Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 - How to get it started.

You'd really want to listen to me drone on for an hour? Haven't I put Q400 FO's through enough?

Yes.  I think that would  make a unique tutorial that would be used by many to fly this aircraft for years.

PDF. tutorial plus a YouTube video, to follow along with, plus working with it, hands-on in FSX.  What a learning combo!

I just finished a short flight from KSEA to CYVR.  I really love this Dash8. :Applause:

Who jumps directly in modern airliners will indeed find Dash-8 difficult.. First you gotta know how basic aircraft flies and what it takes to fly without Vnav,Lnav..There are other lot of things involved

I have seen many who fly NGXs on simulators and are unable to fly basic Cessna within sim and real life..

They are used to  Vnav and Lnav  .. and later the computer doing the job!

Not only Simmers! I think the following video should be made mandatory to all pilots, both Real world and simmers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kREPMzMLk

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Anyone know why I'm getting a constant beeping noise when increasing throttles on my takeoff roll? I have flaps at 10, trim in the white line, following the checklist okay. It goes away once I takeoff. Suggestions?

Hmm and climbing now I get a red Cabin Pressure warning. Never had this before. I have my packs and bleeds set okay I think.

I can just program a basic route into the FMC, and then fly manually or using LNAV and vertical speed. Since I don't get VNAV or how to set TOD, I just use the charts and quick calculations in my head on when I need to descend. Still really enjoying this airplane, a dream to fly. So much fun, and with weather radar, I know what's ahead of me!

Calculating TOD via VNAV works perfect here. Just pick i forward waypoint close to approach with a defined altitude in the flightplan, set a desired decent rate and its done.

Did you switch the spoilers to flight?

Yep spoilers are in flight. No warnings were on the panel. I'm stumped. But something is wrong with the pressurization now that I'm in flight... so maybe that was it.

Anyone know why I'm getting a constant beeping noise when increasing throttles on my takeoff roll? I have flaps at 10, trim in the white line, following the checklist okay. It goes away once I takeoff. Suggestions?

Hmm and climbing now I get a red Cabin Pressure warning. Never had this before. I have my packs and bleeds set okay I think.

The beeping is the takeoff configuration warning:

Check the following

Parking Brakes released

Condition Levers Max

Trim in the white band

spoilers not up (they automatically come down with power levers above Flight Idle +12º angle

Flaps set less than 5º 

Also- if you make a large wind correction with your ailerons on takeoff and the spoilers pop up (because remember- they are also used to aid the ailerons), you'll get a beeping. 

For takeoff: use the tiller for directional control to about 20-30kts, then transition to the rudder. 

Yep spoilers are in flight. No warnings were on the panel. I'm stumped. But something is wrong with the pressurization now that I'm in flight... so maybe that was it.

Hmmm... check to make sure the doors are close. I know, I know, obvious thing right? I've had it happen using EZDOK where I closed the doors using CTRL+E, then pressed 1 for my default cockpit view on EZDOK- that 1-press opened the doors again.

One funny thing about the dash 8 warning system. When the red/yellow caution warning lights are blinking, and you get a NEW warning (such as a door open, you won't get a master chime again.

Ok so I just downloaded FRAPS. is this what one uses to record a tutorial?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Brandon,

Yes FRAPS is what I use, although I have seen some other programs which are good for instructional videos.  I'll see if I can find the name and possibly look in to how good it is.  Be aware that FRAPS does create large files (several gigs worth).  which then have to be compressed by a video editing program (Vegas, Adobe Premier, etc.)

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Not only Simmers! I think the following video should be made mandatory to all pilots, both Real world and simmers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kREPMzMLk

Thats a good video. I think the problem is still proliferant today with RW pilots around the world. Knowledge is good about being cognoscente of it, but simulator training that is required i think every 6 months would or should keep pilots sharp. As for us guys who are simmers, I noticed things like this for the Dash 8 Q400 where we are lost because of ngx flying. Where is VNAV, where is the altitude arc, etc etc. Im guilty of it too. These aircraft keeps piloting skills sharp. If anything we should be thankful for a release like this so that we dont become so complacent when flying highly automated aircraft like the md11 or ngx and 777. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Thats a good video. I think the problem is still proliferant today with RW pilots around the world. Knowledge is good about being cognoscente of it, but simulator training that is required i think every 6 months would or should keep pilots sharp. As for us guys who are simmers, I noticed things like this for the Dash 8 Q400 where we are lost because of ngx flying. Where is VNAV, where is the altitude arc, etc etc. Im guilty of it too. These aircraft keeps piloting skills sharp. If anything we should be thankful for a release like this so that we dont become so complacent when flying highly automated aircraft like the md11 or ngx and 777. 

I like and agree with the analogy .

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I don't know about everyone else but I am loving the fact that this thing is a handful, makes you think, and I can't just press buttons and be in the air, along the route, and on the ground.

IDK, maybe that is why I love the JS4100 also. I like being in control!

Good job on this one.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

I think the culprit for the beeping while taking off is because my condition levers werent max. I thought setting them at the 1st detent allows for a derated takeoff? Still unsure why I was getting pressurization errors. About to start up my first flight of the day, hope it goes well.

I think the culprit for the beeping while taking off is because my condition levers werent max. I thought setting them at the 1st detent allows for a derated takeoff? Still unsure why I was getting pressurization errors. About to start up my first flight of the day, hope it goes well.

the first detent is cruise power, 2nd is climb/approach power, max is takeoff.

the derate comes from pushing the throttle to 'rating' setting and the FADEC takes care of the rest. there is a blue tic on the torque meter or you can just look at the throttle quadrant there's a mark there also. i think you can set different derates in the fmc but i dont know i havent really tried that yet.

cheers-

andy crosby