Sign in to follow this  
Mark Hyder

Had to reinstall But having probs

Hi Mark

Prior to the re-install, did you physically remove all the fluff left behind by FSX, including, the tons of registry entries?

I found that when trying to re-install, it would throw back at me loads of different error messages, most of which made very little sense, but they were often different if I had cleaned up more stuff...

Took me best part of a day to remove FSX completely, including all the reg entries, but once they were all gone, the reinstall worked perfectly..

Yes, Richard is right. The following is a link to an excellent uninstall/install guide for FSX - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx .

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm now in the fourth day of a complete FSX reinstall, with addons, utilites, sceneries, etc... I've been doing other things during the week, of course, but to do a complete rebuild of FSX with addons has been one of the most grueling tasks I've done in a long, long time. I saved all of my installers, but I've dealt with problems throughout, often times due to my rushing to get it done. I would follow Jim's advice, as that will get you off to a good start. Around the third day though, you may wonder if this is all worth it.

Thanks for the tip Mark.. Is your FSX all working ok now, now other problems?

You didn't say if you got rid of all the other stuff left behind when removing FSX?

The following is a link to an excellent uninstall/install guide for FSX - http://support.preci...nstall-fsx.aspx .

Just had a look at that link Jim, seems Step 8 is VERY wrong...

After doing that, your system will still be full of FSX entries in the registry which will very likely prevent a re-install..

That's what happened to me, I removed everything I could find, including everything hidden, and the install wouldn't even start, it just kept asking me if I wanted to re-install or remove FSX, then threw out errors if I chose to remove or re-install.

It was only after spending a day manually clearing out the registry entries that it all worked properly again..

You're the first I've heard having this problem but then I never tried it myself. I usually recommend a registry cleaner after any install but forgot to mention it. I like it because it mentions all the files and folders leftover after an uninstall and where they are located. That's a shame you had to spend a day manually clearing out the registry. How come you didn't use a registry cleaner?

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just had a look at that link Jim, seems Step 8 is VERY wrong...

I've followed the PMDG procedure several times with no problems.

That's a shame you had to spend a day manually clearing out the registry.

Tell me about it.. Felt like my eyes were going square by the time I had finished :P

How come you didn't use a registry cleaner?

Funnily enough Jim, as I was mentally prepared to re-install the O/S and start again, I though, what the heck, FSX is already busted, so after the un-install, I tried CCleaner, and that didn't work. It found a few things, but nowhere near the amount of stuff I did just by manually searching the registry.. Still couldn't re-install after running CCleaner on the registry several times over.

I've followed the PMDG procedure several times with no problems.

I didn't say people will have problems, but the PMDG step doesn't mention anything about all the registry entries left behind after the un-install.

I think I worded it badly though.. Its not VERY wrong, it just doesn't make any mention of the reg entries...

Maybe I'm just old school and I like to see what I'm removing, because I find those registry cleaners don't do a very thorough job, as I was yet again reminded by my latest attempt, they either remove only a single entry, or dont find anywhere near the amount of things you need to remove, or they remove too much and cause other problems (Based on experience with loads of them). I've had plenty of peoples computers up on my workbench over the years thanks to the plethora of registry cleaners out there

When i un-installed everything, I wasn't able to re-install at all, thus I started on the registry, and it wasn't until I had removed all of them, manually, that it let me re-install...

Weird huh :huh:

Thanks for the tip Mark.. Is your FSX all working ok now, now other problems?

You didn't say if you got rid of all the other stuff left behind when removing FSX?

I did had do a refresh within Win8 and I lost all my programs that was on the laptop, But it keeps all my other files. I did not remove FSX, The system did that without me knowing before it was too late.

All is working now

<br />but nowhere near the amount of stuff I did just by manually searching the registry.<br />

You need to do more than one pass with CC Cleaner. I have done 3 or 4 to remove entries. One pass is not enough.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I did say....

Still couldn't re-install after running CCleaner on the registry several times over.

I do know how to use registry cleaners... Thanks mate.. :rolleyes: