Sign in to follow this  
kmkc6403

Is it possible for FSX to properly render a solid overcast?

I have used as2012, REX, and now im using OPUS and the OPUS metar says it is overcast at 5000 feet and i am flying at 1500 feet, yet i still see patches of blue sky blue sky. i have the clouds tab in graphics maxed out...or do i need to do some kind of tweaking of a value in the cfg file to get a solid overcast?

I can accept the magical spinning of the clouds as you pass them, i just want a solid deck of clouds.

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

I just went through this over at their forums.

Apparently, unless it is a low layer (the 1st layer directly above the airport), it is not possible within parameters of FSX.

What they are doing (I think) for the lower layer is to make the vis really low while in clouds... I guess it doesn't work so well when you're in a higher layer.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Did you try to set

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12

in the Weather section of FSX.cfg?

Hugo

Yep that's already set. It's better but you'll still get the spinning clouds and a few gaping holes...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The trick is to set several layers of clouds on top of eachother. It will hurt performance though.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Did you try to set

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12

in the Weather section of FSX.cfg?

Hugo

Thats a cfg file tweak i did not know about...ill try that out and see if that helps

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

Cloud Density set to 12 works real well on my system. I hyst with it wouldn't jump back to default (8) every time I make a setting change in the GUI!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

i set cloud density to 12 and now i am pretty happy with the results...either i forgot about that tweak or i just didnt know...good to know now!

Cloud Density set to 12 works real well on my system. I hyst with it wouldn't jump back to default (8) every time I make a setting change in the GUI!!

What cloud texture are you using for the clouds, if it's REX can u give me the name please?

I never found any cloud textures in Rex+ov that gives me solid overcast.

What cloud texture are you using for the clouds, if it's REX can u give me the name please?

I use Cumulus set 65 with REX Essential +overdrive textures and use ASE for my weather engine!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Im using REX textures with OPUS and i used the "reality" texture set within REX

Cloud density at 12, REX Cumulus 48. I see no real FPS drop and I have clouds as far as I can see.