Sign in to follow this  
VaclavLoubek

FSX hibernates computer - please help to find a solution

Dear gentlemen (and ladies),

I have experienced strange problem with my computer when running FSX.

First of all, this only happens when running FSX (and ASE, Radar Contact, FSACARS). With any other game or software it doesn`t happen.

When airborne after some time the computer goes to hibernation. Usually it happens after 1.5 - 4 hours. When woke up, I`m still able to run FSX and other programs, but the fps in FSX go to single digits.

Can someone point me somewhere? I`ve tried cleaning the computer with Ccleaner, Ad-aware (nothing significant found) and defrag the disc.

Any suggestions where could be the problem?

Thank you.

Woah, never heard this one before.

Try this. (Assuming you're on Win7)

Go to the Start menu -> Type "Sleep" in the search bar -> Click on "Change when the computer sleeps".

Under "Put the computer to sleep", select "Never".

I Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

This happened to me, and it also made fsx unable to run during a "remote" desktop session (i.e hibernation). I fixed it by leaving fsx the window that is open before I leave it, so that when it goes into hibernation fsx is the window in use. That seemed to help alot and now instead of going down to 1fps it stays at around 5 or 6 then it goes back up. (Granted I only get an average of 9fps anyway so..)

Remy Mermelstein

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

remymerm: I`m not sure whether I understand, bud I don`t leave FSX when this error occurs - I have it active in fullscreen mode...

Check your power options or power saving modes. Also you may want to look at your bios power saving settings also.

Take it out of Full Screen Mode. You will be able to have a higher resolution and will be able to use other things while flying. Whenever you leave your computer keep FSX the window that is active, i.e. the window you see on the computer. This has always worked for me. Before I started doing this I had the same problem as you.

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

remymerm: Thanks for the tip, will give it try.

But anyway, it had been working for more than a year before started acting so weird, so I would like to find a cause of this problem.

Try turning Hibernation off, see below:-

Click START then type cmd in the start search box.

In the search box result list, right click Command Prompt and select Run

as Administrator.

when/if you are prompted by User Account Control, click continue.

At the Command Prompt type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and then

press ENTER.

Close Command Prompt window, job done.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Something changed your Power Options from High Performance back to Balanced Plan, or Power Saver.

Dave

Sounds daft but I've seen a corrupt shader make it appear like sleep, have you applied any shader mods? Or perhaps a problem in scenery may cause it when comes into range.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Becuase it's random I'm wandering if this could be a thermal issue causing your computer to shut down rather than a hibernation power setting. I assume when you say "with any other game or software it doesn't happen" you're not regularly running your computer for up to 4 hours with your CPU and graphics at or near maximum speeds.

It would be worthwhile just opening up your case to see if your coolers (CPU and graphics) are clean and free from dust and dirt, any buildup will stop them from working properly which could lead to overheating, which if it gets to high enough levels could cause your computer to sut itself down i order to protect itself. I regularly use a medium sized artists paintbrush just to pick off all the dust and clean around the components to make sure everything is being kept as cool as possible.

You could also try running temperature monitoring software to see what your CPU temperatures are doing, speedfan will put a readout in your system tray and I'm pretty sure you can configure it so it continually logs what your temperatures are doing to a file - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

/Edit: A thermal issue would also explain why when you reboot your system it is slow as the CPU will still be very hot and will be throttling itself back due to being overheated.