I have a 27" AOC and it sucks flying at night (milky clouds, rubbish textures)....Everything is ok during dawn, day etc...Except the night.

Do not waste money with AOC

Regis Biassala 

If you use a 144hz monitor you need do set different FPS lock in FSX and a different vsync in inspector. Either lock@36 combined with 1/4 refresh rate vsync or lock@48 and 1/3 refresh rate vsync.

I've had good success with my 3D 144hz lcd monitor using the 36 fsx internal limiter.. but if trying to use the external one, the best you can set is 35 fps at 1/4 refresh rate (which to me still looks great and i get a 2 fps boost overall on one test). 

Has anyone else tried the inspector external limiter for 144hz?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I got the ASUS VG278HE a few days ago.

Tech Specs:

27"

1920x1080

144HZ

2ms

3D  

Its a really neat monitor, worth the money in my opinion. I have also looked at various Samsung monitors, they just didn't have the specific specs I was looking for and / or were too pricey for what they had to offer.

You really notice the 144hz when moving the mouse around the desktop and playing games in intense action. Its a massive improvement coming from a 22" Samsung BW2232 1680x1050 @60hz. 

The ASUS VG278HE has many different picture settings by a touch of a button on the monitor. The various mods consist of: Standard, Scenery, SGRB, Game, Theatre.

I have not yet tried the 3D vision as you have to buy the glasses and receiver separately, that has to be the biggest let down for me with this monitor, as you would expect there to be some glasses included seeing as though its a 3D monitor. 

FSX is nothing but pure beautiful quality, great response time, obviously the monitor wont improve frames as its just a monitor and not your internal computer hardware. 

I would highly recommend this monitor to anyone (I am very picky when it comes to buying stuff like this) as it is just right / perfect for anyone who wants to take full advantage of the scenery or quality a game has to offer. 

Regards, Ciaran.

Hey 

i just bought one of these any recomendations on the best settings or tweaks 

Thanks 

JHo

one year after the original post,

could anybody list minimal specs for enjoying ORBX terrain and weather without disappointment (on FSX)?

Thanks

I just wish a company would start producing the larger displays with resolutions of 2560x1600. I can't imagine what FSX would look like on a 37" screen with the higher resolution.

Unless it proves to be unworkable (from the video card, driver and set capabilities) my next screen is going to be a 50 or 55" 4K Ultra HD TV - 3840 X 2160. Same pixel density as my 27" monitor and 4 times the size. Nirvana! :P

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Unless it proves to be unworkable (from the video card, driver and set capabilities) my next screen is going to be a 50 or 55" 4K Ultra HD TV - 3840 X 2160. Same pixel density as my 27" monitor and 4 times the size. Nirvana! :P

I'm a bit surprised you're the first one posting an HDTV.  I switched from three side-by-side 19" monitors a while back to a 42" HDTV.  I winced because I didn't know what to expect when I started it up but then I was surprised.  Everything in front of me was the size I would expect in a real cockpit.  Outside the cockpit, everything there was real size too.  It was really immersive.  The only thing was the colors at dusk which were washed out...probably because it was an old, old TV.  I've got my sim offline while I'm building a new machine now but I'm planning to stay with the HDTV. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'm a bit surprised you're the first one posting an HDTV.

Yep - me too! The 27" monitor I mentioned is on my normal PC. For FSX I use a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV.  I think 4K would be amazing - I could increase my FOV even more and get better clarity and detail.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Yep - me too! The 27" monitor I mentioned is on my normal PC. For FSX I use a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV. I think 4K would be amazing - I could increase my FOV even more and get better clarity and detail.

What are your dusk colors like with that?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

What are your dusk colors like with that?

Comparable to my computer monitor. I've only ever used FSX with the HDTV (I'm a relative newcomer to FSX) so I can't say it's as good as a smaller monitor. But when I view screenshots I took on my regular PC, they look more or less the same.

I have the HDTV set in Game mode and I did some 'tuning' using the NVidia control manager (?) to set brightness, contrast, gamma and vibrance to suite me.

Please help.

I have tried to post threads but no replies. I am a very keen FSX player and unfortunately it's as close as I can get to aviation now due to cancer which at 37 old hurts a little.

So I decided that computers and FSX would be the thing so I built a new computer last week, or had it put together and went to get a monitor. Well, I still have no monitor as I purely scared to buy one or 3 as I am unaware of what to get.

My system:

Asus extreme 5

16 Gb ram

2 x SSD's one just for FSX

EVGA Titan Black Super Clocked

I4770 not yet overclocked. 

My intention was 3 x 27 inch monitors for slight angling of 2 for VC feel. Now I am thinking one big monitor, maybe 4K.

I looked at Asus and Dells 2560x1440 but the rate of 5 to 8ms had me worried.

Do I go 1080 or 1440?

Will the titan and CPU cope with 3 x 27inch 1440 res. I do run PMDG gear and do not max all out but do enjoy some intense scenery.

How about one big 32 inch something?

I will love and appreciate any suggestions. I still have not powered up my computer yet as I gave my old monitor to my son. Very hard to find any good info here in Australia.

Thanking you

Andrew

I have tried to post threads but no replies. I am a very keen FSX player and unfortunately it's as close as I can get to aviation now due to cancer which at 37 old hurts a little.

Hi Andrew,

I used to run 3 monitors but now I run one 42" HDTV.  This makes everything on the screen 'life-sized'...cockpit, gauges, the earth outside, etc.  If you have an HDTV you can try it on before making a purchase, then it might give you some ideas.  I also think my framerates went up, having less pixels and area to constantly render.  I have some Dell monitors and they are extremely good (I think they're 1920x1080) but they're on another PC.

Best wishes,

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Frankly, a 1920x1080 27" monitor is a great way to start... and that way you can use the monitor for regular web work etc as well.

Asus or Samsung - 60 Hz will do the job nicely... if you read higher up in this thread, you'll see specific recommendations.  For what it is worth, I have a Samsung monitor, but that was because of local availability.

Bert

60 Hz will do the job nicely

Does 120 Hz get you any improvement?  Just askin.

Gregg Seipp

Three months ago I got myself an Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 LPS monitor.

Some specs and reviews here:

http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/PB278Q/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PB278Q-Widescreen-Multimedia-2560x1440-DisplayPort/dp/B009668YPM

http://www.engadget.com/products/asus/pb278q/

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/asus-pb278q-led-monitor-27/

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_pb278q.htm

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/monitors/1295140/asus-pb278q

I was upgrading from a seven year old Dell 2707WFP 27" 1920x1200 display.

I've been really happy with this monitor. The 2560x1440 native res makes everything, including all my flight sims look noticeably better than on the older 1920x1200 display. I have it hooked up to a GTX780Ti so performance at the higher resolution isn't an issue. Straight out of the box the default settings were too bright and harsh, but after spending some time to properly calibrate the monitor it looks great.

When I was looking for a new monitor a few people were recommending I go for one of the cheap unbranded UHD monitors available from Korea on Ebay. These definitely look very tempting, especially given the price can be a LOT cheaper than same res/spec branded monitors. From what I've read the reason these displays are so cheap is because the panels were rejected by the quality control of the branded manufacturers and the units produced don't have a great build quality, and buying one of these monitors is possibly a bit of a gamble. I decided to spend the extra money to get a branded monitor which I know the panel has passed quality control, the build quality is better and most importantly has a local warranty.