Sign in to follow this  
LEAH757

Real World Weather site down? Not updating?

This is my first post here, though I have been very deep into FS9 for many years, and usually get help with any issue just by scanning the forums, without need for posting myself, but I haven't seen anything here today about this, soooooo, here goes. I have FS9 on two completely separate XP machines (one in my home office, one on a "purpose-built machine for just FS), and since about two days ago, the real-world weather has been "stuck in time". I've followed all the usual recommendations...I have emptied the temp-internet folders, cleared the internet cache of files and cookies, looked to see if I can access the weather website (fs2k.zone, I can), switched on and off real world weather, even deleted all my old flights and weather from the FS folder. Nothing helps, the weather is still giving me an old weather pattern. I load airports all over the US, and it's still blizzarding in KORD (the real weather has passed to the east), cloudy at KPDX, raining at KSDF, sunny in KBOS (it's really snowing heavily in New England now)....they've all stayed the same for several days, and on both machines, so I know it's not computer-specific issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? If not, suggestions?

I'm not sure, but the FS9 real world weather is more than often quite inaccurate. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you just abandoned it for a payware alternative like ActiveSky Evolution. I was using the default weather service for my flights also, but I finally invested into ASE and never looked back. The weather is spot on and is constantly being updated and generated in the sim. It's round about $40, so it is a bit steep, but the payoff you get in return is well worth it. In case you're interested: http://secure.simmarket.com/hifi-sim-activesky-evolution.phtml

In spite of its inaccuracies, I have been pretty satisfied with the "stock" real world weather, and though I know it does not update as frequently as ActiveSky, it has been surving me well for many years. The problem is recent....just this week. I usually take a good look at national radar every morning, and the weather that I have been getting in FS for the last few days (even up to today) is the pattern that was in place over the country 3 days ago. Crappy/snow over the upper midwest, rain a bit south and over the Oregon coast, and severe clear over the East coast, etc, which is not what it is today. So my issue is not with the FS Real-world weather engine, but that, all of a sudden, it has stopped updating (on both my separate computers), and I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this (which would lead me to look into my modem or router, or even ISP, which is Charter), or it the MSFS server has hung up....and gotten stuck in time.

If not, suggestions?

I have also been using ActiveSky for years, dumped MS Real(?) World Weather and never ever regretted it.

Try starting a default flight to somewhere tropical with the default fair weather theme loaded. From that location tap the 'Alt' key and in the drop down find weather and connect to MS real weather. If everything looks good , 'goto' your favorite airport or where you know the current weather. If that doesn't clear the "old" weather then I would say it is the fs2k.zone weather server.

Here are a couple of links to check:

http://fs2k.zone.com/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=836186

I always had problems with the real(?) weather system built into FS2k and FS9 that is why I got ActiveSky.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Regards,

Mel

Hi mebull...thanks for the ideas... I have tried both of those websites over the past two days, and I can connect to them just fine. I did work through that knowledge-base article. I also have deleted ALL my saved flights, started a new one in a sunny locale, and then did the "go-to airport" routine, bouncing to all different sections of the country where I KNOW they are having poor weather, with the same results. I'm still at a loss. :(

I also dumped FS9 real world WX, but for a freeware alternative: FSRealWX lite. Also never looked back.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Yes, have the same problem. MS' weather at my home port EDDC is three days late today. Will try Luis Miguels suggestion.

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

It seems that the Real Weather is still not updated; I still have the clear skies of Wednesday here at EDDC. Although I tested FSRealWX lite and it's a fine alternative (excepting that I experience some occassional flickering of the 2D satellite panels in my DF B727 when FSRealWX lite is active), it would be interesting what is the problem with Microsofts wheather server...?

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

It's three weeks now that the MS weather server is not updated. FS2004 gets a connection, loads the data but it's still the weather of the very beginning of March. Does really nobody know what's the matter with MS' weather? Meanwhile, I use another application, but it would just be interesting to me.

Thanks and regards

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Also I have the EXACT same problem. The weather is downloading, no errors, but the sky is clear whatever you go, at any airport. I have FS2004 and an aged computer, so I can not afford to instal software who drain cpu from allready nonexisting speed. I want the default weather back.

Sounds like a Microsoft issue. Unfortunately, there will be a day when Microsoft turns the switch off for good. This might be the time. FSmetar mentioned above is a great alternative.

Sounds like a Microsoft issue. Unfortunately, there will be a day when Microsoft turns the switch off for good. This might be the time. FSmetar mentioned above is a great alternative.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

there will be a day when Microsoft turns the switch off for good. This might be the time.

... celebrating 10th anniversary of FS2004, they could have waited until after July 29th... :(

As alternative, see post #6. Works really fine.

Cheers!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

My FS Real Weather has been static for a couple of weeks minimum. The following quote may shed some light on the situation (dated March 2009):

Hey Guys,

We have made arrangements for the FSX Weather Server to remain up for the foreseeable future (which probably means at least several more years - hopefully, someone will have released something new by then :-) ).

Tim

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?14086-Sim-Charts-Closing&p=149544&viewfull=1#post149544

Sadly, MS Flight was a failure, and there is no replacement on the horizon. I think we've been very fortunate to have had Real Weather since late 1999 :-O

What does SimCharts have to do with the FS weather?