Sign in to follow this  
doorstep

A new (NGX) version of the wonderful MD-11

If the choice was to sit idle and wait for the next big project, or to make a cheap upgrade for the Md-11 to a near NGX-standard (as close as it gets without having to remake the whole aircraft), I really dont see the problem.

Problem is, it is not that cheap.

But by that strategy, "making money where money was previously not made", its really no true loss for them to upgrade the Md-11.

I agree with what Peter said, above, but you're also ignoring an important fact:

To bring the MD-11 up to the NGX performance level, it would likely require the same clean-sheet development that the 737 got, and the 747 is getting.  This means it would have to be an entirely different development cycle in and of itself, and not a simple patch of what's out there now.  Sure, some people are only looking for higher definition panel graphics, but it's not that simple.

These interim projects are not full developments, as I've probably mentioned at least three times in this thread already.  They're light products, aimed at keeping the team busy after the various sub-teams complete their projects.  Since they are not as in-depth as the full products, the development cycle is shorter, and simpler, and does not risk pushing the next in-depth product back.

Kyle Rodgers

I agree with what Peter said, above, but you're also ignoring an important fact:

To bring the MD-11 up to the NGX performance level, it would likely require the same clean-sheet development that the 737 got, and the 747 is getting.  This means it would have to be an entirely different development cycle in and of itself, and not a simple patch of what's out there now.  Sure, some people are only looking for higher definition panel graphics, but it's not that simple.

These interim projects are not full developments, as I've probably mentioned at least three times in this thread already.  They're light products, aimed at keeping the team busy after the various sub-teams complete their projects.  Since they are not as in-depth as the full products, the development cycle is shorter, and simpler, and does not risk pushing the next in-depth product back.

The 737, and the 747 to a certain extent, needed clean-sheet redesigns because there were things which were missed or were not done right in the original version.  Easier to begin from scratch than try and expand and correct the original.  The MD-11 benefitted from the lessons of the 737 and 747 so is in a much better state.

I think you could upgrade the panel graphics, maybe remodel the VC to higher accuracy, and leave the FDE and systems programming as it is.  The external 3D model could be left as it is too.  So it certainly needn't be a full development cycle.  .

I certainly wouldn't pay for a brand new MD-11 V2, the original version is still very good, but if it was commercially viable I would buy a VC upgrade to the original MD-11.  A product expansion, not a replacement.  But at the price for a typical expansion, and with the limited number that were sold in the first place, it might not bring in enough revenue to break even.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The 737, and the 747 to a certain extent, needed clean-sheet redesigns because there were things which were missed or were not done right in the original version.  Easier to begin from scratch than try and expand and correct the original.  The MD-11 benefitted from the lessons of the 737 and 747 so is in a much better state.

From what I recall, the code optimization that the NGX got was implemented in the J41 and later (NGX), but the MD-11 was not part of that.  I could be wrong, but that's what I was speaking to.  I agree with what you are saying, as well.

I think you could upgrade the panel graphics, maybe remodel the VC to higher accuracy, and leave the FDE and systems programming as it is.  The external 3D model could be left as it is too.  So it certainly needn't be a full development cycle.

If the upgrade were only visual, I'd agree with that, but as the thread title includes "NGX version," I'd extend that to include the optimization present.  If not, I definitely agree with you.

I certainly wouldn't pay for a brand new MD-11 V2, the original version is still very good, but if it was commercially viable I would buy a VC upgrade to the original MD-11.  A product expansion, not a replacement.  But at the price for a typical expansion, and with the limited number that were sold in the first place, it might not bring in enough revenue to break even.

Agreed, though if it was a fully redesigned (like the 73/74) version, I probably would pay for it.  I'm not holding my breath for either, however.

Kyle Rodgers

I adore the MD-11. I fly it the most out of all the aircraft I own. And I would encourage any update project!

