Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Future PMDG Aircraft: More intensive on the CPU?

Hi guys;

A lot of people here say they get better performance in the NGX comparing to the older PMDG 744X, a lot of people say otherwise. I agree with the latter.

The situation and question is this: As PMDG continue to develop aircraft, in time, does this get more intensive on the processor/cpu, in comparison to the GPU.

Currently, I have underclocked my processor from 4.7ghz to 3.8ghz as I am waiting on spare parts for my cooler.

I find performance is only very slightly changed in the 747, but significantly in the NGX; thus suggesting that the NGX is more resource hungry on the processor. Slightly contradicting what PMDG were saying on the run up to release of the ngx, that it would perform better than their other aircraft.

Graphically, we are all agreed that the NGX is the superior compared to it's older cousin, however, should this impact the cpu so much?

The point of this, is that I am concerned about the 777 performance, it has been said by pmdg staff that in theory it should perform better as it has a 'flatter' flightdeck with less polygons, but this would effect graphical performance not cpu..

What are your guys thoughts?

Kind Regards,

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I think history shows that over time all demands on system specs go up...

If it's because of improved graphics I can live with it, but I sometimes get the feeling that it's also because every possible system fault has been programmed into the aircraft as well.

I think on release day, the avsim forums are going to be crowded with complaints about bugs/fps/stutters and OOM issues. There is no way this 777 is going to get along with Large payware airports/Orbx/weather addons and other products.

it has been said by pmdg staff that in theory it should perform better as it has a 'flatter' flightdeck with less polygons, but this would effect graphical performance not cpu..

Kind Regards,

well, I guess they are not going to advertise that it's bad on fps :lol: it's all about $$$$. No dev is honest before release, look at what happened with the new Aliens game released a couple of weeks ago. Thousands of people complaining for a refund.

That is a good question and when I think about this from time to time I am on the fence about this 50/50.

However, my personally belief is that with the advances in technology I lean toward future PMDG (and for that matter other developer add-on) products being more system friendly, giving us more detailed products which are more FPS friendly and run on our current to date systems.

However, FSX is the only gremlin that could/would put a damper on this. Which if that is the case, I don't think it would be a far stretch to say someone could at some point produce a product to fix FSX's faults and allow for a more user friendly platform for future add-on's.

I think Ryan may have a better grasp on answering this question since he is involved in the day to day operations of add-on development.

Or maybe I'm just crazy!

John

My own experience was that when the NGX was initially released, it sucked the life out of my pc, BUT that was because I had slightly older pc spares, I was running a Core2Duo back then. It also has to be said that it only happened at the larger airports too.

Then, when PMDG released their performance manager, I turned everything down to low as I found the displays hurt the FPS the most. Then the next service pack was released and I could use everything on high except for the displays, or only this displays with everything else se to low details.

Then, with the arrival of service pack 1c, I could use everything on high, and since I upgraded from Duo to Quad, I have really good performance, everything on high. Like RSR said during the interview when the fund raiser was held, they took a bit of time but they are now at a stage where they feel comfortable and "good" at developing for FSX, and I have to say the results speak for themselves in a big way :-).

I don't fear that the 777 will have a huge impact on your system, bugs, maybe yes, but I think we will be surprised at just how well the 777 will run on our rigs from the word go. I think the NGX has been a tough but valuable test bed for the PMDG team and we will see the rewards of that hard work in all their future products. Cannot wait!

Kind regards

Hi guys;

A lot of people here say they get better performance in the NGX comparing to the older PMDG 744X, a lot of people say otherwise. I agree with the latter.

The situation and question is this: As PMDG continue to develop aircraft, in time, does this get more intensive on the processor/cpu, in comparison to the GPU.

Currently, I have underclocked my processor from 4.7ghz to 3.8ghz as I am waiting on spare parts for my cooler.

I find performance is only very slightly changed in the 747, but significantly in the NGX; thus suggesting that the NGX is more resource hungry on the processor. Slightly contradicting what PMDG were saying on the run up to release of the ngx, that it would perform better than their other aircraft.

Graphically, we are all agreed that the NGX is the superior compared to it's older cousin, however, should this impact the cpu so much?

The point of this, is that I am concerned about the 777 performance, it has been said by pmdg staff that in theory it should perform better as it has a 'flatter' flightdeck with less polygons, but this would effect graphical performance not cpu..

Kind Regards,

How bad can it be? I have a CPU at 3.00.

