Sign in to follow this  
Tony747-400

True Heading switch?

Hi

I want to do some polar flying and know I have to be in True Heading up there. I just can't find the switch to change between True & Magnetic. Is there a switch anywhere? If not how does a real 737NG fly in these areas?

Tony

Not modeled on the NGX currently. I'm not aware of any real life airlines actually doing polar ops with 737NGs by the way - it requires special ETOPS certifications and everything above and beyond the usual ones and it's really only done by the bigger 777s, A330s, future 787s and A350s etc. I'm not even sure any airline has ordered the option actually - I looked at pics of a few airlines I suspected might have like Alaska, SAS, Norwegian etc and none of them appeared to have the MAG/TRU switch that's required.

It's something that's on our list of potential things to add for SP2, but no guarantees. Our 777 will be able to do it on day one.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I looked at pics of a few airlines I suspected might have like Alaska, SAS, Norwegian etc and none of them appeared to have the MAG/TRU switch that's required.

SAS flies to Longyearbyen (ENSB), which is 78N, so it should have them.  I have a feeling, if anything, it might be a select few tail numbers though.  They have both 738s and 737s on that route, so it could be a smattering in there.

On the other hand, they might just have an exemption from their agency for the one airport.  The FAA says 78N is the cut, and ENSB is just over that mark, so it might be exempted.

Kyle Rodgers

I was surprised to learn that the switch for True & Mag heading was actually an option. I understand the complexities of operating Polar routes, ETOPS etc, thought the switch would have been a standard fit anyway.

SAS flies to Longyearbyen (ENSB), which is 78N, so it should have them.

No, I've flown to ENSB on NGX. On 15E maximum latitude is 80N. Check limitations in FCOM.

No, I've flown to ENSB on NGX. On 15E maximum latitude is 80N. Check limitations in FCOM.

Cool - good to know.  What does the 15E refer to?

Kyle Rodgers

It's ENSB longtitude.

[Option - Without polar navigation]

Maximum flight operating latitude – 82° North and 82° South, except for the region between 80° West and 130 ° West longitude, the maximum flight operating latitude is 70° North, and the region between 120° East and 160° East longitude, the maximum flight operating latitude is 60° South.

It's ENSB longtitude.

Gotcha - thanks for the quote, too.  I was at work, so I didn't have the FCTM around.

Kyle Rodgers