•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

CTD even before FSX boots up

fsx? ctd even before booting up need help very frustrating

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 2 Months and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

My friend recently installed a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my laptop. It worked with my FSX great until yesterday. I started FSX as usual and even before it reaches the splash screen, the game crashes. It states that, "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation." So I reinstalled my FSX (FSX + Acceleration) and it started up fine. But when I shut down the game and turned it on again, the same error happened again!!! :blink: :angry: I repeatedly reinstalled FSX, but the same thing happens again and again. I've reinstalled it with all of my mods that worked before, so I don't see why it crashes. Any help would be appriciated. :Praying:

Specs: Dell Latitude D630, Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Nvidea NVS Quadro 135M

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 w6kd

w6kd

Forum Moderator

• 4,584 posts
  • Joined 12 Years and 29 Days Ago.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Are you logged in with Admin privileges? Is UAC turned off? Do you have it installed into a directory with a name that does NOT begin with "Program Files"?

Bob Scott
Colonel, USAF (ret)
ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

#3 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I have admin privileges, and I have it installed to C;\Microsoft Games\FSX
I'm not sure if I have turned off UAC. I'll check and turn it off if it isn't. Although I can't see any reason as to how it would lead to FSX unable to read files.

#4 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I have admin privileges, and I have it installed to C;\Microsoft Games\FSX
I'm not sure if I have turned off UAC. I'll check and turn it off if it isn't. Although I can't see any reason as to how it would lead to FSX unable to read files.

Yeah, so I'll try and reinstall FSX with the UAC disabled. I'll report back the results.
(The installation process is always successful; it's just starting up the game after I shut it down is the problem.)

#5 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Well, it looks like my problem was the UAC. I disabled it, installed FSX, and boom. I shut down and restarted FSX a dozen times now and no error messages in sight. I'll try installing the Acceleration Pack later. Thanks for everyone who helped!!!

#6 w6kd

w6kd

Forum Moderator

• 4,584 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Glad you got it sorted. FWIW, UAC doesn't get in the way of FSX reading files, it gets in the way of it writing files, and FSX does write out a bunch of config files and stuff as part of its closeout housekeeping at exit.

Bob Scott
Colonel, USAF (ret)

#7 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Glad you got it sorted. FWIW, UAC doesn't get in the way of FSX reading files, it gets in the way of it writing files, and FSX does write out a bunch of config files and stuff as part of its closeout housekeeping at exit.

So you're saying if FSX can't write files at shutdown, it can't start up again?

#8 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

God, I want to pull my hair out. IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!
I shut down my computer for the night and when I turn it back on the next afternoon, the same error message appeared. I've looked up on google and maybe a System Restore might work?

#9 w6kd

w6kd

Forum Moderator

• 4,584 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

God, I want to pull my hair out. IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!
I shut down my computer for the night and when I turn it back on the next afternoon, the same error message appeared. I've looked up on google and maybe a System Restore might work?

A couple thoughts:

Have you tried moving or renaming your fsx.cfg file (FSX will build a new one for you next time it loads) to see if it happens with a stock config?

Are you using a third-party disk cache or have write caching with "advanced performance" enabled in the disk manager for the Windows and/or FS drives? I'm wondering if you're depowering the drives before the cache is completely flushed, corrupting files. A full 10-pass run of MEMTEST 86+ and running CHKDSK on the OS and FS drives wouldn't be a bad idea, either--other possibilities are a bad memory stick or a failing drive/disc controller problem.

Bob Scott
Colonel, USAF (ret)

#10 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

A couple thoughts:

Have you tried moving or renaming your fsx.cfg file (FSX will build a new one for you next time it loads) to see if it happens with a stock config?

Are you using a third-party disk cache or have write caching with "advanced performance" enabled in the disk manager for the Windows and/or FS drives? I'm wondering if you're depowering the drives before the cache is completely flushed, corrupting files. A full 10-pass run of MEMTEST 86+ and running CHKDSK on the OS and FS drives wouldn't be a bad idea, either--other possibilities are a bad memory stick or a failing drive/disc controller problem.

I don't use any thrid-party disk caching and I ran a CHKDSK and nothing came up.
I just don't get it. FSX installs fine and it runs fine the first time, but it doesn't start after I shut down.
I use the normal shutdown procedure (Start, Shut Down button) to power down my laptop, but does that depower the drive before being flushed completely?

Anyway, I'm going to reinstall FSX (for the 5th time) and try and let FSX write a new fsx.cfg file.

#11 pete_auau

pete_auau

Member - 4,000+

• Members
  • 4,009 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 2 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

I don't use any thrid-party disk caching and I ran a CHKDSK and nothing came up.
I just don't get it. FSX installs fine and it runs fine the first time, but it doesn't start after I shut down.
I use the normal shutdown procedure (Start, Shut Down button) to power down my laptop, but does that depower the drive before being flushed completely?

Anyway, I'm going to reinstall FSX (for the 5th time) and try and let FSX write a new fsx.cfg file.

Yea strange one you have here, but since you done it 5 times already cant see if its going to fix it. Than again you never know hope it does work out for you. If it fails again might be best to do a re install of your windows system and try from there.
Posted ImagePeter kelberg

#12 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

Well, I tried to install FSX, and now this error came up:
"Error 1722: There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or product vendor."
It happened when the installer got to the end of the setup.
Now I can't even install the game!!!

#13 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Well, I tried to install FSX, and now this error came up:
"Error 1722: There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or product vendor."
It happened when the installer got to the end of the setup.
Now I can't even install the game!!!

Never mind, I fixed this problem. I only had to run as administrator,
So I'll just need to rename the fsx.cfg.

#14 AirbusGuy1207

AirbusGuy1207

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Ok, FSX runs fine, even after I shut down the laptop for over 8 hours, but when I rename the fsx.cfg, the same error message I got in the first place appeared again. I deleted the .cfg and still the same outcome. It looks like FSX isn't writing a new fsx.cfg file.

#15 w6kd

w6kd

Forum Moderator

• 4,584 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ok, FSX runs fine, even after I shut down the laptop for over 8 hours, but when I rename the fsx.cfg, the same error message I got in the first place appeared again. I deleted the .cfg and still the same outcome. It looks like FSX isn't writing a new fsx.cfg file.

Try running FSX as an administrator...in fact, set up a shortcut on the desktop tht always runs it as admin. What's the full path you have FSX installed in?

Bob Scott
Colonel, USAF (ret)

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!