Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

Invisible Terrain at SBRJ

Apparently crashed into some invisible terrain. $#%#@! That's a damn tall fence at the threshold - 43 ft!

Tried this visual approach again in the day... and twice same thing... Once at about where we were (50' TCH) and again higher... got the 100' callout (pic) and bang! I believe PAPI was showing all white... no clue what is going on there...

Hmmm? I just tried it in the NGX and landed crossing the fence at 37.3ft. I wonder if the crash detection varies by aircraft. larger aircraft = larger crashbox

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

SOH pilots found the same invisible barrier last year ( during practice).

It appears to be a bit variable - somewhere between the bridge and the runway, at altitudes from "low" to several hundred feet, and it does seem to vary with type of aircraft.

We put it down to an extraneous bit in a scenery file and IIRC tried to stay high ( which has it's own dangers)

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.

Member | Executive Committee

Microsoft Flight Simulator Around-the-World Race

This is a great airport, specially flying the visual "Barra" approach to runway 02R.

I highly recommend Terra Brasilis' free terrain mesh, adds to the challenge.

We put it down to an extraneous bit in a scenery file

Excellent idea.

Btw, thanks Rob for mentioning that y'all had the same problem.

I highly recommend Terra Brasilis' free terrain mesh, adds to the challenge.

I thought I was using default FSX but turns out I was actually using that mesh.

There was a download for SBRJ also available so I'll try that next.

Edit: oops that was for SBGR (not SBRJ). How to say " ¡Ay, caramba! " in Portuguese...

This is a great airport, specially flying the visual "Barra" approach to runway 02R.

So in my rush last night to get off the ground for this leg - didn't even think to google for plates (nothing in Navigraph). :wacko:

Found a good download for that here (p. 26): http://cartasaereas.altervista.org/cartas/SBRJ.pdf

Rob, flying the old "air bridge" between SBSP and SBRJ is great fun, flying the reverse route is just as fun.

There are some great freeware sceneries for SBSP, highly recommend them. I flew as a passenger a few times between these two airports in the days when Varig flew Electras. It was breathtaking, I can only imagine what it must be like today flying the same in the Airbus or 737s that are used as Electra replacements.

Hi.

I've been having the same problem. Mine happens exactly when I cross the threshold of runway 20 (l opr R) , about 30-70 feet from the ground. The strangest thing is that I've tried deleting all default .bgls that are related to Rio De Janeiro and the crash still happened.

Does anyone have any ideia of what can be done ?