I get the best frames in the NGX over every other aircraft. From the Level-D to Carenado's SR22! If we see more in the 777 then all the better. Ever thought maybe it's not the NGX that's being intensive - but it's everything else on top of your FSX? I.e. AS2012/REX & Add-on scenery.

I get the best frames in the NGX over every other aircraft. From the Level-D to Carenado's SR22! If we see more in the 777 then all the better. Ever thought maybe it's not the NGX that's being intensive - but it's everything else on top of your FSX? I.e. AS2012/REX & Add-on scenery.

I agree completely. I have been simming since FS 98 and when I got FSX I decided to keep it clean. I have FSUIPC unregistered AS2012 and aircraft. All sliders to the right and I could not ask for a better running rig.

Thanks,

Ron

I agree completely. I have been simming since FS 98 and when I got FSX I decided to keep it clean. I have FSUIPC unregistered AS2012 and aircraft. All sliders to the right and I could not ask for a better running rig.

Thanks,

Ron

Yep same here.

My NGX runs as smooth as silk, having said that i get great perf in the 747X too but slightly less than the NGX. LDS767 is where i get some issues but its to be expected i guess

Chris Howard

Nearly everything in FSX is based on the CPU. The CPU is what makes all the draw calls to the video card in the first place and they work in tandem. I normally only see 30-60% GPU load in FSX. There's nothing at all we can do about this, FSX is what's called a "CPU limited" application in terms of its performance - the CPU is always the bottleneck, not the GPU.

I can't say for certain until we have near-final code running that doesn't have all the debugging development stuff in it, but we do not anticipate the 777 performing worse than the NGX. Keep in mind too this is on average - we aren't going to sit here and claim that on Joe Simmer's specific system it will perform this way or that way. Alex, I get better performance in the NGX than I do in the 400X for instance and I feel like this is the norm for a lot of people.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I would think they , PMDG, learns from every previous release and puts that knowledge to use. It my opinion if you dont have the computer to be running high level detailed addons, well, you don't. Its unfortunate for some but that's life I reckon.

I think on release day, the avsim forums are going to be crowded with complaints about bugs/fps/stutters and OOM issues. There is no way this 777 is going to get along with Large payware airports/Orbx/weather addons and other products.

well, I guess they are not going to advertise that it's bad on fps :lol: it's all about $$$$. No dev is honest before release, look at what happened with the new Aliens game released a couple of weeks ago. Thousands of people complaining for a refund.

I have yet to expirience any bugs, OOM with the NGX, and I use OPUS, Orbx, FS2Crew, ProATCX, GSX, Accufeel etc etc running all at once and the stutters isn't that bad either. And Isn't PMDG famous for releasing products without bugs?

Sounds to me that your just trying to bash PMDG products and maybe a little jealous that you can't run the NGX on X-plane yet.... :huh:

And about NGX vs 747X performance, on my system the NGX performs better. So I'm not worried at all for the 777, I'm pretty confident that PMDG is gonna deliver on this one too with very few bugs as usual B)

And sorry for not having a signature :rolleyes:

yea i get better performance using the ngx as well than the 747 so hopefuly the t7 is going to be the same as the ngx

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have yet to expirience any bugs, OOM with the NGX, and I use OPUS, Orbx, FS2Crew, ProATCX, GSX, Accufeel etc etc running all at once and the stutters isn't that bad either. And Isn't PMDG famous for releasing products without bugs?

Sounds to me that your just trying to bash PMDG products and maybe a little jealous that you can't run the NGX on X-plane yet....

And about NGX vs 747X performance, on my system the NGX performs better. So I'm not worried at all for the 777, I'm pretty confident that PMDG is gonna deliver on this one too with very few bugs as usual

And sorry for not having a signature

Sounds like your jealous that xplane 10 uses all the pc's hardware :lol: I own every sim and love them all. PMDG is developing a secret Xplane10 project :p0816: :t0106:

Sounds like your jealous that xplane 10 uses all the pc's hardware I own every sim and love them all. PMDG is developing a secret Xplane10 project

Touche! that backfired a little :lol:

If I whas I would have used it, but sure I would be very happy if FSX did use my hardware better :rolleyes: Not meaning to be rude or out to pick a fight, but I just found your post to be unfair, alot of people run the PMDG products along with other complex addons without any issues like me. Just tune FSX sliders, tweak and there are no huge problems.

Maybe someday I'll switch to X-Plane when it's more mature and 3partys really starting to move to X-plane the but right now FSX offers me alot more than X-plane do. B)