Sign in to follow this  
Noel

P3D: 64-bit development appears hopeful ;o)

Yes, I know it's the FSX Forum, but this is too good not to pass on in case you're not paying attention.  From the ORBX-FTX forum, search the Prepard3D Version 2.0 thread, this comment:  Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Wasn't sure if it was forbidden to paste content, so didn't.  Good stuff sure hope he's right.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Yes, I know it's the FSX Forum, but this is too good not to pass on in case you're not paying attention.  From the ORBX-FTX forum, search the Prepard3D Version 2.0 thread, this comment:  Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Wasn't sure if it was forbidden to paste content, so didn't.  Good stuff sure hope he's right.

Dont have access to the forum, but I saw on the prepar3d facebook page that V2 is about 3 years away. 64bit hopeful at best. Its a massive undertaking if they decide to do it. They will make sure DX11 works first and from what DX10 did for FSX this would probably be a decent improvement.

Note you might want to post this on the P3D forums

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Without 64bit support we're all pretty much stuck ... I now have specific FSX configurations for the BAe-146 series and the PMDG 737NGX and the rest of my AC, it seems more and more 3rd party aircraft are hitting OOM in my "preferred" configuration which is forcing me to downgrade visuals in order to accommodate them.  Sadly it's actually pushing me away from 3rd party AC and/or sticking with more simplified AC and default AC.

But "within 3 years" is what LM have indicated ... so that's 2016 -- a lot can happen between now and then.  Does anyone know how large the P3D dev team is?  Last I heard P3D dev team was smaller than XP10 dev team ... migrating to 64bit can be either VERY easy or VERY hard, but apparently there is some Assembler code in FSX (and P3D) that would need to move to 64bit ... understanding Assembler code isn't trivial.

But if your info is accurate, I can understand the move to 64bit.

But if your info is accurate, I can understand the move to 64bit.

The person who made the comment stated he followed this on LM's forum.  I looked at some of the comments there and indeed there is discussion, but I'm not seeing a hard commitment or time frame, though the 3y time frame does seem compatible w/ the discussion thread.  They do reference the challenge w/ the old code involved, but cite other products that have moved forward to 64bit from the same time period FSX was developed.  Users there (P3D) all weigh in in heavy support of this.  It's just a matter of time, and IMO, the sooner the better.  There is so much to gain w/ native 64 bit, optimized multicore support for 8 core or more processors, offloading to the GPU, SLI support, you name it.  This opens the sim up to huge potential increases in quality--and ongoing since the hardware side has truly already chosen this strategy to improve performance over clock speed pretty much from here on, barring a totally novel fab process.  I really don't want to invest in more 32 bit bloatware in the current 32-bit environment.  Fortunately I have enough to keep me happy til the modern simulator emerges.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I dont know much at all about programming, but Im guessing its a lot harder than thought or else LM would have done it by now. XP have it done. Granted with more modern code.  If members of the ACES team is indeed on the P3D team then I would give the benefit rather than the doubt. They know better than anyone what is the foundation of FSX. And the sooner the better. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

They know better than anyone what is the foundation of FSX. And the sooner the better. 

That's it.   Supporting further add-on development for a dying platform is a dying proposition.  The old engine is truly limiting the real upside in flight simulation.  I think FSX has the right depth for sure, it's just sadly constrained at its core.   I'm [quite obviously] ready to begin investing in the 64-bit world for my favorite computing pastime.  The hardware is already tuned and ready and has been for years.  So by all means, the sooner the better ;o)

Noel

A lot of people who shifted to P3D were expecting a release of V2 this year... Umh... I think 3 years is another story. We can't see this as a close upgrade and I'm happy I resonably stayed away from P3D considering all the hassle to migrate the add-ons...

Now , we don..t have to forget that all the great addons (present and future) are developped under FSX so we all are going to enjoy a great simulator with great aircrafts (PMDG 737/777, FSLABS A320...).

OOM happens in very very occasions but with a good PC this day, you can enjoy flying a treat complex aircraft above nice sceneries.... So we have everything to be happy.

too much, too soon....

If P3D goes 64 bit, it will break compatibility with all addons that use C++ gauges anyway.

Unless they make a separate 32 bit process just for gauge dll's, which will probably reduce performance significantly and is a huge development task.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

I'll say it again, if you are getting an OOM error then something is wrong with your setup. One problem was duplicate afcad files from the main orbx scenery folder and another afcad in the specific scenery folder if I purchased it. Like KSFF, I bought it from Orbx, but KSFF afcad file is also in the main scenery folder. You need to remove the main one.

Second, set windows virtual memory to the max it recommends.

Third, remove any AI and go through it for corrupted, incorrectly sized, etc. textures. Especially night lights.

Forth, there are also some duplicates if you run Ultimate Terrain, especially if you mix UT with Orbx stuff. UT also has some strange problems with a couple airports in Alaska, you need to run a duplicate scanner and check everything properly. I guarantee you will find some dupes and that is one big problem causing crashes.

Lastly, some addons put empty texture folders in. Such as FS Real Time.

Regarding the OOMs and the like - I recently reinstalled FSX and only installed a few addon airports, weather textures, OPUS and the NGX.

I left out GEX, UTX, ORBX, UT2 etc. I now only run default AI traffic.

It runs super smooth, no OOM crashes or freezing etc. Granted doesnt look too good out of the window but I don't care as I have steady 24 frames locked, no juddering, pausing etc. As I am mainly heads down in the cockpit and spend more time in the air through and above the clouds than on the ground it works for me.

I am patiently waiting for the new version of P3D with all my P3D compatible addons from ORBX patiently waiting alongside me. When that is released I will then invest in the latest and greatest hardware....Titan 3 maybe?

Three years away!

Just really spoilt my weekend.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

wow.. Just imagine where XPlane 64bit will be 3 years from now... If none of your existing FSX addons will work with P3D 64bit, then it doesnt sound logical to bother waiting for P3D 64bit surely?

I'll say it again, if you are getting an OOM error then something is wrong with your setup.

That really isn't the case. You only need to be running too many high quality addons at the same time to cause an OOM error.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

HighTowers, on 22 Mar 2013 - 05:17, said:

but I saw on the prepar3d facebook page that V2 is about 3 years away.

3 years away?! I thought LM said 2013.

But who have said that V.2 gonna be 64bit...??