Sign in to follow this  
severniae

My little Pro ATC/X Review

I'm with Jeroen. I let the co-pilot do the switching of frequencies (believe that's done in real world flights too). It's a busy office even if you allow the co-pilot to handle some functions. Can't wait to see this upcoming update.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A few more questions:

1) Can ProATC be run on a networked computer?

2) Does ProATC read wx in FSX supplied by different wx engines? Or it is limited now to OpusFSX only?

Thanks,

Dirk.

I don't have 2 computers but I believe it does or will be supporting it.

So far its only Opus but I've read they will b looking into adding the others in the future.

And +1 for FO to do the frequencies. Especially departures and arrivals.

Just let him or her do the whole flight.

To some who say its very buggy, I wouldn't go that far. I've done many successful flights with it, and yes there are issues but you can work through them for now. It has issues. Good news is Mourad is always aware of it as he reads the forums and tries to take care of it in upcoming updates. This next update should be great. Look forward to it.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Although I agree it has some issues, I have been using ProATC/X for weeks now without any problems, really... I think this is one of those addons that needs some getting used too. And that needs some specific settings in order to work right... Hopefully the issues will be dealt with for everyone in the upcoming update, although the fact that the update also contains new functions doesn't sound too promising: quite often new functions lead to new bugs. Then again, I am looking forward to those new functions because as it is now ProATC/X is far from complete.

Anyway, I still can't fully recommended it to everyone, at least not without warning that things might not work as you'd expect.

Although I agree it has some issues, I have been using ProATC/X for weeks now without any problems, really... I think this is one of those addons that needs some getting used too. And that needs some specific settings in order to work right...

Sold, anyway.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Can Pro ATC handle GA aircraft or does it only really work with airliners?

Although I agree it has some issues, I have been using ProATC/X for weeks now without any problems, really... I think this is one of those addons that needs some getting used too. And that needs some specific settings in order to work right... Hopefully the issues will be dealt with for everyone in the upcoming update, although the fact that the update also contains new functions doesn't sound too promising: quite often new functions lead to new bugs. Then again, I am looking forward to those new functions because as it is now ProATC/X is far from complete.

Anyway, I still can't fully recommended it to everyone, at least not without warning that things might not work as you'd expect.

This is one of the reasons why it has been sometime since the last update. The next update WILL NOT be released until it is ready, hence the delay since the last one.

Also a video will be released BEFORE the actual release itself as it contains LOTS of new features which will push ProATC/X into being the ATC program for flightsim.

Stay tuned

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Stay tuned

You bet! ^_^ I am even looking forward to that video! :P

It will be only 30 seconds long, so make sure you listen up :rolleyes:

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

It will be only 30 seconds long, so make sure you listen up :rolleyes:

:P

Any shorter than the usual 30 minutes and I'll be slightly disappointed... ^_^

Well, maybe, just maybe for this release it will be in two parts with two days between releases :huh:

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Not exactly that problem, but I did have various 'switching problems' in the past. Everything was solved after letting the co-pilot do the switching. (Which is the only thing I let the ProATC/X co-pilot do: everything else is done by FS2Crew).

Ah ok, I'll try letting the copilot do the switching, that would be ok for me as it eases up the workload. I didn't try that because I whas afraid that having another copilot would be in conflict with FS2Crew. And If it solves this switching issue I'm happy and not needing to do that myself is even better :smile:

Thanks for the tips, I like this program very much and looking forward to the coming updates.

I wouldn't even consider it a beta version at this time.

but at the moment it is just a frustrating experience to have to work around countless errors such as not being able to contact ATC

If you get it running it is very nice, but I have to fight for one hour to get a 50% chance to have a flight going.

I think these are rather harsh and exaggerated criticisms. While it is not perfect, I think it is now way better than just a beta version and I don't know what you are doing wrong, but now almost 100% of the time I can have my NGX climbing toward my first altitude assignment and on my way to the first waypoint of my assigned SID within 20min (Depending on taxi distance) of requesting pushback and start permission.

As for the ATC addon you are comparing Pro ATC to, it has support and development that cannot even come close to what Pro ATC has and still is offering.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi Rick,

I agree it was harsh. However, I don't think it is inaccurate. I wrote it in a moment of frustration when I discovered that the ProATC informs you that a runway length is too short for a certain plane, when in fact it isn't (in my case it was a Dash 6, i.e., a STOL plane, and a 3000 feet runway). That's a very basic mistake. I wrote a php routine that does exactly the same (only correctly) in maybe an hour.

As for the beta version remark, that depends of course on how you define it. Now with a little less rage I would agree that it is in beta stage (I wish to apologize for the "not even beta"). But in my personal opinion it is currently not yet a 1.0 version.

The good thing is that the developer takes care of the program. I see a lot of potential in ProATC and I hope it will become really good. Maybe the next release will fix many of the little annoyances.

Best regards,

Peter

I wrote a php routine that does exactly the same (only correctly) in maybe an hour.

Hello Peter!

If this included:

1) extracting data from FSX to get airplane performance

2) parsing runway lenghts from an updatable Navdata source

3) automated test for the code

and you did this all in one hour, I have to tip my hat off to you! For me it would take at least a day or two off writing tests to see if it all works now and in the future. Even then I would be unsure that it will work with any aircraft available for FSX.

To get back to the runway problem, I remember reading from the official forum about a similar problem. Aircraft imported with an earlier version of Pro ATC were giving problems. Re-importing helped other users. At least it might be worth a try.

It's certainly one of those programmes that require you to know how to do certain things, for example, I had no idea that you could import the FP into the FMC of the NGX Once I learned this from another forum here at AVSIM I was on my way so to speak. I also played around and set up the sound files and now the whole experience is rather good. All this is my fault for not researching deeply enough as it may well have explained the FP issue in the manual.

All said and done its been a good experience and I think that a huge level of trust has been acquired by the developer. The issues are there but they are fixed. Releasing unfinished software on this basis allows everyone to feel part of the programme, get enjoyment from it and feedback when things aren't going well knowing that they will be put right in the future. Win win as far as I'm concerned.