Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

ai_player.dll ?

Anyone know exactly what this file does or doesn't do? It seems to give me no end of grief in FSX. Especially on exiting:-(

Anyone know exactly what this file does or doesn't do? It seems to give me no end of grief in FSX. Especially on exiting:-(

It is responsible for running the AI traffic, from traffic BGLs or plans submitted for traffic added through SimConnect (as UT2 does).

Sounds like you have either corrupt traffic BGLs or possibly something like UT2 still trying to update whilst you are exiting.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

It is responsible for running the AI traffic, from traffic BGLs or plans submitted for traffic added through SimConnect (as UT2 does).

Sounds like you have either corrupt traffic BGLs or possibly something like UT2 still trying to update whilst you are exiting.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete and thanks for that.

I don't have UT2 installed. I have MyTrafficX Pro54, but could that do the same? The dll crashes FSX on almost every exit now. I do have some extra traffic BGL files from various freeware packages. Maybe I can try to locate them.

I don't have UT2 installed. I have MyTrafficX Pro54, but could that do the same? The dll crashes FSX on almost every exit now. I do have some extra traffic BGL files from various freeware packages. Maybe I can try to locate them.

All the traffic BGLs should be in your Scenery\World\Scenery folder, and the names should be reasonably obvious. You could try first moving them all out, to say a subfolder called "Saved", and test again. You won't have any traffic, but if the problem doesn't occur then you know it has to be related to one or more of those files. Then bring them back bit by bit, testing each time. Maybe the Pro54 files will be easily identifiable so you could bring those back first.

Of course, the traffic BGLs invoke AI aircraft, so another possibility is a problem with one or other AI-added aircraft. That would take rather longer to narrow down.

Regards

Pete

Many thanks Pete.

In 30 mins you've given me more to go on than i've had in 30 weeks!! The great resourse as ever you are

:-)

Hello Phil

In addition to what Pete wrote.

Another cause for FSX crashing on exit and related to “ai_player.dll” can be a bugged airport BGL. As in the case of the ORBX KSEA bgl included in the ORBX PNW SP5.

Do you own ORBX PNW scenery?

If so, the solution in that case is to replace that file with the PNW SP4a KSEA bgl. (Available from their site)

BTW: I don’t know about MyTrafficX Pro54, but I got MyTrafficX 2013 and its traffic bgls are not under FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery, but under the FSX \MyTraffic\Scenery.

Cheers.

I have loads of Orbx stuff. Should've guessed that might an issue.

Another question then please, now that I know what this relates to...?

If FSX crashes on exit due to this problem (which it does), does that also mean it was due to an AI traffic issue at the actual airport I was at, or could it be anywhere?

Thanks

Another question then please, now that I know what this relates to...?

If FSX crashes on exit due to this problem (which it does), does that also mean it was due to an AI traffic issue at the actual airport I was at, or could it be anywhere?

Thanks

From my own experience (same crash as you until I replaced the file) plus what Holger and other posters said: The traffic issue happens wherever you are in the PNW NA, regardless of your current airport.

Apparently the problem in that bugged KSEA bgl is related to ramps/gates being too close to other objects and/or exclusions and/or broken links. Thus when AI assigns aircraft to those spots you get the FSX crash.

Lastly, the issue I pointed is only one more cause of the ai_player.dll exit crash; as Pete described there are other causes due to bugged traffic bgls or AI aircraft.

Cheers.

From my own experience (same crash as you until I replaced the file) plus what Holger and other posters said: The traffic issue happens wherever you are in the PNW NA, regardless of your current airport.

Apparently the problem in that bugged KSEA bgl is related to ramps/gates being too close to other objects and/or exclusions and/or broken links. Thus when AI assigns aircraft to those spots you get the FSX crash.

Lastly, the issue I pointed is only one more cause of the ai_player.dll exit crash; as Pete described there are other causes due to bugged traffic bgls or AI aircraft.

Cheers.

I doubt it's PNW in my case, as it's happening at San Diego!

Corrupt airport data could affect your own flights or AI aircraft, depending who references it. If the crash is in AI_Player it will probably (but not certainly) be because corrupt data was accessed by AI Traffic, whatever that data might be.

There is one other scenario. Corrupt data of any type, any where, can cause completely unrelated data elsewhere to be incorrectly overwritten at some other time, hence also corrupted, and during some other activity. That subsequent corruption may well not affect things immediately. Hence, possibly, only on exit when things are being "tidied up".

That sort of error is hideously difficult to track down as cause and effect are separated in both space AND time.

My advice remains the same initially, Check the nearest and likeliest first, then work outwards from that if necessary.

Regards

Pete

Corrupt airport data could affect your own flights or AI aircraft, depending who references it. If the crash is in AI_Player it will probably (but not certainly) be because corrupt data was accessed by AI Traffic, whatever that data might be.

There is one other scenario. Corrupt data of any type, any where, can cause completely unrelated data elsewhere to be incorrectly overwritten at some other time, hence also corrupted, and during some other activity. That subsequent corruption may well not affect things immediately. Hence, possibly, only on exit when things are being "tidied up".

That sort of error is hideously difficult to track down as cause and effect are separated in both space AND time.

My advice remains the same initially, Check the nearest and likeliest first, then work outwards from that if necessary.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete

That sounds like bitter experience talking there lol ;-)

Well I just started getting this crash as well. Mine started right after I installed FSDT Vancouver. Any ideas? Worth uninstalling FSDT Vancouver to see if it resolves the crash?

When running FSX Acceleration it runs great. I only get the crash after closing FSX. System specs as follows:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit

Corei5 2500K (unclocked)

8GB G-Skill RAM

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)

XFX Radeon HD 7870DD 256bit GDDR5 2GB (CCC-13.4)

Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Gamer (drivers are current)

1TB Hitachi SATA-3 (FSX drive)

1TB Seagate SATA-2 (OS Drive)

LG Blue ray burner

Rosewill Challenger case

Antec 650w PSU

FSX Acceleration Add ons:

Complete Ultimate Terrain series (all current)

All GEX versions

REX Essential Plus (current version)

Traffic 360 Version 1.09

World Ground Traffic X

Accu feel v2 AL&S

VRS Superbug

Vancouver Plus V3 & Victoria+

FSDT KLAX

Latin VFR San Diego v1.1

as well as many other add on aircraft and airport add ons...too many to remember.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

Sorry you're having this.  I got so frustrated with it I ended up with a new reinstall (AGAIN!) Try disabling it before rmoving it.

Sorry you're having this.  I got so frustrated with it I ended up with a new reinstall (AGAIN!) Try disabling it before rmoving it.

Thanks for the reply. I'v confirmed I only get it when flying at FSDT Vancouver and only when exiting FSX from FSDT Vancouver. Odd, very odd. I'm using My Traffic X 5.4c (newest version). I've spoke with FSDT and they're certain it's unrelated to their software. They state it has something to do with the AI program. The weird thing is I switched from Just Flight Traffic 360 to My Traffic X 5.4c to try and resolve this issue but it did not fix the problem.

I had no crash until I installed FSDT Vancouver (with either AI program insalled). I uninstalled FSDT Vancouver and the crash disappears even when using either AI program.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU