Sign in to follow this  
tamba765

Filtering Airport Displays on ND

Is there a way to filter airports that display on the ND, according to runway length? It's possible to do this with the PMDG 747, but I can't find anything in the 737 menu about it. The feature really helps reduce the clutter on the ND, especially at larger distance scales. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

I'm not certain, but I'm betting the NGX's airport data comes from the navdata files you're updating with Navigraph/Aerosoft/whoever. You could probably pull some of them out of the files. My sim rig is down, though, so I can't check it for you.

Kyle Rodgers

That would be really a helpful option to have in a future update.

Rafael Henrique Carelli

That would be really a helpful option to have in a future update.

There isn't a way to filter in real life. All the airports in the FMC database are displayed if within range.

There isn't a way to filter in real life. All the airports in the FMC database are displayed if within range.

They are displayed as an airline option.

Rafael Henrique Carelli

They are displayed as an airline option.

Well you learn something everyday. Thanks. How do you filter them?

We can't filter them in real NG. Its an airline database option, for example, we started flying to SBAE couple years a go and since them, it wasn't appearing on the ND. The airline requested it to be on the database, and BINGO, there it is.

Non database airports operations (which are rare) has to be manually inserted and raw data flown.

But, we have plenty runways on the NGX, much more than in real life (at least in Brazil) and it would be interesting to have an option to narrow it to runways with certain lenght, for example.

Rafael Henrique Carelli

The problem is that runway length is too much of a catch all. There are several private airports that would get caught in that, and several airlines airports that would get filtered out. It's a lot more feasible with a large aircraft like the 744 (which had the filter in the PMDG options menu), because runway length is more restrictive for the aircraft.

Additionally, if they only did it in the database, it would just be overwritten the first time someone updated the database with Navigraph/Aerosoft.

Kyle Rodgers

We can't filter them in real NG. Its an airline database option, for example, we started flying to SBAE couple years a go and since them, it wasn't appearing on the ND. The airline requested it to be on the database, and BINGO, there it is.

Ahh! I assumed it was standard. Jeez, are Boeing charging for anything additional to wings and engines these days?

FWIW, I seem to recall an instructor during my type rating onto the Classic telling the class that the display filtered runways to a minimum length. A figure of 2000m is in my head, but this doesn't make sense because I used to fly into Seletar, SIngapore quite a lot which is a little over 1800m which appeared on the ND. 1500m would start to make sense.

However, there is nothing in the Classic nor NG FCOMs (or any other source I can find) to support this, so I suspect it might have been duff info.

Ahh! I assumed it was standard. Jeez, are Boeing charging for anything additional to wings and engines these days?

Its actually probably one of the big three LIDO/Jeppessen/NavTech in this case.

It takes money to keep up with an airport for a provider, so they ask money for each airport you want to have.

As a sidenote, we simmers get the updates quite cheap, very much just because someone, somewhere is paying big bucks for them.

NavTech is supplying these data to Navigraph and LIDO to Aerosoft.

If you want US-only, you can actually get it pretty cheaply, but that doesn't help a good number of people.

Kyle Rodgers