Sign in to follow this  
MarioB

IBT, Real Temp and the AVSIM S/H Guide for FSX

the guide mentions an OC of 4.5 GHz with the stock cooler

I'm been testing a new build with the stock cooler and I would not do any overclocking with it other than the default turbo boost, which is 2 cores at 3.9 ghz or 4 cores at 3.7 ghz on my Asus P8Z77. Perhaps I have some bad hardware, but I am hitting an 80C CPU core temperature with 4 cores at 3.7 ghz. on a 3770k.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Guys, there is absolutely no way in hell that I would overclock to 4.5 GHz with the rubbish Intel cooler. Your temps WILL be very excessive. Quiet frankly it does not have the surface area to dissipate heat efficiently. It is NOT designed for overclocking.

Liquid cooling is better than air cooling, IF you are using a full blown custom water cooling kit. Most of the "all in one" coolers are not the same. Yes, they use water, but that's where the similarity ends. The top air coolers these days are very efficient and will give most of the "all in one" watter coolers a run for their money. You will also find that the "all in one" water coolers, are often very noisy. That's how they achieve their "seemingly" impressive cooling. If you installed the same super noisy, high rpm fans on an NH-D14, the D14 would beat it.

The new Corsair H100i on the other hand, is a different matter, as Corsair have improved the fans, and the coolers efficiency. The H80i on the other hand, lacks the radiator surface area of the H100i, and can't be expected to compete with it. The H80i will also, not be able to compete with my Noctua NH-D14.

The high values I obtained were due to a slight offset between the water block and the CPU. The values obtained now are 60C instead of 90C. Paul was correct, the contact has to be dead on to work properly. Thanks all for your participation! If anyone ever encounters high values with their cooling system, this might be worth investigating.

Time to fly!

Glad you got it fixed, Mario!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Closing remarks on this topic.

The H80i cooler was certainly worth it. Temps for overclocking the i3770K at 4.5 GHz with 1.2v are around 60-65C using LinX. Learned a lot, thanks to you guys :P

Overclocking manually with the ASUS P8z77-v Pro BIOS was straightforward when you follow simple instructions

Finished following the fsx guide offered by AVSIM in conjunction with these great videos http://www.youtube.com/user/RotationFSX.

Now the sim is smooth and realistic as the real thing.

On another AVSIM post, someone mentioned that for a newbie, the sim hobby involves a lot of learning; besides flying you have to know much about computer hardware/software... very true indeed.

The guide was very helpful. Great job and thanks.

Actually, I think you have a good chip there. 1.2 volts at 4.5 is very good.

I need 1.304 volts at 4.5.

That's why your temps are low, it's the low voltage you can get away with. It's the low voltage I suspect, rather than the awesomeness of the cooler.

You should be able to get a higher clock with ease, with a better cooler, like my NH-D14, or the new Corsiar H100i.

Just finished a dedicated Fsx build using the exact same components. I7 3770K, Asus Z77 pro with The Cooler master hyper 212 EVO. I think people underestimate how important it is to properly prepare and apply thermal paste to thecpu/heat sink. Anyway, achieved 4.5 GHZ stable (running prime 95 with max temps at around 78C) doing nothing more than setting the turbo ratio to manual and setting it to X45 and letting the bios configure the voltages, DRAM timings, etc. Extremely pleased with the results. As usual, I have hyper threading disabled and also disabled the turbo mode function to allow it to run locked at 4.5 GHZ. No crashes, BSOD's, or freezes yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Sounds good Adam, if it's stable, who's to complain.

If all is on auto though, I bet you could drop those temps a bit with lower volts. Auto volts tend to go a tad over.

What is your voltage by the way? I'd be interested to compare, as mine seems to need high volts.

Agree regardingTIM, but it's not rocket science though. I use the single blob method. Tests done by Innovation Cooling who make the diamond paste, indicate that it's the best method to avoid voids. Has always worked very well indeed for me.

These are my settings Adam, that work very well indeed...

UEFI Advanced Mode F7

Ai Tweaker

AI Overclock Tuner: XMP

BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100

Asus Multi-Core Enhancement: Enabled

Turbo Ratio: Manual

Ratio Synchronizing Control: Enabled

Core Ratio's: 45

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Auto

CPU Bus Speed: Auto

Memory Frequency: 2133 [Set by XMP]

EPU Power Saving: Disabled

OC Tuner: Leave Alone

Dram Timing Control: Set by XMP

CPU Power Management:

Ratio Auto

Speed Step Enabled

Turbo Mode Enabled

Turbo Mode Parameters All Auto

DIGI Power Control

Load Line Calibration: Auto

CPU Power Phase Control: Optimised

CPU Voltage: Offset

Offset Voltage: 0.030 [Results in I.304 Volts Under Load]

Hyper Threading: Off

Sounds good Adam, if it's stable, who's to complain.

If all is on auto though, I bet you could drop those temps a bit with lower volts. Auto volts tend to go a tad over.

What is your voltage by the way? I'd be interested to compare, as mine seems to need high volts.

Agree regardingTIM, but it's not rocket science though. I use the single blob method. Tests done by Innovation Cooling who make the diamond paste, indicate that it's the best method to avoid voids. Has always worked very well indeed for me.

These are my settings Adam, that work very well indeed...

[/font][/color][/b][/size]

my v core volts are variable so its a little hard to compare. I see it jump to just under 1.300 under load but usually quite a bit less than that. I could do some manual tweaking but I guess I'm getting lazier as time passes LOL.

Oh right, so you are using an off-set voltage. In that case your voltage isn't much lower than mine if you see just under 1.3.

My voltage is 0.030 off-set. Under load 1.304.