clouds set at a 100nm range, 65% AI sitting in the NGX (McPhat HD texture) at the gate at FSDT CYVR with OrbX and Vancouver+ and VAS was already fluctuating around 3.9Gb. Needless to say this guarantees an OOM within a very short time.

I reduced clouds to 1024 and a cloudrange of 60nm, AI to 45% and now I'm at a more comfortable VAS of 3.3Gb.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Indeed, OOM is the largest hold back of FSX now. Only solution is to turn visuals down.

Maybe someone smart can fix it somehow, like a way to compress the contents inside VAS or something.

To tweak or not to tweak, that is the question...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

... just looks like a camel's brown butsteak ...

:lol:

I sure do learn some vocabulary here.

Feeling your pain, kannway, and offer my sympathies, as I use 32bit OS with 4Gb RAM and have to keep that LOD down to 4.5 and half-autogen or I do suffer to.

Best wishes.

If you have any airport scenery addons, you need to search and remove the same airport files from the Orbx scenery folders. For example, I have UK2000 EGLL scenery. Go to the Orbx scenery folder and remove the 2 EGLL files. Also try it with zero Ai traffic, sometimes there are corrupted Ai plane textures. LOD should be 4.5 especially for such a detailed scenery too. Start with a new fsx.cfg file as well.

I guess I'm just expecting too much? I've wasted two hours of my night thanks to this. Maybe I'll just come back to FS in a year and see where XPlane is at since it's the only sim with developers worth a dang that are forward thinking enough to get the 64 bit ground covered early

That sucks I'm sorry for you. I'm using 4.5 y/o hardware and never ever see OOM errors. But stories like this make me not want to bother upgrading my hardware which I have been planning to do w/ Haswell. After reading the good things about XPlane 10 I'm thinking now I should be designing my next system to take advantage of what XP-10 offers, so much more RAM, at least 6 cores or more, etc. Too many people w/ late model hardware on Win 7 seem to have more troubles than I luckily have experienced. And I have the addons too!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Indeed, OOM is the largest hold back of FSX now. Only solution is to turn visuals down.

Same impression here. One may be able to find the sweet spot on the settings, not losing too much IQ and also not running into an oom situation. However, I think this memory limit and the fact that you are able to combine a lot of nice addons due to the prolonged life-cycle of FSX (so many to pick!) renders the situation tricky at times.

I'm holding back on some purchases now since I actually feat that the tipping point is too close on my sys. If more stuff arrives for XP, it's welcome and perhaps some more money will go there.