Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Oculus Rift Development Kit

Yes. And I'm not anticipating a rift commercial version to be released for at least another year. I'm impatient and like to be at the edge of technology.

Here is a link to a driver with compatibility with existing software -- http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/10/vireio-perception-driver-oculus-rift/

And of course I read before I purchased -- what kind of question is that? 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

And of course I read before I purchased -- what kind of question is that? 

I asked that question only because the current Oculus Rift is available for developers to create content for it, and work with the Oculus team to improve the overall quality of the consumer product.

Its all well and good buying some awesome new bit of gadge (I'll put my hands up, I see new gadge I buy it), but things like this you just have to wait as it will improve...

The one thing that bothers me with the developer version (and I assume it will get updated for the retail unit) is that there is currently no positional tracking in the rift, although they say its at the top of the list of things to do. So if you wanted to move your head, in and out of the cockpit to get a closer look at the radio stack in a cessna for interest (I do it all the time with my trackIR) then it would remain a fixed view inside the cockpit. But i suppose you could look down and zoom in to see a panel, as long as you could find the correct keyboard command of course :)

But the even greater worry is the high frames requirement that Oculus VR have stipilated from day one. 60fps or higher, constantly, might be a real struggle for many games trying to crowbar themselves into VR. Many games that havent been developed with VR in mind might just look plain odd. Developers have already realised that geometry looks too big or too short in some games. Palmer Luckey said that most FPS games have you running around at around 35mph, that is a sure fire way to make you feel sick very quickly. You can play convential games in the rift but I feel you wont get the most convincing experience that Oculus has touted.

For the flight sim crowed it may be geared more towards the VFR crowd; I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get mine (anticipating early April).

Right now I know Team Fortress 2 is compatible out of the box.

I agree. I'm really looking forward to playing with this piece of kit, depending on price of course, but I can't help thinking it's aimed more at those users who just use a single game pad where all the buttons are at your finger tips.

Unlike those of us who use TrackIR, a mouse, throttle quadrant, yoke, keyboard, switch panel, PZ70 multi panel and FSWidgets GMapHD on an Android Nexus7 kneepad.

I do hope I didn't waste my money buying a load of kit that could be redundant in a few months time, I really, really want a Rift.

Is it Christmas yet?

This certainly looks very interesting. I am just struggling to figure out how it would work in FSX. You would have to guess what hardware buttons and dials you are pressing without looking? The only way around it would be to wave our mouse about in the air the hopefully be able to click on the right buttons!

Are there any drivers for FSX out yet?

Use your mouse for the dials, feel for your throttle and yoke.

But if you have spent $1000s on hardware like some members this will render the kit obsolete?

Seems like, maybe it needs an open area at the bottom where you can see your keyboard/hardware for FSX.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

But if you have spent $1000s on hardware like some members this will render the kit obsolete?

I have a thousand dollar throttle and I still hope to use it with the rift.

The rift will be an intermediate until I can get a fully functional cockpit working -- MIP, MCP, CDU, surround visuals, etc.

Honestly I can't see any problems with using a throttle quadrant and yoke / joystick with the Occulus. I guess it's a bit like driving a stick shift / manual gear car, you don't ever take your eyes off the road. Your hands know where to go anyway. The problems only start if you want to use the keyboard I think.

The problems only start if you want to use the keyboard I think.

I couldn't use my MCP/Comm either if I can't see it.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Never thought of that either, guess it'll be hard to use for anybody with anything more than sort of a HOTAS setup. I'm only using the Cyborg X + Saitek pedals. There aren't enough buttons to get lost between on that setup.

Yoke + Rudder Pedals + Throttle + mouse for MCP.

I'll report back and let you all know how it goes. 

Honestly I can't see any problems with using a throttle quadrant and yoke / joystick with the Occulus. I guess it's a bit like driving a stick shift / manual gear car, you don't ever take your eyes off the road. Your hands know where to go anyway. The problems only start if you want to use the keyboard I think.

Exactly, especially if you use add-ons that require keyboard input like GSX, RC4, proATCX the list goes on.

Well, this device is not designed for people with home cockpit. Instead of building a cockpit around your head, this device puts your head in cockpit.

Well, this device is not designed for people with home cockpit. Instead of building a cockpit around your head, this device puts your head in cockpit.

I guess I have to agree with that.  Still, it may be a little tough to click buttons because of the shake of the head.  I had that problem with TrackIR and ultimately ended up shelving it.

Gregg Seipp