Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Tech Question (OT)

Got a glitch with one of my laptops and could do with some help if you'd be so kind... 

Don't know how it happened but clicking on a web link no longer takes me via my web brouser, but MS Word instead.  I've tried the usual simple fix, but without success.  Going through the 'open with' and changing the default prog simply doesn't work.

I've also tried uninstalling Word, but then I simply cannot open them at all.  I'm reasonably PC savvy, but this has had me scratching my head for weeks!  I'm guessing it MAY have been a virus type thing, but don't know for sure.

ta!

Hi Phil

Seems like somewhere along the line, a web page or document was opened via MS Word. Don't quite know which browser you are using, but have you tried un-installing it, then re-installing it and let it then ask you if you want it to be your default browser? Maybe that would work.

I'm thinking that your home page has been hijacked.  Try a different browser.  Which one are you using?

Sounds like your default browser setting got changed to MS Word! I don't know which browser you are using, but I'm sure there is a similar setting. If Firefox go to options/advanced-System defaults Click on Always check if Firefox (or the browser you use) is the default browser on startup. The next time you enter that browser if it is not set as default, it will give you the option to make it the default.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

What version of windows are you running on that laptop?

On my Win 7 machine, I can click on Start and select "Default Programs" just below "Devices and Printers".

Then click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

Then scroll down to .htm and .html, double click on each and switch to the desired application.

That's just it though...  It's Win7 and according the 'Set Associations' window, then Firefox is set to open those.  Trouble is it doesn't ;-)

Go back to default porgrams and click on ''Set program access and computer defaults'' and make sure 'windows' and 'custom' options are set to use IE of some kind.

Does the URL you are clicking on end in .html or .htm?

Neither, I'm talking about hyperlinks.  Like a link embeded in a document or the like

The link has a URL and it must point to a resource that usually has an extension somewhere in the URL. the resource may also return a file with an extension in the response message. Lastly, the response message may specify the content type in the response.

is the URL sensitive, can you share it?

The link has a URL and it must point to a resource that usually has an extension somewhere in the URL. the resource may also return a file with an extension in the response message. Lastly, the response message may specify the content type in the response.

is the URL sensitive, can you share it?

Take for example, this very post:  If I copy the text in the address bar, this what I get: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/405686-tech-question-ot/

Inserting that text into any kind of file or email, usually creates a link yes?

Well, if I then click on that link on the laptop concerned, it open the website in MS Word!

Just to be 100% clear, you have clicked this same link you just posted above and it opens Word?

I'll see if I can figure this one out... Interesting.

Last guess at this point... If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the "Associate a file type or protocol..." window can you confirm that HTTP, HTTPS (under protocols) are both set to your desired browser?