Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Oculus Rift Development Kit

William,   I would suggest that you do not buy one just yet.  

I believe in the technology a lot and I cant wait for it to mature but if you want to use it for gaming right now I dont think it will be quite what you expect.   It will be cool for sure but probably not something you want to do all your simming in all the time.

I would wait at least a couple of months, not necessarily until the production version if you are really keen but at least until more is known about the dev kit V2 which isnt supposed to be too far away.  If they manage to get a much better screen for that then you may have done yourself a big favor.

This is a really interesting topic. I hope we hear more information and reviews soon. So great to have technology like this on the horizon! 

Anthony Cacciatore

A little bit confused: did you mean that OR does not do 3D in FSX yet? But your screen shots clearly are in 3D?

By all means, it's fantastic that OR works for FSX so easily. Thanks for trying and I now couldn't wait to get the consumer version. 1920x1080(540) won't be too bad. If they can manage to get the resolution even higher in the consumer version I'll be ecstatic!

I don't know if FSX allows you to do 3D, I just haven't tried. The effects are not in 3d, however I feel immersed enough that I do not think 3d will matter. The resolution is a major issue -- it is extremely blurry -- yes, gauges are still readable, but unusable  -- you can't manipulate them with the mouse.  

How well do you manipulate the cockpit switches and stuff if you state you are having an issue with distortion for the mouse.

Have you found a way to do this yet? I am really thinking hard on this purchase for some reason and just have a few questions I would love someone in the community who has one to answer.

I don't have panels or anything, just a joystick and throttle, but I do use the mouse a lot. Is this a no go with the OR?

Is maintaining a huge level of FPS to run it a issue with FSX?

Thanks.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

I can't use the switches in the VR cockpit in the rift because of the required distortion, your mouse cursor doesn't match up with the image you see on the rift. I have no issues with FPS; you are running at a very low resolution -- 1280x800 at its current specs. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I don't know if FSX allows you to do 3D, I just haven't tried. The effects are not in 3d, however I feel immersed enough that I do not think 3d will matter. The resolution is a major issue -- it is extremely blurry -- yes, gauges are still readable, but unusable  -- you can't manipulate them with the mouse.  

I can't use the switches in the VR cockpit in the rift because of the required distortion, your mouse cursor doesn't match up with the image you see on the rift. I have no issues with FPS; you are running at a very low resolution -- 1280x800 at its current specs. 

FSX does do 3d but only the virtual cockpits render. Virtual cockpits and outside objects are two different enviroments.

The 3D cockpits are very cool and immersive but screw that if your still flying over flat 2D scenery.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

FSX does do 3d but only the virtual cockpits render. Virtual cockpits and outside objects are two different enviroments.

The 3D cockpits are very cool and immersive but screw that if your still flying over flat 2D scenery.

I thought other people have already been running FSX on full 3D? I heard that one catch is the runway lights which are 2D - and I can imagine how that could totally ruin the show when you're landing...

It'll be great that OmniAtlas could give FSX 3D a try using his OR....

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I thought other people have already been running FSX on full 3D? I heard that one catch is the runway lights which are 2D - and I can imagine how that could totally ruin the show when you're landing...

It'll be great that OmniAtlas could give FSX 3D a try using his OR....

I've been playing with FSX in 3D Vision for a year now, yea the runway lights are screwed, and about OR I thought stereoscopic 3d was the standard on it or is it an option????

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

fly in stereo 3d sometimes with Tridef interlaced effect and love the perception effect of it over photoreal 3d, but with Occulus can't see it being user friendly with buttons to push etc. The lights are a issues in 3d love a program just all 3d lights. Just say get 3dtv with track ir your good to go

I've been playing with FSX in 3D Vision for a year now, yea the runway lights are screwed, and about OR I thought stereoscopic 3d was the standard on it or is it an option????

Thanks for confirming that!

OmniAtlas said he turned off 3D in the driver software when he was flying FSX with the OR. I guess he can easily turn the 3D on and I'm really curious how thing may look like. But at least he's already happy without 3D -- the wide FOV of 110 degree must be wonderful..

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I didn't turn it off, just have no idea how to turn 3d on with the perception driver.

For full immersion a cockpit build is still the way to go and I hope to get there some day.

As the current developer version of OR only provides rotational inputs, would it be possible to combine it with trackIR to input sideways, in/out and up/down movement as well? I believe that function is planned for the Rift eventually and it would add loads for the immersion.

Well guys, as much as I love the Rift, the resolution doesn't cut it out for me -- I'm very sensitive to light (I suffer from a medical condition) and have put it up for sale on ebay. 

I think it is against the policy of avsim for me to post a link, but if you do a search for 'Oculus Rift Development Kit' with a seller from Brisbane, Australia, then it is most likely my sale. If you're interested here is a chance to get a rift if you can't wait months to get it delivered (I was one of the first 5000 kickstarter backers).

Please message me if you have any further queries. 

is it okay to resale the kit?

I believe that function is planned for the Rift eventually and it would add loads for the immersion.

It is. The code is there but the hardware is still being worked out

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Well guys, as much as I love the Rift, the resolution doesn't cut it out for me -- I'm very sensitive to light (I suffer from a medical condition) and have put it up for sale on ebay. 

I think it is against the policy of avsim for me to post a link, but if you do a search for 'Oculus Rift Development Kit' with a seller from Brisbane, Australia, then it is most likely my sale. If you're interested here is a chance to get a rift if you can't wait months to get it delivered (I was one of the first 5000 kickstarter backers).

Please message me if you have any further queries. 

Whats the max resolution on it????

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

Very interesting developments:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=752&start=40

Still concerned about how the mouse functions because obviously in planes like the NGX you will need to click a lot of things!

Not sure if this piece of software will improve the experience:

http://nthusim.com/newsletter/announcing-nthusim-hmd-software