Sign in to follow this  
Need-To-Know

Paint kit for 206 Tail Art backwards.

I posted this in the painters area too. But not much activity there.:

So this is my first paint. I am using Carenados paint kit for the 206.

When I add the logo to the tail it is reversed on one side.

In the paint kit it shows both sides of the tail.

Carenado-206-Fuse3.jpg

Carenado-206-Fuse.jpg

1313.jpg

1212.jpg

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Just try to mirror that logo on the bitmap (tail), first check witch side. Didn't you had to do this with the reg number on one side too? sorry never did a C206.

Hope this can help you, the paint looks nice!

What "dolf57" said.

THEN:

Very nice looking repaint!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the compliments! You have both made me want to pursue this hobby (repaints) a lot more.

So I have tried your suggestions but still have the same effect. Also I have searched the web to see if anyone has been able to figure out a way to get both sides to show but have had no luck.

Have you FP actually been able to add words on a 206 tail and not have them reversed on one side?

I wish Carenado would just chime in and say if it is possible or not.

Rob

Have you FP actually been able to add words on a 206 tail and not have them reversed on one side?

Yes. When applying the image in the .bmp template you need to reverse it on that one side (right side). Flip the Tropical Ocean logo horizontally so that it looks backwards before you position it. In your paint program it should look backwards in that .bmp file. If you flip it to backwards in the paint program it will come out looking like you want in FSX. Only do that for that one side.

This happens in quite a number of paint schemes and it is not limited to those by Carenado. In the case of this model the tail numbers both appear on one .bmp template so neither one needs to be reversed. If the model sections with the tail numbers were split, one on one template and one on the other template, then its likely one of them would have needed to be reversed as well.

I do more recoloring than repainting. i.e. I haven't laid graphics patterns of my own. But I do routinely replace tail numbers and add an occasional logo as well.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

When applying the image in the .bmp template you need to reverse it on that one side (right side). Flip the Tropical Ocean logo horizontally so that it looks backwards before you position it. In your paint program it should look backwards in that .bmp file. If you flip it to backwards in the paint program it will come out looking like you want in FSX. Only do that for that one side.

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond!

I am afraid I just tried that and while the left side is now "somewhat" correct the right side is reversed in the sim. When I say "somewhat" I mean I had wanted to have the bird (in the logo) pointing forward on both sides, like the real world AC (I designed). But I realize this must be a limitation on this AC.

I would not mind learning to work on the model itself since I work in 3D programs - just have not dove into FSX modeling yet. But researching this over the last few days.

Again thank you - If you want I to give it a shot I could send you any files. (but that would be way above and beyond just giving advice and I surly would not expect that).

Rob

Why not just select and copy the 'Tropic Ocean' part of the logo and reverse that. Then paste it into reversed copy, cut the Tropic ocean from the original.

....if you get what I mean. :huh:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks Ron,

You do get what I mean :) and that differently would keep the bird facing correct - however it seems whatever is on the right side is just mirrored on the left. So even if I reverse the just the words then they are backwards on the right but correct on the left.

Who knows - since this is my first repaint I could be doing something wrong. :blink:

Rob

Since the templates definitely have both sides of the vertical stabilizer on two separate texture sheets, the intentions were that they should be individually 'paintable.'

Since this clearly is not the case, then I can only surmise that they screwed up the UVW Mapping for the starboard (right) side and instead are using the port (left) side for both... :wacko:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since the templates definitely have both sides of the vertical stabilizer on two separate texture sheets, the intentions were that they should be individually 'paintable.'

Since this clearly is not the case, then I can only surmise that they screwed up the UVW Mapping for the starboard (right) side and instead are using the port (left) side for both... :wacko:

Are you sure about this? Just doesn't sound right. I don't have the 206 so can't investigate. Hasn't anyone else posted 206 repaints? Someone who has completed a repaint should know.

Rob, if this gets sorted out then I like Ron's idea of just reversing that band that contains the words.

