Sign in to follow this  
Jetblst

Airline Callsigns - FSUIPC can help Radar Contact recognize them...

Want Radar Contact to recognize Airline Callsigns instead of simply calling airline aircraft by their respective N numbers? Here is what I did. Thanks to Pete Dowson over at FSUIPC for patiently pointing me in the right direction. You can find this on Page 7 Advanced Users Guide. For convenience, here it is...

Before you edit, change, move, etc your FSUPIC.INI file ALWAYS make a copy of it first!

Here are the changes you should make to FSUIPC.INI file that will enable not only Airline Callsigns but a few other facilities too. So instead of Boeing 7358K, you will now hear United Flight 4532 or Horizon Air 1232 etc.

For instance, if you have experience flying in a typical traffic pattern performing closed traffic, a lot of Real World controllers will simply call you by.. "Cessna 56B" Instead of "N4556B". Something I had never heard before I made this change.

TCASid:

FSUIPC supplies data on the additional AI aircraft flying in the neighbourhood, for external TCAS or mapping programs to display. Normally such aircraft are identified by Airline and Flight number, if there is one, otherwise by the Tail number. However, other types of identification string can be chosen instead. In particular, the optional labels placed on the aircraft by FS in the scenery view only shows tail numbers, so if you want to match them up you’d want to set this parameter to "Tail". The utility "TrafficLook" can show these differences in its display.

The full list of options here is:

Flight           for airline+flight, or tail number, as available (default)

Tail               for tail numbers only 7

Type             for the "ATC type", generally only the Make

Title              from the aircraft title (in the .CFG file), truncated to 17 characters

Type+           for the type as above, truncated if necessary, plus the last 3 characters of the tail number

Model          for the model description

TCASrange:

Sets the maximum range at which AI aircraft will be added to the tables for external TCAS applications. This defaults to 40 nm. A value of 0 turns off the limit altogether.

FixedTCASoptions=Yes

This can be added by the User if the above settings are to remain locked, unchangeable except by editing here, in the INI file.

For Example:

[General]

TCASid=Flight

TCASid=Type+ <- Not found in my original FSUIPC.INI, however it works well when added.

TCASrange=40

FixedTCASoptions=YES

So what I simply did was change the lines in the [General] section of the FSUIPC.INI. In the .INI file you will see the TCASid=Flight line, as well as the TCASrange=40 line, along with MANY other commands within the [General] section. These lines will be a little more than half way down.

I simply added the FixedTCASoptions=YES to my FSUIPC.INI file, and it has the outcome I was desiring to have. Now RADAR CONTACT uses proper Airline Callsigns instead of simply using N numbers on many occasions. I also have the TYPE+. This is the line that allows what is described above where RW controllers will simply state "Cessna 56B" Instead of "N4556B" instead of the entire lengthly Nnumber.

I tested this on FSX Acceleration, Windows 7, with both FSXATC as well as Radar Contact 4. Works great, your mileage may vary.

The only thing I DID NOT TEST was if this works without a paid subscription.

Respectfully,

Jet

One last thing I forgot to mention in the above post.  Unless you are using some form of traffic progam, freeware or payware, with FSX/FS9, you wont hear any airline callsigns.  Except of course for the stock airlines that come with MS Flight Sim.

Respectfully,

Jet

I'm going to try this tonight with FS2040 and FSHotSFX which needs the TCASid to be Type+ in order for the AI sounds to work properly. This will allow RC4 and FSHotSFX to work together nicely.

A great find, Jet. Thanks!

Once you see these lines in the FSUIPC.INI file, under [General], you'll see that there is only the TCASid=Flight.

The TCASid=Type+ I added to try it out the other day and it works well.  You can add any one or combination of

Flight           for airline+flight, or tail number, as available (default)

Tail               for tail numbers only 7

Type             for the "ATC type", generally only the Make

Title              from the aircraft title (in the .CFG file), truncated to 17 characters

Type+           for the type as above, truncated if necessary, plus the last 3 characters of the tail number

Model          for the model description

Then if you want to "lock" them down to always function until you edit FSUIPC.INI again, simply use the

FixedTCASoptions=YES

Line in your FSUIPC.INI file.  I would place that line directly below your whichever of the above you choose.

If you do not have a registered copy of FSUIPC then you need to get that first for this to work. 

You can get your copy here if you do not have it.

http://secure.simmarket.com/pete-dowson-fsuipc4.phtml

I recommend highly you go here as well,

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

http://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-fsuipc-support-pete-dowson-modules/

Respectfully,

Jet

Hi dcrcbc227!

First a couple of questions.

Do you have the paid for version of FSUIPC? In other words did you download or purchase the key to unlock FSUIPC? If not I'd recommend that you do. I waited for a couple of years before I did. Mistake. What you can do with FSUIPC is amazing. IF you do not have the paid for version I don't think this post will be of any help.

Are you comfortable with manipulating .ini files or other files like that within FSX/FS9? If not, it's not a problem you just really need to make a copy of any files you are wishing to change first. I didn't do that once. And, I repeat. Once. If you make backup copies of files you wish to change you can hardly mess things up.

Let's start there and let me know.

Respectfully,

Jet