Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Oculus Rift Development Kit

I think OR might work better for any passengers rather than the pilot.

Imagine strapping them on to your friend and taking them for a virtual flight.

That sure would impress.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I certainly think that it would have its place in flight simming and that would depend on what sort of simming you do.   Statements like 'the OR wont have any place in fsx because...'  don't really have a foundation across all flying styles.

I agree that if you have a home cockpit for a big bus then your immediate enjoyment from using an OR may not be as much as using all your radios, fmc's, glass cockpits etc.

Head mounted displays have been around for a long time and never gained anywhere the amount of traction that the OR already has before it's launch.   It's also happening at a time that complementary technologies have been developed and are being developed, e.g. the ps3 eye, MS kinect,  razer hydra and leap motion.    I have a feeling that a lot of progress will be made quickly so that we have effective ways to interact with out virtual world.

It's actually the headset itself and the resolution that concerns me more.

For $80 this is about to hit the market.   Imagine a virtual hand in the sim and you control it with this 

Pressing buttons, turning knobs etc shouldnt be a problem.   At the end of the day it's whats going to impress you more.  The immersion of being in the cockpit and any compromises that you may (or may not) have to put up with or your desire for physical knobs, levers and buttons.

I fly small things, military, with replica pieces.  My sim takes up a big part of the room and I am hoping that this technology will replace all of that but time will tell.  I have the dev kit coming and I expect it to tell me that this is the future but I dont expect it to be in a state that I will want to replace what I have.

Having a replica cockpit is nice but if I can feel like I am in a real plane and I can fly an a10 in an a10 cockpit and an f16 in an f16 cockpit then I am sold :)

The most immersive use of the rift yet, and in a flight sim! My rift is finally getting ready to ship.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

My OCULUS RIFT HAS ARRIVED!

Will be testing soon, I have heard TrackFacenoir has built in support for FSX.

I've got the internal tracker working with facetrack noir per release rift support version, still trying to get verieo to work. Will experiment more tonight when I get back from work.

FSX for Rift CONFIRMED working! 

2013_4_30_13_39_23_592.jpg

Immersion is fantastic, I thought the gauages would be unreadable, but they are not too bad! I am going to experiment with the NGX now, and I'll put up a tutorial on how to hack the rift to work with FSX.

Looking forward to that. Could you also test it with X-Plane and Flightgear? ( if possible also with Ubuntu )

Is that a developer version? Any idea when the consumer version should hit the shelves?

I will see if I can test it with X-plane, I don't have Flightgear. This is the developer version, I don't anticipate the consumer version releasing for awhile.

I get very nauseated very easily with the rift, don't know if it is because of the level of immersion and my terrible flying-- I have to be easy with the yoke. Mouse is unusable because of the warped image. 

To get this working with fsx.exe --

You'll need - Facetracknoir build 20130428 2.7 http://speedy.sh/J2RjC/ftnoir-posix-20130428-2.7z (pre-alpha 2.8) or above, and Vireio Perception.

Go to the Perception/cfg folder and edit profiles.xml - add FSX (copy from the other profiles) with the following settings: 
game_type="0" game_exe="fsx.exe"

Go to the Perception/bin folder - copy the 3 dlls to your FSX directory (where fsx.exe resides): d3d9.dll, hijackdll.dll, libfreespace.dll

Start FacetrackNoir (ftnoir.exe), set the first Tracker Source to "Rift". Set the Game Protocol to "FreeTrack 2.0"
You need to edit the curves to allow free head movement -- I've yet to figure that part out. Put on the rift and in the Go! box click "Start"

Start perception.exe, and select "Oculus Rift" in the drop down menu with "No Tracking". 

Start FSX.exe -- make sure your video settings within FSX is set to 1280x800x32 

Enjoy!

So how do I integrate with my VRinsight MCP, my switch panels, keyboard, view my CDU, check my charts, use my Ipad when I have a bloomin darn monitor strapped to my forehead?!!! :mellow:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

So how do I integrate with my VRinsight MCP, my switch panels, keyboard, view my CDU, check my charts, use my Ipad when I have a bloomin darn monitor strapped to my forehead?!!! :mellow:

Not going to work :)