Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

AMD FX8350 8 core processor- My FSX Review & Performance

This thread is only to share with avsim my experiences with the FX8350 as an FSX CPU. It is not meant to compare with other processors or to debate on which is better. It is only to meant to provide insight to someone who may be interested in using this processor in their FSX build. This is only my experience, your mileage may vary.

I assembled this build primarily for use in FSX and a few other PC games. Its fairly budget oriented with no real high end components. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 OC @ 4.8ghz

Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme 

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD7850 2gb

Ram: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600

SSD:120gb HDD: 1TB

CPU Fan: Hyper 212 air cooling

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64Bit (Modified to use the explorer of windows 7) Click here for tut.

I've tweaked my CFG exactly like Word Not Allowed's guide. This has granted me 25-30fps in the VC and payware airports.

This shot shows the task manager at idle next to a load with FSX running. My affinity mask is set to 254, which instructs FSX to use the last 7 cores. Core #0 is reserved for windows use. FSX loads core #1 to 90-100% usage the entire time while the rest of the cores fluctuate usage throughout the duration of the flight. Upon exiting FSX, cores 1-7 go back to 0%.
idletofsx.png
Though I'm overclocked @ 4.8ghz in the bios, in windows 8 it does not display correctly. 

These following shots were taken to show what frames I'm getting at my display settings. The location is FSDT KLAX in the PMDG NGX.
vc.png

fxs.png

2fx8350.png

3fx8350.png

I do not normally use ai traffic, this is just to show what impact ai traffic has on my FPS.

maxai.jpg

This short video is an unrealistic scenario, but it shows processor can handle both games simultaneously with almost no fps impact on either. 

http://youtu.be/ZccOKgjRArQ

With the right system setup and some fsx cfg tweaks, I've been able to squeeze some very good performance from this CPU. Its more than worth the $180 you can currently purchase it online for.

Hope some of you might find this helpful. And for others, please keep comparisons to other products and companies out of this thread.  

• Upvote 4

That's very nice and thank you but ,whats the point? I mean, I don't get it.  what are you proving or disproving. What I find interesting is getting an AMD CPU to that high of clock speeds and how to manage stability.

I too would like to know how you got that CPU to that speed and keep it stable. In my old system, I have a Phenom II X6 1055T processor (2.8GHz stock), watercooled, and I can't overclock it beyond 3.5GHz without the system pitching a hissy fit. Yes, my RAM is fast enough to handle overclocked reference clock speeds, actually it's rated for speeds that should allow my CPU to hit 4.2GHz. But no - bluescreens after Windows boots. So what's your secret?

Yes please can you share your secret?? and If you can share your fsx.cfg file?

Regards,

Walter Almaraz

Walter Almaraz

4.jpg

That's very nice and thank you but ,whats the point? I mean, I don't get it.  what are you proving or disproving. What I find interesting is getting an AMD CPU to that high of clock speeds and how to manage stability.

I stated in the OP that this is meant to be helpful information to someone possibly interested in getting one. Since you already have a good CPU, I could see how this doesn't mean much to you.

I too would like to know how you got that CPU to that speed and keep it stable. In my old system, I have a Phenom II X6 1055T processor (2.8GHz stock), watercooled, and I can't overclock it beyond 3.5GHz without the system pitching a hissy fit. Yes, my RAM is fast enough to handle overclocked reference clock speeds, actually it's rated for speeds that should allow my CPU to hit 4.2GHz. But no - bluescreens after Windows boots. So what's your secret?

This processor came out last fall and is relatively new. Newer processors can reach much higher clocks than older ones. The 8350 is an excellent overclocker too, just google it. 

• Upvote 1

This processor came out last fall and is relatively new. Newer processors can reach much higher clocks than older ones. The 8350 is an excellent overclocker too, just google it. 

Unfortunately I already built a new system, but it has a processor that competes with the AMD 8350, so I won't discuss it and its overclockability here (it's an i7 3930K, unlocked multiplier and all) since that isn't the scope of your original post. :)

Edit: Also regarding your post about newer processors reaching higher speeds - I've seen evidence of people reaching 4.6GHz on a 1055T on air alone, so I'll ask again: what's the secret of keeping it stable?

Unfortunately I already built a new system, but it has a processor that competes with the AMD 8350, so I won't discuss it and its overclockability here (it's an i7 3930K, unlocked multiplier and all) since that isn't the scope of your original post. :)

Edit: Also regarding your post about newer processors reaching higher speeds - I've seen evidence of people reaching 4.6GHz on a 1055T on air alone, so I'll ask again: what's the secret of keeping it stable?

Seeing the 1055T is from 2010 and the 8350 just released a few months ago. No secrets here, I set it and forget it.

• Upvote 1

The new FX 8 core CPU's are beasts for running multithreaded applications, its the single threaded where they lack. Also uing a mix of AVSIM's tweking guide and KOSTAS tweaks (almost identical) will result in very good frames across many systems. I have built 3 FSX gaming rigs for others all of them have the FX8300 series, and every person has been satisfied. As far as stabilty its not just about cooling properly but also about the motherboard & BIOS and the power supply.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Why is it whenever somebody mentions AMD and good in the same sentence Avsim members get all kinds of rustled? 

Answer: Fanboysim

• Upvote 6

I have an AMD 1100T, let the Asus M4A89GTD motherboard automatically do the initial  overclock and got 3.9ghz right off the bat. Increased this to 4ghz without any issues. 3.7ghz on an 1055t as should be no problem at all! As already mentioned, depends on a decent motherboard with good voltage management etc…   However, I found increasing the Northbridge & HT Link rendered better results than pushing the CUP speed to absolute limits!  If you increase the HT link (default 2000mhz) to at least 3x the speed memory clock speed (3x800 for 1600memory) overall, things will be a lot snappier!  

I opted out getting the FX8350 due to so much of 'Bulldozer's' bad publicity (though I don't believe a lot of it) and would need to upgrade my mainboard too...an expense I'd rather not risk at this time...I'm quite satisfied with the performance of my current old defunct CPU!

Increasing the Northbridge & HT Link...

Cheers...DaveKay.

Why is it whenever somebody mentions AMD and good in the same sentence Avsim members get all kinds of rustled? 

Answer: Fanboysim

• Upvote 2

Center, "Southwest" 1253...Starting to pick up some fairly continuous light chop, any ride reports up ahead?

Ryan Schmidt

Man I gotta ask how much voltage you running I'm at X20 which is giving me 4.5 ghz but prime says cores 5-8 are shutting down

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I stated in the OP that this is meant to be helpful information to someone possibly interested in getting one. Since you already have a good CPU, I could see how this doesn't mean much to you.

Im always looking for "Better" and cheaper. Could give a hoot if AMD, Intel or  Hershey s Chocolate made it. I have no brand loyalty to any of the capitalist. Competition is good!

• Upvote 3