Sign in to follow this  
XPX64man

Captain Mike Ray has a New NG Book

I just bought the download version of a new book that was released by Captain Mike Ray, who makes some great flightsim/airline instructional manuals.

737NG Training Syllabus Download.

http://utem.com/inde...40#!prettyPhoto

Here is the printed version:

http://www.utem.com/...uct_detail&p=34

I have purchased a lot of Mike Ray's books and I think they are the best learning tool for flight simulator.

I see a lot of people that have purchased the NGX and are looking for reliable instructional information on transitioning from using the default FSX GPS to the FMS/CDU of the 737NG. Cpt. Mike Ray is a retired United Airlines captain who has really focused on helping the flight sim community learn how to realistically fly complex airliners.

He has a great writing style that I love.

Also, there are a lot of $1 download articles that he has written for magazines like Computer Pilot, that are available on his website.

Was thinking of picking it up myself. What are your quick thoughts on it? Also is the download version Color? I see the Color printed is 90 bucks vice 40 sumthing for the B/W.

Was thinking of picking it up myself. What are your quick thoughts on it? Also is the download version Color? I see the Color printed is 90 bucks vice 40 sumthing for the B/W.

Yes, it is in beautiful color the same as the printed version. This book covers a LOT of material, plus you get a real good extra checklist (much longer than any I've previously seen) for the 737NG along the one within the book itself.

The book has like 360 pages along with a checklist at the end of the book that brings it to 371 pages.

It is divided into sections with each section divided into chapters. It also has several tutorial flights at different levels of skill, and a section on checkrides at the end of the book.

It really covers about everything there is to cover for actually piloting the 737NG including setting up the CDU/FMS and cockpit from "Cold and Dark".

He has sections of "Emergency Decent", "Diversion", "Vor Non-ILS Approach". It is really a good value for the price. I'm going to use it on my Nook color.

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

Your welcome guys. This is the one that Cpt. Mike has been working on since the NGX was released. It is mainly based on that, but applies to any high end NG simulation or the real aircraft.

Hi Dennis,

As I recall, the downloaded version is not printable, or if it is, very limited. You can email Mike Ray...mikeray@utem.com and ask him. He always replies to emails.

Regards

Geoff Bryce

Did anyone, who has already purchased the new book/download, notice that during the checkout process the website did not show it was secure? I got to the credit card entry page and the browser's url area didn't indicate a Lock icon or an https:// url. I stopped there and didn't make the purchase. I tried with Chrome, Safari and Firefox and had the same indication for each.

• Upvote 1

Is the downloadable version printable?

It doesn't look like it is printable. You probably need to get the actual books (either b/w or color version) to have a hard copy. I am using this download version on my Nook.

His website looks like it is down right now. I'm going to check later and see about also getting the regular book too, I'll look again to see if it shows as being secure.

I have purchased a lot of Cpt. Mike Ray's books from Utem, and never had any problems.

Does the book contain all flows as well as checklists?

Yes, it goes over all of the flows in great detail with illustrations, charts and arrows, breaking everything down so that it is very easy to understand.

Cpt. Mike Ray is a really expert teacher who makes the most complex systems, easy to understand and his style of writing makes them a pleasure to read about.

This book is perfect for someone who has never flown the NGX, yet probably detailed enough for a real pilot preparing for his 737NG check ride.

It is divided into two major sections. Level 1 and Level 2.

Level 1 introduces all of the flight panel systems in the 737NG, then takes the reader through a basic tutorial setup and flight.

Level 2, being for the more experienced NGX pilot. It also starts from the aircraft being cold and dark and is the biggest part of the book. It goes through preparing the cockpit, loading the CDU/FMC, engine start, details of all the different phases of the flight, emergencies, diversions, different kinds of approaches, then a checkride. Then there is a very detailed checklist. I mean, it don't just say "Cockpit Preparation", it goes through every step of the cockpit preparation. Just the cockpit preparation part of the checklist is two pages long.

I just found a treasure chest of Cpt. Mike Ray articles that are free to download as .pdf. This will give an idea of his writing style. Take a look. The website is in Dutch, but just click on the "download article" links. If you have Google Chrome, just right click and select "translate"

http://www.fsvisions.nl/site/content/view/61/7/

Hi Dennis,

As I recall, the downloaded version is not printable, or if it is, very limited. You can email Mike Ray...mikeray@utem.com and ask him. He always replies to emails.

Regards

Thanks Geoff and Robert

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Can anyone get on Captain Mike Ray's website now? It seems like it has been down since yesterday. I hope that he realizes it. ):