Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

17APR13 - Upcoming FANCON'13: Give me your thoughts?

One of the biggest issues our hobby faces, in my opinion, is the direction Microsoft will be taking the next version of Windows. As I read the forums, a number of individuals are having issues with Win 8.

As Microsoft moves more towards a tablet environment with Windows 9 (or what ever they will call it), will they "break" FSX because of changes to the OS?

Also, will Rob ever enter his T-6 (assuming he still has it) into the Reno Air Races again now that he has moved? BTW - he had another pilot fly it during the races. I've been going to these races for years, and managed to have several chats with him a number of years ago when I visited the pits.

Bill Clark

I'm running my FSX with the NGX and the J41 on Win8 and I'm experiencing almost no issues. Sure, from time to time a CDT may occur but that's normal for FSX I guess. The NGX runns great on Win8 and since the 777 and 747 will use the same "code", they'll run great on Win8 aswell.

Bill-

I'm sorry to have missed you last year- it was always nice when you'd stop by the pit during race week.

We retired Grace8 from air racing at the conclusion of the 2011 races.  Only part of that decision was related to our move back to Virginia- the larger issue was simply the risk/reward vs. liability equation.

Jimmy Leeward was a friend- and that gave us a front row seat for what happened after his accident in 2011.  In spite of the fact that we carried a tremendous amount of insurance on the airplane, and the fact that it was owned by a holding company- it became obvious that the current state of liability awards made it impractical to expect any protection in the event of the unthinkable.

So Grace8 has moved here to VA with the rest of the family...  I anticipate visiting the races this year as a non-participant- but our racing days are through.

Rob,

I've been going to these races for 30 years, I even made it the year 9/11 occurred. Nobody flew, but the pilots and crews made the best of it as everyone hung around the pits for a long time (this was Friday evening – FAA decision not to race had already been made)......gave me a chance to meet my favorite pilots and important crew chiefs personally. Everybody was extremely friendly.

Sorry for your loss of a close personal friend, I always enjoyed watching Jimmy race over the years. I got the news of the tragedy Friday evening while having dinner in Reno. I'm glad I wasn't there to witness the horror.

It makes perfect sense to get out of racing, and it appears you are not alone in making this type of decision from following racing forums. Also, without one of the military Demonstration teams there, and it is probably unlikely the military will even ferry, or fly any A/C demos, could hurt turnout. Because of this, the RARA’s financial wellbeing in 2013 may be negatively affected. However, I do plan on going again this year.

This is my first year to attend a FANCON activity…..hope to catch you next week!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

I'd like to know when dabbling in politics if you had an insiders look at Area 51 and if so were you able to recruit any non-human species onto the development team to use their sophisticated knowledge in spacecraft design to implement in pushing the fsx boundaries for the upcoming 777?

OHHH SH!T!  I think your onto something there

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I'm running my FSX with the NGX and the J41 on Win8 and I'm experiencing almost no issues. Sure, from time to time a CDT may occur but that's normal for FSX I guess. The NGX runns great on Win8 and since the 777 and 747 will use the same "code", they'll run great on Win8 aswell.

It's been mixed results - we do have people writing in with stability problems and stuff like that that seem to be related at the very least to drivers in Win8 if not the OS itself. When I tried it myself I had CTDs and severe sound stuttering in FSX. We'll reevaluate it when 8.1 or 8 SP1 (whatever they call it) comes out.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

are the speeches and presentations, live stream? Is there some sort of updates thread as things happen?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

are the speeches and presentations, live stream? Is there some sort of updates thread as things happen?

I would love to be able to access a live feed of the event, heck I'd even pay a small fee for the opportunity to "virtually" attend the conference as long as HD streaming was available.

Joseph Chamberlain

FAA ADX

Regarding live stream, ultimately they will be yes. We are exploring various capabilities with the equipment we have--but being stubborn as I am, I want all of you to be able to see this live. Look at the front page in the next few days for an official link/page to tune in.

It's been mixed results - we do have people writing in with stability problems and stuff like that that seem to be related at the very least to drivers in Win8 if not the OS itself. When I tried it myself I had CTDs and severe sound stuttering in FSX. We'll reevaluate it when 8.1 or 8 SP1 (whatever they call it) comes out.

Well, when I freshly installed my FSX and the NGX on Win8 I was experiencing a lot of CTD's. It was quite frustrating at first. But! After a couple of days all the CTD's disapeared magically. I guess because I tweaked the fsx.cfg a little bit. However, now it is running very stable and in my opinion even better than on Win7. But that's just my personal view without having any background knowledge of sytems, code, resource usage etc...

Regarding live stream, ultimately they will be yes. We are exploring various capabilities with the equipment we have--but being stubborn as I am, I want all of you to be able to see this live. Look at the front page in the next few days for an official link/page to tune in.

Nice! Good to know.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

We may not have the bandwidth to do that.

Seriously though Robert,

Can you provide said recepie for the coffee cake as I wouldn't mind trying it out at some point.

Cheers,

Tim

Will there be specific times when the live stream will be live, Just so that us out here in Europe know when to expect it?

Awesome to know Chance! "Everybody turn off your iPhone... or Galaxy S4's if you're on the darkside"  :lol:  B)

We may not have the bandwidth to do that.

Tell Robert to bring a WiFi equipped NGX and stick it outside so you do have bandwidth.

"Everybody turn off your iPhone... or Galaxy S4's if you're on the darkside" :lol: B)

I'm an iPhone guy, but the Galaxy S4 as some really nice features in it, I would consider buying one just because. lets hope Apple integrate those sort of features in the upcoming iPhone!