Sign in to follow this  
foibles

Reinstalling FSX - perplexing behavior

After rebuilding my computer, I attempted to reinstall my copy of FSX Gold (in other words, Deluxe + Acceleration). I had previously reinstalled it a few times as I was making hardware changes and doing benchmarking. Now, after installing the Deluxe part but before attempting to install the Acceleration files, I tried to reactivate the software over the internet. I got an error message that said I had exceeded the allowed number of activations! I was given the option to try to call Microsoft's automated activation support line and enter a long id number that was displayed on the message screen.

I called the automated support line, entered the id number, and was asked something along the lines of How many times have you installed this software on Windows Vista? (I don't remember the exact wording). I was flabbergasted because I had only bought the software a few months ago and haven't used a Vista computer in 5+ years. The automated line rejected my attempt to reactivate the software.

This was on the weekend, so I figured I couldn't do anything else until Monday, when I would be able to call and try to speak to a live Microsoft agent (only available for this Mon - Fri). Meanwhile I completely uninstalled the FSX files.

On Monday, I then reinstalled the FSX Deluxe files and carefully, this time, read the license agreement, which says

8. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER DEVICE. You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

I figured that with that language, there should be no reason for Microsoft to not reactivate the software since it is for my own use and for use on only one device at a time.

Armed with that info, I prepared to do battle with the agent. I clicked on Activate Now, expecting to get the same error message I had gotten before, which I would need to tell the agent about, but this time the internet activation went through without a hitch! :blink: #####?

Vic