Sign in to follow this  
L0stS0ul

FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking (GPS Like) for Flight Simulator X

I've submitted the app to the Google Play store and I'm waiting for notification that it has been released. I've not yet released the trial version. I'm preparing that now and it should be available in the next day or 2. The server software has been released and information about it is available on my blog. 

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightconnect/

Info and new screenshots of the released version are available here:

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightmap/

I'll be releasing the software this weekend. The Release Candidate testing has all gone well and I'm frantically trying to get the website and support materials completed. Life has gotten in the way of progress the last 2 days but I'll be working on it tonight and hopefully have everything released soon. 

sweet..!!

edit..

NOOOOOO......!!!

this item cannot be installed in your device country.. oh well.. I was so waiting for this

This is a really nice little app... looks great, easy to use, and does exactly what you need in an FSX moving map.

It will also show the magenta line to the next GPS waypoint which is a really good feature. 

For RXP users, make sure you have LinkGPS=on set in the rxpgns.ini file for the airplane. :rolleyes:

If you have a 10" android tablet (mine is a Samsung Tab2), five bucks is a bargain IMHO..

Bert

sweet..!!

edit..

NOOOOOO......!!!

this item cannot be installed in your device country.. oh well.. I was so waiting for this

What country are you in? I thought it would be available everywhere that google play store accepts purchasing apps. I'll check it right away. 

Thanks for that info on RXP Bert. I didn't even know that would work. Awesome it does :)

I may have misunderstood how the google console works for country distribution for paid apps. It looked like only a small subset allowed currency exchange and those were the only ones I could select. It looks like that is not the case so I've selected all countries now. Hopefully anyone that had a message about location can get access now. 

I've made the change and they say it could take a few hours for users to see the change. 

sorry bout that. I'm still learning how all this stuff works :)

I just published the free 5 minute trial of FlightMap to the Play Store. It's already showing up in the US store so it should be soon for other locations. The direct link to it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightmap.trial

The trial is fully functional and is tied to the server updates. Once everything is working it will get 5 minutes of server updates before the trial expires. You can re-open the trial as many times as you want.

I'm working really hard to get the first update out to my beta testers. Hopefully I'll have that done Wed or Thurs this week. The first update includes the following changes:

1. Updated graphics for the Airspeed Indicators. Also modified the GA indicator to be in 20 knot increments instead of 25 based off feedback from my testers. 
  2. Added a track options when in NAV or GPS mode. This allows you to toggle between the current heading up display and a north up display. 
  3. Improvements to the adhoc waypoint system. Now when you get within 1 nautical mile of an adhoc waypoint flightmap will automatically advance to the next waypoint like the GPS mode does. 
  4. non-active waypoints will have a gray line in adhoc mode and active waypoint will be blue as it is now.
  5. Adding waypoint information for GPS and NAV display. The GPS mode will have more information than the NAV mode does. NAV will show distance to next waypoint. GPS mode will show magnetic bearing to waypoint, distance to waypoint, altitude of waypoint, and ETE for next waypoint. 

This is a pretty significant update and I can't wait to get it into my testers hands. If all goes well this update will be released next week for those that have purchased.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing new features from the upcoming version 1.6. 

screenshot_2013-04-23-00-32-18.png?w=720

This first screen shows the new “TRK” mode. When this is enabled the map will be oriented north while the plane will be pointing in the direction of flight. The map is always oriented GPS NORTH or bearing 0. I had to take into account magnetic variation for the compass rose to read correctly and the plane to point in the correct direction. I That is why the compass is not reading 0. 

screenshot_2013-04-23-00-32-26.png?w=720

You may also notice on the screen the distance to the waypoint is displayed. This is the NAV mode so I only have distance to display right now but all of the rest will be displayed when in GPS mode.

I’m also showing the new GA airspeed indicator B)  I think it looks pretty nice. 

Any chance of a version for phones instead of tablets? Like, a Verizon S3?

I'd love to get it on my.phone. It would definitely be useful on long haul flights. I'd love getting up in the air, out over the water and being able to leave for a few hours to go run errands. All while being able to check flight status and know when to be home

I do have plans to do a phone version. It obviously won't have all of these features as the amount of space is very limited. I'm in the process of designing it to best fit the form factor. 

I do have plans to do a phone version. It obviously won't have all of these features as the amount of space is very limited. I'm in the process of designing it to best fit the form factor.

How exactly does this work? Do you have to share a Wi-Fi connection out can you pull it up on your phone anywhere?

FlightMap/FlightConnect only work on wifi connections at this time.

There are 2 parts to the application.

FlightConnect, which is a free piece of software that you install on the same computer as Flight Simulator X, handles pulling all of the parameters from FSX and passing them to clients.

FlightMap is the client application that you get for your android tablet.

I do not currently allow 3g or 4g connections due to the complexity involved with getting it to work properly. It would be a support nightmare. I want to make it as easy as possible for people to use so forcing both parts of the solution to be on the same wifi network is the safest way to do that.