Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Which Is The Better?

Just seen a a heads-up for a Flight1 sale of the P-51D. I already have the WarbirdsSim version. So, which is the better?

I thought there was only one P51, the A2A version. :unknw:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Ron, you must have an incredibly intuitive mind, cos that was exactly what flashed through my mind, which is precisely why I posed the question, as I do not have either the Flight1 or the A2A versions but the WarbirdsSim version only.

The A2A P-51 is tops, especially with it's accusim module.   Starting the engine alone makes it worth it...like a cranky V-12 starting on a cold day.  You can start the engine on fuel primer and pump alone with mixture at cut-off, then feed in the mixture after it has started, like a real one.

You just have to decide which style you want, military or civil.  They share the same accusim pack, that means if you get the civil and accusim pack now, then later want the military version, you don't need to buy another accusim pack for it. 

Cheers

TJ

Hi TJ

This P-51D market is getting really confusing. There's the WarbirdsSim offering; then Flight1's; then A2A's version; and now I have discovered that DCS also have one too, a sale I missed recently, and I do have DCS products.

Furthermore, A2A's options confuse me even more as they have a basic package for which you have to purchase the Accu-Sim, so in effect doubling the purchase costs. H'mmmmm. Much as I like realism, I'm afraid not at the expense of lining up somebodys else's coffers charging me twice for what should in effect be offered as a bundle first time around.

Hi TJ

This P-51D market is getting really confusing. There's the WarbirdsSim offering; then Flight1's; then A2A's version; and now I have discovered that DCS also have one too, a sale I missed recently, and I do have DCS products.

Furthermore, A2A's options confuse me even more as they have a basic package for which you have to purchase the Accu-Sim, so in effect doubling the purchase costs. H'mmmmm. Much as I like realism, I'm afraid not at the expense of lining up somebodys else's coffers charging me twice for what should in effect be offered as a bundle first time around.

A2A is not charging you twice for one product. They have the base aircraft at $29.99 which is still superb, the Accu-sim update is totally optional and it goes all-out with realism. It's the most realistic piston aircraft simulation ever made IMO.. trust me on this, don't knock it till you try it.  If you have any interest at all in old warbirds and are a stickler for realism and high quality stuff, once you go A2A you won't look back :)

I know the cost may seem high but A2A makes absolutely top of the line products, I just can't stress that enough.  Nothing else even compares.. one might say they are the PMDG of vintage aircraft.

A2A is not charging you twice for one product. They have the base aircraft at $29.99 which is still superb, the Accu-sim update is totally optional and it goes all-out with realism. It's the most realistic piston aircraft simulation ever made IMO.. trust me on this, don't knock it till you try it.  If you have any interest at all in old warbirds and are a stickler for realism and high quality stuff, once you go A2A you won't look back :)

I know the cost may seem high but A2A makes absolutely top of the line products, I just can't stress that enough.  Nothing else even compares.. one might say they are the PMDG of vintage aircraft.

Thanks, molleh and TJ. Both make valid and convincing arguments for me to take that A2A plunge.

I would too would HAVE to agree about A2A.  All their stuff is simply stunning!  I also have some of the Warbirdsim P51 variants.  They too are excellent, but not quite as much fun as an 'Accusimmed' model.

You don't need Accusim, but It's higly reccomended and will give you an expirience noone of the other p51 addons out there could give you. And personally I would say there is only one choice for a P51 addon, and that is A2A's P51! Offcourse the DCS one is good too but then where talking about another sim but for FSX the A2A is the one to get...

I think you will enjoy it very much.  Accusim will make you 'think' more like a real pilot, you will be scanning your instruments more carefully and be mindful the little (but very important) things, such as oil pressure, ambient cockpit temp, 'engine health' and so on.

If you haven't already, be sure to sign up at the A2A forum, they are very helpful there.  There is a learning curve to these accusimmed airplanes but they are very rewarding when you master them, plus you will have a deeper understanding of aircraft systems. 

Cheers

TJ

Thanks, molleh and TJ. Both make valid and convincing arguments for me to take that A2A plunge.

Hi Phil(good to see you back),Kaboki and TJ. Thank you for your relevant inputs. That learning curve of getting a hang of the Accu-Sim is what has deterred me in the past from purchasing any of their products and I know a reviewer in PC PIlot who gave their 377 a Platinum Award. I guess I will learn adn eventually get the hang of it.

I'm just glad that I first consulted herein before splashing out on either the DCS or the Flight1 versions.

Well every airplane has its own set of proceedures and thus a learning curve, especially in real life. Learning to fly a 172 you have to understand it's systems.  I remember for my oral exam for my private certificate, I had to draw/label 172 electrical schematics and fuel system for the check pilot.  Then going from say a 172 to a Piper Seminole, there are new systems to learn and understand. 

The PMDG MD-11 certainly has a learning curve. ^_^  Most airplanes do share the same type of systems..ie electrical, hydraulic, fuel, oil, powerplant, anti-ice...etc Even a 172 has a lot of these systems, albeit simplified compared to an MD-11. Monitoring these systems in the MD-11 is a good idea, likewise for any airplane.

Don't be intimidated by the learning curve, if you took the time to master the MD-11, you can learn the P-51 pretty easy. Matter of fact the P-51 is a fairly automated compared to the Spitfire and P-40. Like the MD-11, P-51 certianly requires a high level of attention from the pilot. Accusim gives you reasons to give that level of attention. Those accusim planes get platinum awards for a reason, like PMDG, A2A is really deep into the mechanics, science, feel and art of flying.

Cheers
TJ

Hi TJ

Once again, thanks for your words of encouragement.

Yes, I recall using the AoA lessons to master the MD-11, and where previously I used just switch on the A/P soon after reaching say a 1000ft, now I hand-fly it following the FD upto 10000ft before engaging the A/P, so you're right. I must tell myself if I could do it with such a complex Big Jet, then I'm sure I can immerse myself in the Accu-Sim of the P-51D. And with kind folks like you and several others who have posted here, I'm sure if I hit the brickwall, I can always solicit advice here.

Good luck with it all Rick. Mastering these planes is a fun learning experience. It is a real treat when you successfuly fly the plane, because you will have flown it with the same basic level of skill and systems knowelege to fly a real one.  Just getting the engine started will be an experience B)

There are a lot of good tutorials for these planes over at the A2A forum. And if you still need help, just ask for Dudley over there, he is a real P-51 pilot, CFI, and a member of the A2A dev team, he will help you though it.

These are some flying tips that he posted.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=32663

Cheers
TJ