Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Open Message to AVSIM Community

As you have surely noticed, we have had our issues over the last week or so. Here is the situation in a thimble.. We updated to the latest IPB software last week and it has been a problem ever since. Frankly, the upgrade was not ready for prime time and it still isn't. We are not happy with the response from IPB, and their lack of authoritative help in fixing things has been pretty dismal. Never the less, we are where we are, and hope that we will get the assistance we need next week. In the meantime, we have disabled some things (actually most things), and you will notice those.

We have disabled GUEST access to the forums and functions. In a hobbled system, we need to give importance and system resources to our registered members. When we see 275 registered members online and over 550 "guests" online at the same time consuming resources, that is not right given our current situation. So, for the time being, we have required that guests register before they get the benefit of AVSIM's resources. That requirement may go away, or it may not. Our focus and priority is with our registered users.

Secondly, you are going to see a lot of missing functionality, including our previous menu system. We will bring functionality back as we can and will test each in terms of system load before we move to the next mod.

Finally, I have to say that this has been a frustrating experience for AVSIM Staff too. We provide a free service and I have to tell you that some of the messages we have received have been more than disappointing and in some cases, downright disrespectful. I hope that some of you will consider that before you post about how bad we are, incompetent, unprofessional, etc. etc. (Unprofessional at what? Providing a free service from a bunch of fellow flight simulation enthusiasts?). Anyway, I will leave it at that.

This post has been promoted to an article

Glad things are working again.   All sites have problems at one time or another.  

Thanks for the update Tom.

At least you try and keep us informed.

Many other websites don't even bother to do that when they have problems.

FWIW, you have my full support and gratitude for the great service you folks are providing to our community.

Never mind the professional complainers!

Cheers!

I always worry that the slow-down is my ISP... cuz I just don't trust them. LOL

Personally, I think anyone who does all of this (AVSIM), whether it be for profit or not... takes a certain level of commitment that borders on needing to be commited. :wink:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thank-you Tom and Team for your hard work. The large majority of this community appreciate it.

Matthew Kane

takes a certain level of commitment that borders on needing to be commited

Say what? Ed, you smoking something? Or are you into that green beer already?

Sorry to hear that Tom.  

Sheesh People! 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Thanks for the update on the current situation. I can imagine how frustrating it must be being hindered by an 'outfit' that you have spent resources on and believed you could do 'good' business with. I hope that relationship can change for the better in the near future.

Best regards,

Mel

8:47pm EST, Library is back online and downloads work again. If you need a direct link, it will always work even if the link from main page does not:

http://library.avsim.net

that is the direct link we use to link to.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

AVSIM has always been more than accomodating to the flight sim community. I wholeheartedly believe the AVSIM presence in the www has made my product what it is today. Without AVSIM, it could have simply been nothing but a memory. I am truly a fan, and will remain so.

As EVEL KNIEVEL would say, "Happy Landings!"
http://www.towercab.com

Thanks for letting us know, it's really great how the staff @ AVSIM is so interactive with those around them. I kind of like this setup more than the former, because the last one was a little too much in my opinion. There was just too much to comprehend or it wasn't easy to navigate to different areas of the forums, either way, I love this site!

Hmmm hadn't even noticed.  I have signed in and enjoyed AVSIM for the last week and did not experience any hiccups... sorry that the staff at AVSIM have been pestered by a very small minority of members.  Really people? 

\Robert Hamlich/