Sign in to follow this  
MED1473

MD11, still worth it?

Hi all, just a quick one.

I have always had a thing for this wonderful bird, so I have been thinking for a while to purchase the PMDG sim of the MD11. The only thing that is stopping me now is the doubt if it is not a bit too "old", in software terms.

So basically the question is this, is it still worth it?

If some current owner could spare some advice and possibly a few pros and cons I would be grateful.

Cheers!!

It's not too old, no way!  This bird is fully featured and still compares favorably to any other addon out today. It has a few minor weakpoints (the VC lacks some modelled detail here and there, but it's still a great VC) and some other small odds and ends like you can't choose the startup panel state like you can in the NGX. But trust me, you won't go wrong with the purchase!! And it's a totally unique flying experience. 

What he said...I fly it constantly. Its system modelling and fidelity is right up there with the best.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Go for it! You may see less and less of this wonderful bird but it still is a unique character.

Some of the technology in it was truly advanced for its day. It is a hybrid, it has its challenges in handling (specially approach and landing) like no other, and it is a joy to fly.

Also dont forget although its advertised at 80$ when you check out its only 60$,well worth it

Gary Stallard

I just got done flying it to PHNL and it's a joy to fly....Different systems than the Boeing so it keeps you on your toes. I split my time with the NGX and MD11. Buy it you won't be disappointed .

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

yes it is, the MD 11 is a different breed than boeing or airbus, and i guess it is a must try aircraft since you will learn a new philosophy. 

as for the quality of the aircraft, well if you are looking for nearly complete systems and very good dynamics (one of the top five currently in the market), and you want to learn a new breed then go for it.

At the end of the day, it is your call.

So basically the question is this, is it still worth it?

It's not too old, no way!  This bird is fully featured and still compares favorably to any other addon out today. It has a few minor weakpoints (the VC lacks some modelled detail here and there, but it's still a great VC) and some other small odds and ends like you can't choose the startup panel state like you can in the NGX. But trust me, you won't go wrong with the purchase!! And it's a totally unique flying experience. 

Absolutely worth it. I echo all the replies above. Like some posters said though, the NGX has a dark side. Once you start flying it, the graphics (especially the virtual cockpit) on other products simply doesn't compare. The NGX was that big of a step forward. It's perfectly analogous to buying a brand new LED flatscreen and hooking up to HD cable after using a like a CRT or DLP projector TV. Flip the old tv on after using the new one and its nauseating. 

That said, the MD-11 has an outstanding system modeling and the repaints are great. Many options through MPS as well as free fictional and real ones on this site. I love this bird - it's a cult favorite and the system and theory behind the a/c operation was simply ahead of its time. Plus, it is a fickle woman. She is very very difficult to master in terms of simple stick and rudder flying. It's fun. You never see other developers go for such a niche or rare bird. I have always wanted an MD-11 and an L1011 (my favorite is the 763 but because of one unnamed developer, I pretend it doesn't exist anymore and that's an entirely different story / running joke when it comes to FSX development). I'm happy to have at least the MD-11.

In short - YES - get it. The only drawback are the VC textures. PMDG just outdid themselves and it's a funny complaint to have. 

You have an absolute yes from as well. I said I was going to retire this bird to the hangar once the777 comes out but I can't do it. She's just such a cool bird. She flies like a military jet in some respects because of the short wings and what not..she has a lot of power and just to go and not slow down. My suggestion is if you buy it then also purchase the angle of attack training for it. I learned so much more visually learning that I truly love this bird and have mastered it for the most part. Quite advanced with a lot of automation yet still unique. You wont regret it. I certainly didn't to this day. <br /><br /><br /><br />

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Absolutely marvellous add-on! I bough the FSX/FS9 combo version but I fly it all the time in FS9 for performance and stability reason. Personally I really like the VC and especially the night lightning which I would say is probably the best among all FS9-birds I have. The functionality in VC is second to none (in the FS9 world) and it has a lot of ambient sounds, like that magnicifent rumbling when you fire up the engines. How realistic that sound and level is I really don't know, but it always puts a smile on my face..

When, not if, you get it I strongly recommend you fly the tutorial since you can't just jump into it and think it works like your ordinary Boeing!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Cheers guys for all the answers, just what I wanted, people to tell me "buy it!". Just downloaded the manuals and will spend the night running through them. Will probably end up getting it tommorrow.

It's nice to see that obviously many people that are affectionate to this bird love this sim so much and are ready to voice it.

Can't wait to fly it now!

Any known problems of useful tweaks for a first install thay anybody is aware of? (might as well exploit the fact that it has been out for a while...)

I had no issues with it when I first installed it. The only challenge really was to learn the system differences.

Good article here

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a18/tips-for-boeing-pilots-learning-the-md-11.aspx

Yep get it, you can probably find a boxed version on Amazon fairly cheap. I got mine for around 50USD.

Until 777 is released, it is the best long haul airline/freighter simulation out there. After 777 is released, it will still be 2nd best. The VC textures aren't too bad. The MD's VC not as new or sharp as the NGX. They are quite a bit better than 747v1's VC textures. The MD-11 gets better FPS on my machine than the NGX.

Cheers

TJ

Hello Matt, as one sports apparel commercial says: just do it!! It is unique, in its own class, pleasant to the eye and the ears. True, the VC might not be as spectacular as the NGX's, but to me that does not make any difference. I am glad I have it in my hangar, I believe it is a must have. PMDG really delved deep into the workings of this bird, and were able to replicate it close to 100%. Pretty much every switch and knob works as expected, my recommendation: get the manuals ( print them out yourself or, if you are a nerd like me, buy them), and start slow, tutorials first, do them more than once, after all is clear, move on to the System and FMS manual, and after that the FCOM, both volumes. It is going to take a while to master it, but this is the fun part (I told you I am a nerd....lol). With it, you can do long hauls, but with the right amount of fuel, weight, and length of runway, you may pretend you are doing some test flights, and choose a shorter route, like 2/3 hour flights, even less.

It is my first PMDG jewel, and won't be the last (I already bought the NGX, and waiting for the 777 and 747 V 2.0). If you really love flying, then the MD-11 is a must, do not just stop at the eye candy, (by the way, it still looks awesome to the eye), look for complexity and fidelity to the real thing. Hope this helps,

Enrico  :wink:

I bought all PmdG Aircrafts for FSX and I have to say the MD-11 was love on the second look!

That beauty is a every day appearance on our airport (Aeroflot freighter) , but I was in Boeing all the times.

Someday I decided to buy that marvellous bird to see whats behind and It never disappointed me!!

Even if it is one of the oldest planes I have it is still worth every penny! Systemwise totally different to

what boeing did and challenging in some situations, that's what I like the most on her!

On top it's a unique appearance with these 3 engines, I like it!!

Good job PmdG!! :good:

Greetings

Sven Wendel 

Sven Wendel

Everyone else has said it all really, so to answer your original question - yes it's still worth it.

I can't honestly envisage anyone posting on this thread to tell you otherwise !!   :lol: