•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo

Pushback function

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tamba765

tamba765

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

I've been trying to change the pushback distance settings, but have been unable to do so. Does anyone know how to do it?
Thanks.
Pete Locascio

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 FDX777

FDX777

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,257 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

The best would be to use GSX
382725hvti09.jpg

#3 Lek767

Lek767

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 7 Months and 21 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Um... The best would be to enter the desired pushback distance in the 1L LSK on the pushback CDU page, in my humble opinion. It doesn't cost a thing to do so, after all, and works just fine in not-too-elaborate pushback scenarios.
Posted Image

#4 SKeller

SKeller

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 6 Months and 15 Days Ago.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

The only 'distance' setting you can change is the 'straight line' distance.
You can also change the turn direction and the angle.
The total distance will be calculated based on these values.

Stefan Keller
Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png
Banner_FS2Crew_Bus6.png

#5 pete_auau

pete_auau

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 2 Months and 4 Days Ago.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

The best would be to use GSX

yea even though of the cost, at least the push back is accurate and it follows the markings on the ground and you dont have to calculate anything
Posted ImagePeter kelberg

#6 por930

por930

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

yea even though of the cost, at least the push back is accurate and it follows the markings on the ground and you dont have to calculate anything

Hi Peter, Agree GSX is a great program. I love the Marshaller ..I always seem to get the comment at the end...."that wasn't very good parking" when GSX evaluates your parking^^^^. As for fully automatic. Yes if only one choice of turn, but if two choices, left or right, then you have to declare this, otherwise, they then follow the lines back out.
Manual extract....
"Before departure, you can ask for Pushback, and a tow truck will push you out from
your parking spot. The Pushback feature in GSX is way more powerful and realistic
that the default FSX Pushback, because it recognizes the airport layout, and will
push following the taxi lines automatically, you will only have to choose the Pushback
direction (usually Left or Right) if the parking spot used has been programmed
to allow Both choices, otherwise it will just use the only direction available".

Regards

Geoff Bryce

#7 tamba765

tamba765

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I've already tried changing the distance and have used a 90 degree turn. The aircraft turns but winds up in the grass.The default distance value won't take any other entries.
Pete Locascio

#8 por930

por930

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I've already tried changing the distance and have used a 90 degree turn. The aircraft turns but winds up in the grass.The default distance value won't take any other entries.

Hi Pete, Did you check out the introduction manual which talks about the settings for the push back module, which is a simple patch over the FSX version but looks prettier.

INTRODUCTION
PMDG 737NGX
Pushback:

Ummmm, I just had a play with it. I see your issue. It seems to have a minimum default of 39 Metres or 127 feet.You can only add to it,not make it shorter. Unless some other wiser person can answer, maybe a ticket to PMDG Support asking why.
Regards

Geoff Bryce

#9 g_precentralis

g_precentralis

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,328 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 9 Days Ago.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

That pushback function was unusable for me from the day one. I have tested it for days and have never achieved to pushback my NGX to centerline.
rs.png Lj. Prodanovic

#10 hopskip

hopskip

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,065 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 18 Days Ago.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

In the Image of the FMS/CDU above you have a pushback length of 0ft, and a turn left of 23 degrees.

This means the pushback (invisible) truck will push you back a distance of none before it starts turning the aircraft to the left.

It will take 127 feet to push the aircraft so that it is facing 23 degrees further left than it is now. It can't handbreak-turn a 737.

In practice, FSX can't seem to initiate a turn straight away, and will always push about 1 fuselage length before the turning starts. This seems to be the case with the PMDG pushback system too (which I think is an interface to the default FSX pushback truck or at least seems to be bound by the same limitations).

GSX isn't bound by the same rules, but instead follows the airport scenery's afcad (ie the yellow taxiway centrelines) Which is brilliant for default or well-made addon airports, but some of my less brilliant addon sceneries with poorly made afcads suffer from a wierd effect where the pushback tries to go the wrong way, then forwards again before making a wild turn back the way it should have gone. Oddly some of those airfields are Orbx made Large international airports in Australia... admttedly with some rather tight turning circles and turn angles of more than 90°. YBBN Domestic terminal gates 39,40&41! I choose you! YMML gate E1, E2 and E4 too!

On the other hand, Scansim EKCH (and even the default tbh) is very smooth indeed, and the GSX pushback path for gate A4 is very nice indeed, pushing straight back then turning (tail) right then (tail) left, following the yellow centreline of taxiway Lima then turning (tail) left to put you at the intersection of Lima and Juliet facing the Pier A extension so you can taxi out with a left turn onto Lima and then off via Kilo or Yankee or Zulu depending where ATC wants you to go (keeping in mind that taxiway Juliet is now directly behind you).

qfafin.jpg
Trent Hopkinson, 2013 Crewmember of www.mangrove.com.au WorldFlight sim

Youtube channel www.youtube.com/user/musicalaviator

#11 E6BAV8R

E6BAV8R

• Members
  • 635 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 3 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

I hate to pop this back up to the top but the pushback system of the NGX remains very buggy - primarily the distance.  You can put in 0 meter straight line and it still pushes you 10 gates down the taxiway before stopping.

Has PMDG addressed this yet?  Certainly they know it is a problem...

Greg Evans

#12 mounty

mounty

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 5 Months and 11 Days Ago.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

There is one other options which seems to work fine - AES.  It's payware but is realistic on pushback and turning.

Rob

#13 TailDraggerPilot

TailDraggerPilot

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 19 Days Ago.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

I would get GSX. A lot better since you buy only one time and works for all airports.

Ian Besemer
Private Pilot, working on IFR rating, flys Citabria 7ECA and 7CKAB, Cessna 172M/P/SP "Real pilots fly tail draggers"
My repaints: http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

#14 Airbusman330

Airbusman330

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 28 Days Ago.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

I would get GSX. A lot better since you buy only one time and works for all airports.

This and pushback is completely automated once it starts so you can concentrate on engine start among other things. 

Alex Jevdic KORD/KHOT/KPWK

A<380 love at first flight

#15 TailDraggerPilot

TailDraggerPilot

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 19 Days Ago.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

This and pushback is completely automated once it starts so you can concentrate on engine start among other things.

That's true. I love my GSX just for this function.

Ian Besemer
Private Pilot, working on IFR rating, flys Citabria 7ECA and 7CKAB, Cessna 172M/P/SP "Real pilots fly tail draggers"
My repaints: http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!