Sign in to follow this  
G-BANX

FSX, will great FPS ever be achievable consistently?

I have a similar system and recently made the switch to DX10. The results are a smooth and stutter free simming experience.

There is a dedicated forum here on Avsim to help get you started.

cheers

Greg

. Really, the only way most people can see more than about 15 fps is with a counter. if you are getting 15 fps in heavy scenery with full AI and weather you don't have a problem !!!

absolutely untrue. the real limit is closer to vsync. (there's a reason why monitors refresh at 60-85Hz and not 15Hz). however, if you are happy with 15fps, that's lucky for you, it's a lot cheaper! :)

cheers,

andy crosby

Over the last 12 months I have spent time effort and money upgrading my aircraft, scenery and equipment to enhance my flight simulator experience. I'm still not receiving good fps all the time and really it's frustrating. I'm hoping if I post my info then people will be able to offer advice and info on how I can improve my fps if its possible. Here's the specs:

HARDWARE

i5 3.3 overclocked to 4.4

Twin frozr GeForce 570 2gb

8gb ram

1tb SATA drive with a seperate partition for FSX

FSX

fsx delux and acceleration

******* 'Bojote' Altuve CFG tweaking tool

Uiautomation.dll

Bufferpools tweak set to 40000000

Fsx fps set to unlimited and 3rd party fps limiter in place (40fps)

Run from batch file a friend set up for me

Running ORBX England

Running UK2000 scenery across all areas + bristol xtreme and Manchester xtreme

Running Rex weather

Running ultimate traffic 2

Using PMDG 737ngx

That's my full set up. My fps is great in all UK2K airports except the Xtreme or any London area when flying pmdg when they drop to 10/15fps. Also at airports such as Amsterdam schiphol where I'm running 0 scenery add-ons the frames drop right down. If anyone can suggest helping me improve to just a steady 25+ at the airports would be great. I would love to enhance my experience without the extra cash but maybe it just isn't achievable and ill have to buy a new system?

Here are your problems:

1. i5 processor, not as powerful as an i7. Look into a better chip, the best your motherboard supports, or upgrade to a newer processor

2. SLI does nothing, some say it makes FSX run worse. Buy a 680 4gb

3. buy an ssd and put windows and fsx on it, use the 1tb for downloads and all other programs

4. Run frames locked at 30 in game, no external limiter. run Bufferpools=0, tweak according to the Word Not Allowed guide. 30 fps locked and 1/2 refresh rate

5. Orbx is going to give you bad performance, turn down autogen to normal and scenery complexity to dense, max.

6. Ultimate Traffic is going to bog down your computer, until you upgrade as I suggested, you cant run more than 10-20% AI

I am happy actually. It is 2013 and we FINALLY can see a computer build that brings FSX to its knees.

By the end of the year this will be my setup:

i7 3930k overclocked to 4.4-4.8

Watercooled by H100i or similar

8+ gb ram

large ssd

Nvidia GTX Titan

And there you have it. No addon scenery and airplane can bring this build to its knees. Yes it costs money but if you are like me and don't have many other hobbies besides FSX, it's worth it! Besides I can spend 200 with a friend flying from a local airport and that's only half a day of enjoyment.

I have a similar system and recently made the switch to DX10. The results are a smooth and stutter free simming experience.

There is a dedicated forum here on Avsim to help get you started.

cheers

Greg

Sadly almost every quality payware airport does not support DX10. I wish they did though.

And there you have it. No addon scenery and airplane can bring this build to its knees.

Where have I heard that before... B)

Bert

Don't say that or you'll jinx your setup! Not long ago I too, innocently posted on forums like you on a thread like this saying my non-OC laptop runs rock stable smooth FSX and I wonder why people have problem getting FPS with their uber overclocked 5 Ghz rigs. And whoa next day - FSX stopped even starting. I am now too tired to reinstall it and all the addons so I just read the avsim forums as a substitute. I realise now all those months of smooth high FPS FSX were a miracle - a mere chance.

I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong? I have always had a constant 30 FPS with my current build. With every addon imaginable. well. it may drop to 28 FPS. Including about all PMDG, ORBX eyt products. Im not bragging, It really is strange when I read these post?

G-Banx you're not doing anything wrong. Think of FSX as a finicky mistress. Sometimes she is great and makes you happy and sometimes she makes you miserable for no fault of your own. Only the Lord knows why.

LOL I think what I'm getting at is, am I doing anything wrong?

absolutely untrue. the real limit is closer to vsync. (there's a reason why monitors refresh at 60-85Hz and not 15Hz). however, if you are happy with 15fps, that's lucky for you, it's a lot cheaper! :)

cheers,

andy crosby

Ok try this, play your favorite movie on your computer and check the movies' frame rate, it will normally be between 15 - 25 fps. FPS and HZ are apples and oranges, The point I was trying to make is this, It doesn't matter what your frame rates are as long as what you see is fluid and stutter free, a lot of people would save themselves a lot of time, headache, and money if they would just watch the screen and turn the FPS counter off.