I'd would accept an emailed file from you but could not test it out as I don't have the model to load afterwards.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

EDIT: I've just taken a look at the textures and I'm amazed you got that far with the paint! I can only find one tail fin. So how on earth...? I've never done a Carenado, I can see why.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks - Someone did tell me it might not be possible. They said on the other 206 models you could have separate tails but not on the amphib.

Not one to give up easy I will keep at it. :Thinking:

For now I will just look at it from one side hehe. I am going to make a movie (another first).

Maybe something for you guys efforts to help me:

The real plane (I designed the graphics for):

132122.jpg

Mine:

dsfs.jpg

It flies from Miami Sea Plane Base X44 to Bimini.

17.jpg

643.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A11-vHymXlY

PS Ron if you want to give it a go - What kind of file format do you work in? I use Photoshop but can save it to whatever.

Rob

Thanks - Someone did tell me it might not be possible. They said on the other 206 models you could have separate tails but not on the amphib.

Never saw something like that before. So then the question might become "does the amphibian borrow from another texture?"

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Never saw something like that before. So then the question might become "does the amphibian borrow from another texture?"

You may be on to something.

To create the paint I downloaded the Blank from Carenado's site. And watched a Youtube video on how to apply the texture.

I was unable to get the texture to apply according to the video.

Video instructed:

Open folder:

F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado Cessna 206 Float\Aircraft.CFG

Here is where I think you are on to something.

The 206 Amphip. comes with 2 variations. Here are the lines:

[fltsim.0]
title=C 206 Amphibian
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=ES
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=Carenado C 206 Amphibian_check
kb_reference=Carenado C 206 Amphibian_ref
atc_id=N366DL
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_type=C U206G Stationair 6 II
ui_createdby="Carenado"
ui_variation=Amphibian Extreme Sports
description=Carenado C Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Extreme Sports\t\nwww.carenado.com\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nIMPORTANT!!   READ HERE\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nGear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nGear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nAlso water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats)\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nToggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat \t\n_______________________________________________\t\nPlease read documents included in the Pack\t\n_______________________________________________\t\n
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1

[fltsim.1]
title=C 206 Amphibian 2
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=Bush
panel=
sound=
texture=b
atc_id=N366DL
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_createdby="Carenado"
ui_variation=Amphibian Bush
description=Carenado C Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Bush Plane www.carenado.com\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nIMPORTANT!!   READ HERE\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nGear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nGear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nAlso water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats)\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nToggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat \t\n_______________________________________________\t\nPlease read documents included in the Pack\t\n_______________________________________________\t\n
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1

As I understood it in a regular repaint you copy the first set - [fltsim.0] - and create another set. Here is mine:

[fltsim.3]
title=C 206 Fly
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=FlyTropic
panel=
sound=
texture=c
atc_id=N355TA
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_createdby="Carenado"
ui_variation=Amphibian Fly
description=Carenado C Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Extreme Sports\t\nwww.carenado.com\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nIMPORTANT!! READ HERE\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nGear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nGear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nAlso water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats)\t\n_______________________________________________\t\nToggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat \t\n_______________________________________________\t\nPlease read documents included in the Pack\t\n_______________________________________________\t\n
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1

Then copy the texture file "Texture" paste it with a file name like "Texture.c"

Then I change the two textures: "Carendao 206 Fuse" and the "Carendao 206 Fuse3"

This method did not work. The plane would never show up under select AC in FSX.

Looking at the file included with the original install - "Texture.b" there is only 2 files in it. One thumbnail and a "texture.cfg" .

The "Texture.cfg" file reads:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

In the end I just replaced the textures in the original "Carenado 206 Fuse" and "Carenado 206 Fuse3" in the "Texture" file as I did not care to fly their paint anyways and it was simpler.

I use Photoshop to edit and then run the textures thru DXPBmp and save as Extended Bitmap.

Rob

EDIT: I've just taken a look at the textures and I'm amazed you got that far with the paint! I can only find one tail fin.

Rob,

I also just took a look at the two bmp templates you showed in your original post. It appears there is a tail section in each template, but looking at them closely the shape at the top of them is different. Is one perhaps from the amphibian and the other perhaps not??

Frank Patton
ASUS