Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 - How to get it started.

A little yes, thanks. When setting up the FMS do you enter a cruise altitude, and if so where?

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thats what I tried, Propeller starts moving but keeps slow - that's it.

Did you turn on the APU? The ground power doesn't generate enough power to start the engines, therefor you need to start the APU in order to start the engines.

As tumtiddle has said above...

Wrong. IRL the APU is not needed. Neither is the bleed air. The Q400 has electric starters. GPU is sufficient for start considering you are using the right voltage/current.

read the manuel!!!!

thanks for you input but it isn't in the manual, hence my question.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Wrong. IRL the APU is not needed. Neither is the bleed air. The Q400 has electric starters. GPU is sufficient for start considering you are using the right voltage/current.

My bad :P

All good :)....its all a learning experience for all of us. Im sure theres things i dont know about the bird still. I keep getting activation error so i hope i can get it going soon!!

The default tutorial has some serious screw ups in the FMS setting up area. I have no idea how to use this FMS, so I can't tweak my route, like I would know how to do in a B737NG, to fix this situation. Hope the advanced tutorial is done using the latest NavData

Alexis Mefano

Alec, on 21 Apr 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

The default tutorial has some serious screw ups in the FMS setting up area. I have no idea how to use this FMS, so I can't tweak my route, like I would know how to do in a B737NG, to fix this situation. Hope the advanced tutorial is done using the latest NavData

while you are waiting for the advanced tutorial you might also want to have a look at the systems manual. on page 104-125 or so it describes operation of the FMS in great detail. if you've used other FMS before it's basically the same thing in principle (entering and editing a list of nav points)... just the way you select and assign points looks a little different.

cheers-

andy crosby

After reading the Forum comments, I think I'll just wait awhile on this one.

Jack

while you are waiting for the advanced tutorial you might also want to have a look at the systems manual. on page 104-125 or so it describes operation of the FMS in great detail. if you've used other FMS before it's basically the same thing in principle (entering and editing a list of nav points)... just the way you select and assign points looks a little different.

cheers-

andy crosby

Yeah I will do that! Need to learn how to fly this bird, so different from the Boeings!

Jack

The only issue I think would prevent one from buying this bird right now is Activation Issue, which I had no problem at all, other than that everything is running perfectly! It's an amazing simulation, believe me.

Alexis Mefano

We need a tutorial written by a real Pilot ASAP! This bird without proper documention is not even half as fun! Please let us have it soon, I have no idea how to program that FMC =p

The FMC on this airplane in 90% about the Flight Plan. There isn't actually that much else that you program in addition to the Flight Plan.

You can program your VNAV values, but aside from that, there isn't pages of initialization and performance to be set up, as there is in eg... NGX or A320.

I'd be interested in a more detailed FMS tutorial and how the auto flight system interacts with the FMS. I have somehow managed to get LNAV hooked up but VNAV is escaping me so far - still having fun though :)

Beware that VNAV in this aircraft is for descent only so if you're attempting to engage VNAV after take-off (in the climb), that's why it won't be working.

Most Q400 airline sops, use LNAV / HDG (depending on the departure), along with IAS (and ALT SEL armed) for the climb.

VNAV in this aircraft is to help calc/manage your descent profile.

Jack

Did you miss the literally hundreds of positive comments, and astonishment at how much this aircraft shifts the bar up?

And the end of the day, you sit this one out, only you lose out; no-one else. :smile:

No problem. I want people to enjoy flying this on their sim as I did the last 5 years in real life. 

The tutorial was just about finished when I left for a trip, with just some spelling/graphic placement issues needed fixing. When I come back (tonight, red-eye) I'll be giving it my full attention over the next few days.

It would be great if you could make a YouTube video that follows along with the tutorial.  That would be really special for this great sim.  I've never seen it done before.

Jack

You loose!  :vava: 

I can just program a basic route into the FMC, and then fly manually or using LNAV and vertical speed. Since I don't get VNAV or how to set TOD, I just use the charts and quick calculations in my head on when I need to descend. Still really enjoying this airplane, a dream to fly. So much fun, and with weather radar, I know what's ahead of me!

It would be great if you could make a YouTube video that follows along with the tutorial.  That would be really special for this great sim.  I've never seen it done before.

You loose!  :vava: 

You'd really want to listen to me drone on for an hour? Haven't I put Q400 FO's through enough?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Who jumps directly in modern airliners will indeed find Dash-8 difficult.. First you gotta know how basic aircraft flies and what it takes to fly without Vnav,Lnav..There are other lot of things involved

I have seen many who fly NGXs on simulators and are unable to fly basic Cessna within sim and real life..

They are used to  Vnav and Lnav  .. and later the computer doing the job!

1y329d.jpg