Hi guys, I have been reviewing computer monitors for the past few months now, and I have also been wondering...what is the difference between a HDTV and a computer Monitor?

I bought a Samsung 32" LED 3D Smart TV a few months ago, would it be worth it to get another one to use just as my computer monitor?

Regards, Ciaran Andrews

Try the one you have first.

I read that non 3D, 60 hz work better than the 120's.

~~ Gyspy~~!

When I rebuild I am going with a 40" or better.

Hi guys, I have been reviewing computer monitors for the past few months now, and I have also been wondering...what is the difference between a HDTV and a computer Monitor?

I bought a Samsung 32" LED 3D Smart TV a few months ago, would it be worth it to get another one to use just as my computer monitor?

Regards, Ciaran Andrews

I use two triple HDTV setups right now.

On my tactical Flight Sim and Racing Pit I have three 40" LED's

On my 737 I have three 60" Plasma's

Both are great, been using HDTV's as monitors since 2005......

I'm voting for a monitor, with a TV you will not get the same resolution as a monitor can deliver. Even a 1080p 32" will only give you a resolution of 1920x1080 vs. with a high end 30" monitor you will be able to achieve resolutions of 2560x1600, high end 27" monitors can also deliver very high resolutions. Color is another point which you will want to look at as computer monitors will generally be able to produce a wider color spectrum.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I hooked up my TV to my computer last night, all is looking well apart from the brightness... Is there any way to tone down the screen brightness instead of using NVIDIA's brightness settings, that only darken the screen in different individual areas?

I've never seen FSX look so good! Quality is incredible, and I don't see any blur in the distance. Just saved myself around €500...

I hooked up my TV to my computer last night, all is looking well apart from the brightness... Is there any way to tone down the screen brightness instead of using NVIDIA's brightness settings, that only darken the screen in different individual areas?

I've never seen FSX look so good! Quality is incredible, and I don't see any blur in the distance. Just saved myself around €500...

Have you tried adjusting the brightness of the TV using its controls, not the video card ones?

Funny I don't notice any color or size issues.....

John,

You have a very nice setup there, I am simply referring to the fact that a computer monitor when setup properly and calibrated can produce a wider and more accurate color array. The basic example is a background picture, a monitor when set up properly can and will display more accurate colors to a TV which has been set up properly. This is of course assuming that the monitor and TV are in the same quality catargory of their own class.

To the OP,

Unless you are running a set ups like john's (Which I'm sure all of us would love to have) I would still vote for a monitor. I sit at a 72" by 36" and use a Dell U3011, sitting about 48" away its huge, I also gain the ability to work on many tasks when not flight simming. With that said, if you are budget limited a TV might be a better way to go as you will gain more screen area for less cost. A 32E5000 by samsung averages $449.99 comapared to a U3011 which is $1399.99, the samung is $14.06 an inch vs the dell which is $46.66 an inch.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Have you tried adjusting the brightness of the TV using its controls, not the video card ones?

Awesome... thank you. Didn't think of that :wink:

Hey Tom, yes, you are right. If I was using it for dual purpose, for something like photoshop, I would look for a nice IPS screen with good accuracy that could be dialed in.

For simming though I'm not worried if the grass is the correct shade of green, for me it's all about the immersion factor whether its the 737 with the triple 60's or the smaller tactical sim with its triple 40's. I want to fell as though I'm "there" and see the widest field of view possible without distorting. From a cost perspective I suppose we all have different versions of what's reasonable, but the three 40's I use on another sim were $264 each, and the three 60" ones were $810 each delivered. For 165" x 32" of visuals, I think $2400 is a pretty good deal and a great fit for the full size sim.

In the end it all boils down to taste, what's important for you, budget and space. I think the OP already had a TV, so it certainly fits his budget and he was nearly asking if he could use what he had. He seems pleased with the results and I would be as well.

Not discounting your setup in the least bit!

John