Sign in to follow this  
MarioB

IBT, Real Temp and the AVSIM S/H Guide for FSX

Thanks AVSIM for a great guide,

Started overclocking for the first time yesterday using the steps recommended. This is a question regarding core temps and stability (using i3770K, Cooler Master EVO 212 & P8z77-v Pro)

1. IBT tests are successful at all levels running from 4.1 to 4.5GHz (1.2v core)
  2. Real Temp shows temps reaching 90-94 for the max stress level @ 4.5GHz
  3. FSX Guide p.6, mentions that i7-2 & 3xxxk series can easily run @ 4.5 GHz on their stock cooler. P.7 states that below 80 C the system is fine w/ FSX, but 90C may be close to maximum.
  4. Web recommendations for this combo varies between 4.1 or 4.5. Higher values can be reached with better cooling.

Just trying to make sense of the info above.

The system shows stable but the temps are quite high - for a maximum load.

From my perspective, running @v 4.5 should be OK since I will never reach the severity of the IBT test.

Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks again to all who made this guide possible, the linear approach to set FSX is very well done.

Yep, this is about right, Mario..

but..".Real Temp shows temps reaching 90-94 for the max stress level @ 4.5GHz"

The 26 and 2700's overclock in the low 4 gig's very easily and reliably on their stock coolers, but if your RealTemp is going past 81 or 2 at 4.5 - with that big Cooler Master, then it's time to look at the joint between the proc and the base of the cooler, and at the paste used.

What I would do - what I would suggest is getting a couple of square feet of plate glass, some very fine grinding paste, some paint cutting polish, and some metal polish, then take the proc off the mobo, and grind the top surface until she's flat and shining like a mirror, and then do the same to the cooler base, then do the same with the two faces together, bu just using the metal polish. You want the maximum surface contact possible. When you're ready to mount the cooler, place a 4 - 5 mm ball/blob of your favorite goop in the center of the proc, and then follow the cooler install procedure for it's correct attachment and pressure.

Prolimatech PK1

Arctic Silver

Liquid Pro

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Paul,

That's quite the fix...I am not sure I will grind the CPU and cooler bases for now anyway. But it's always good to know.

Is there a simpler way to increase the contacts by using a special kind of paste? This is the first time I actually used a different cooler and I used the paste provided. Maybe I didn't put enough on the surfaces...

Regarding the temps, they are quite high indeed but again this was under the max stress load. The temps are in the 70-80's when the IBT test are "Standard". Is the latter setting a better approximation of the FSX work load?

Paul,

Forgot to mention that I also tracked the core temp with the ASUS CPU Sensor provided with the AI Suite II. The temp stabilized at 71C during the IBT tests at maximum settings. This result is quite different than the ones obtain by Real Temp.

Forgot to mention that I also tracked the core temp with the ASUS CPU Sensor provided with the AI Suite II. The temp stabilized at 71C during the IBT tests at maximum settings. This result is quite different than the ones obtain by Real Temp.

If you hang out in the Asus forums on any of the overclocking sites you'll quickly learn that the CPU temps reported by AI Suite II are incorrect by about -10c. For example, on my rig when three other temp monitoring utilities (RealTemp, HWInfo and AIDA64) are reporting 36c at idle, AI Suite II reports 26c. Why they've never fixed this I do not know.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Yup. COA is right... I can't say "all" but most overclocking sites will suggest using CPU-Z, GPU-Z, CoreTemp (or RealTemp), OCCT, IBT, LinX, and Prime95 to test and monitor the o/c, and set the whole thing in BIOS, having first deleted AISuite.....

:smile:

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks coa1117 and Paul,

I will stick with monitoring tools mentioned in the guide. I have used AI Suite II to OC my CPU and regretted it...

With the CM EVO 212 I may get 4.2- 4.3. Would there be a significany advantage to FSX by getting a liquid cooling unit in order to get higher CPU clock frequencies?

It would be "peace of mind", Mario. :smile:

I purchased my component style water system to cool the i7-950, in an attempt to get it to, or even over, the 4.5 gig mark, which it almost did: 4.48 is where I had to stop, as I think she would have melted before hitting 5.

Anyway within a few weeks the 2600K took it's place, ironically not needing the heavy-duty wc system that I currently have, but she runs, very quietly, 3 x 120 mm fans and a triple radiator, temps sitting around 50 - 55c with FSX going as hard as she can! Prior to that I had a Cool IT "Vantage" ALC Cooler which was a piece of xxxx, and was given away pdq, and replaced by this real cooler.

Honestly - I think that a very good air unit would work, but I would prefer the compactness and convenience of something like one of the Corsair High-Performance Hydro coolers - I would rather "overcool" - than the system being merely "adequate" - which is what air mostly is.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

See sig link for de-lidding procedure. Your temps will go down to the 60's or 70's at the same clockspeed even with your current cooler. I see temps mostly in the 40's in FSX, 70's when stress testing at 4.9GHz with my i7 3770k + water cooling.

Wow, de-lidding! After some surfing, the results look quite impressive! Thank you TechGuyMaxC.

I may attemp this in the future, it doesn't look to complex, just one question. The TIM I have available at my local computer shop are the Arctic Cooling & Arctic Silver compounds, would that be adequate?

Paul, regarding the water cooler, I will go for the Corsair either the 80i or the 100i. The latter seems to have fan noise issues.

Mario, you can use any aftermarket thermal compound but my testing shows the "off the shelf" compounds are good for about a 10 degree C drop on average whereas the liquid metal compounds can drop temps in excess of 20 degrees C.

The 80 looks good, but two rads/fans is only an extra $10...hmmmm..... however - most comparisons show only one to two degrees c between the two, so either is a good choice, isn't it? :lol:

If you hang out in the Asus forums on any of the overclocking sites you'll quickly learn that the CPU temps reported by AI Suite II are incorrect by about -10c. For example, on my rig when three other temp monitoring utilities (RealTemp, HWInfo and AIDA64) are reporting 36c at idle, AI Suite II reports 26c. Why they've never fixed this I do not know.

Think you may be mixing up where Asus meaasure temp, and where utilities like Real Temp take their measurements. Asus temp monitoring doesn't measure core temp, so that's why it's cooler. Doesn't mean it's innacurate. I believe Asus measure temp from a probe in the socket. IIRC It's not Tcase or Tjunction.

As for stress testing...

It's worth mentioning that both Asus, and Intel do "not" recommend IBT for stress testing Ivy Bridge. It doesn't test all the CPU's parameters and tends to overheat

Aida 64 is recommended. Prime seems to be okay now with the latest version.

Just to mention, never use two utilities in the same time to measure a temperatures, both could show the wrong results. Use Core Temp or Real Temp for that.

BTW - I heard the same like Martin W. about Ivy Bridge and stress testing.

In my opinion, de-lidding is the must for Ivy Bridge, you should do this and use some good termal paste. Your temps are too high for that overclock

Regarding the recommendation to use Aida64, Martin: this costs U$40... and unless one is a serious overclocker, or does this as a hobby or profession - not too many cost-conscious FSX flyers are going to buy that in addition to all the other costs of building a pc.

If ASUS and Intel both do not recommend IBT - which, I believe uses LinX - what do they recommend besides Aida?

Also - that Prime95 "seems" ok, doesn't IBT "seem" ok, too? What does it do that will show this?