From what I recall, the code optimization that the NGX got was implemented in the J41 and later (NGX), but the MD-11 was not part of that.  I could be wrong, but that's what I was speaking to.  I agree with what you are saying, as well.

If the upgrade were only visual, I'd agree with that, but as the thread title includes "NGX version," I'd extend that to include the optimization present.  If not, I definitely agree with you.

Agreed, though if it was a fully redesigned (like the 73/74) version, I probably would pay for it.  I'm not holding my breath for either, however.

Yes, the MD-11 pre-dated that development, but it was still better optimised than the 747.  I guess it depends on whether even more optimisation is needed to run the higher fidelity NGX graphics.  

My understanding of what people mean by an NGX version of the MD-11 is all about the visual look and feel of the NGX.  I haven't seen anyone calling for a more complete or accurate simulation.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Ill emphasize previous comments. I fly this bird often. There is nothing wrong with the systems modelling and flight dynamics. There is a small bug in the FMC but thats about it. All would be needed is visual upgrades. 

The Level D 767 has a pretty darn good model too, but the visuals suck compared to today. Same situation. 

I think it would be worth it to pay for a visuals upgrade.  I dont see why this wouldnt be an interim project especially since DC6 is considered one if im not mistaken and that is from scratch and would be limited in market appeal. Very niche. 

Perhaps PMDG feel that once the 777 comes out, that everyone will put this bird to the museum and intrest will significantly wane and be all but forgotten.  I personally disagree, because its a character aircraft all on its own unique from anything else that comes out. Especially newer aircraft with "quiet" engines. Where else you going to get engine startup rumbling that shakes the floor from the subs with neighbors thinking there is an earthquake. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Perhaps PMDG feel that once the 777 comes out, that everyone will put this bird to the museum and intrest will significantly wane and be all but forgotten.  I personally disagree, because its a character aircraft all on its own unique from anything else that comes out. Especially newer aircraft with "quiet" engines. Where else you going to get engine startup rumbling that shakes the floor from the subs with neighbors thinking there is an earthquake. 

lol! It's a pretty cool sound.

I'm sad KLM are retiring their MD11's pretty soon (some have already gone to the scrapper).

I do believe the Freighter will stay around for a bit longer, and hopefully they can stay in my sim for a bit too.

However, as of April 2013, the PMDG MD11 is still the best long-range widebody aircraft simulator available for FSX. It certainly leads LDS767 and PMDG 747 (v1).

Overall I'd put it maybe 2nd or 3rd behind other PMDG products as the top 3 simulated aircraft ever made for FSX to date.

Ill emphasize previous comments. I fly this bird often. There is nothing wrong with the systems modelling and flight dynamics. There is a small bug in the FMC but thats about it. All would be needed is visual upgrades. 

The Level D 767 has a pretty darn good model too, but the visuals suck compared to today. Same situation. 

I think it would be worth it to pay for a visuals upgrade.  I dont see why this wouldnt be an interim project especially since DC6 is considered one if im not mistaken and that is from scratch and would be limited in market appeal. Very niche. 

The HD VC textures make a big difference.

Agreed HD VC textures would very big difference

Can you kindly clarify where this bug manifests itself?

It can happen when you have DEP and ARR airports the same or when you have a go around and enter waypoints to come back to the airport although it only happened to me once.  But Ive had CTD or freezing on the init page when entering airports at times. The situations are rare for the most part.

Heres also a reference to the bug.   http://forum.avsim.net/topic/300341-fmc-use-ctd/

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Pity it is only for FS2004, otherwise I'd have bought it. Thanks for that link.

If it was for FSX I'd be flying it! I miss the LDS 763 - NGX has ruined me  :(

If it was for FSX I'd be flying it! I miss the LDS 763 - NGX has ruined me  :(

Ditto here, Luke. Can you imagine 2 years later what the T7 will be like? Looking forward to my first T7 flight from EGLL with Jet Airways next month. Not quite sure which variant they use.