Some reallynreallygreat replies! Thanks all for your input!!

Ok people turn off the frame counter and watch the screen, if it is fluid with no stutters you have no problem. Really, the only way most people can see more than about 15 fps is with a counter. if you are getting 15 fps in heavy scenery with full AI and weather you don't have a problem !!!

++10 What's with this fixation on fps? Remember; "If it's runnin smooth, your in the groove"...;-)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

When Lockheed Martin completely redevelops P3D i,e true 64bit, improved autogen, night lights improvements, proper weather engine that can imitate real life METARs with accuracy and no delays in order to simulate weather as it happens in real life, take advantage of GPU, real life physics, default scenery improvement such as landscape, able to run on all available cores, GPUs & rams (spreading out work load equally) and last but not least... give us some amazing fps 60+ (we're talking 4.3ghz 2500k or better)!

I'm not aware that's the direction in which Lockheed Martin's taking P3D, given the stated purpose of P3D is professional training. I understand Lockheed Martin has said that Version 2.0 will use DX11 but not that it will be 64-bit. Also, I recall reading somewhere that weapons systems may be added to P3D but, for obvious reasons, that feature will not be generally available.

Ok try this, play your favorite movie on your computer and check the movies' frame rate, it will normally be between 15 - 25 fps.

the "24 fps is good enough because that is what film uses" myth has been debunked a million times on this forum and many others. if fsx or other video simulations in general could simulate the motion blur from film exposure (which is similar to how the eye works) that would be possibly true, but they can't, so it's not.

FPS and HZ are apples and oranges,

actually, that is not true either, and i think probably this fundamental misconception is a large part of what we are talking about. they are both measures of frequency, in fact, measures of frames per second.

The point I was trying to make is this, It doesn't matter what your frame rates are as long as what you see is fluid and stutter free, a lot of people would save themselves a lot of time, headache, and money if they would just watch the screen and turn the FPS counter off.

in this regard, we agree. like i said if you are happy that's awesome,

but the idea that most people can't tell the difference between 15fps and 60fps is absurd and also in complete disagreement with many scientific studies and also anecdotal evidence from pretty much anybody who has played video games ever in the last twenty years lol.

the only reason most of us deal with such low frames in FSX is because there isn't an alternative. with a 12Ghz processor nobody would complain, but those probably won't exist for a while, so eventually an engine that uses modern video hardware and parallelism may take the crown.. we'll see what p3d brings to the table, and x-plane still shows promise as well.

anyway cheers dude

-andy crosby

ps for an easy comparision this site has good examples of 15/30/60 fps differences http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

FSX, will great FPS ever be achievable consistently?

Well yes, I'm seeing exactly that every time I fly.

However, I don't have payware airports and sliders to the extreme. Anyone that does, will see frame rate low.

I do run with GEX, UTX and REX. So the sim looks great according to my subjective opinion.

It really doesn't matter what computer you have or spec's fps will always be a problem in fsx. Just look at my computer spec's for example an i had fps drop to 15 when not being careful an running add on . I had to delete my cfg file an start fresh an new fallowing KOST'S guide an NICK also . I don't own an Nvidia Card so that will be my next upgrade . Some simmers tell me that my card is find even dow is not Nvidia but i still want to know what Nvidia can do different from the card i have now . So my suggestion to the OP is to save the actual fsx cfg that you have now , then delete it from your "C:/user/computer name/App/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX" , then restart fsx it will create a new fresh one . Try to fallow up on Nick's or Word Not Allowed's guide. Also take each step at a time for example after you do at lease 3 to 4 changes in your Fsx cfg try running fsx an see any different. Also i might add try to run fsx with out any tweaks at all fly around for a bit on heavy scenery write down on a notepad or something the current FPS you have when flying around those area with out any tweaks applied . Then you can start fallowing up on the guides an make changes in you fsx cfg an make at lease 3 to 5 changes an run fsx an try to compare the difference in performance , graphic, fps on heave scenery to when you started fsx with a fresh fsx cfg . That is what i did to get my fsx running stable no stutter or lost in FPS . Try it let me know if help you out . I will be more than happy to keep helping you .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I don't notice a big difference between 30 and 60- I do detect a little difference at 15, although that wouldn't bother me unless I saw the 2 side4 by side like in this example. What I do notice is the graphics is not in sync, which indicates one is being sped up faster then it should, or slowed, can't tell which one! This means this is not a real time example. No matter what the FPS the timing should be consistent to be real time.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

What I do notice is the graphics is not in sync,

What am I missing? the moons appear to me to stay in sync against a stationary milky way at 5 and 60 fps with both running at the same speed of 100 pix/sec.