Sign in to follow this  
anthony31

[RESOLVED] Click to return to top of this AVSIM page

Please, how do I make this popup go away?

For those who don't know what I am talking about, if you scroll down any AVSIM page a popup appears in the bottom centre of your browser with "Click to return to top of this AVSIM page" and no way to turn it off. God damn I hate these overlaying popups!

www.antsairplanes.com

Thanks Brian although the suggested solution is not much better (switching to AVSIM mobile format)

I just so hate floating things on my webpages. Maybe AVSIM will realise that clutter is never a good thing.

www.antsairplanes.com

Thanks Brian although the suggested solution is not much better (switching to AVSIM mobile format)

I just so hate floating things on my webpages. Maybe AVSIM will realise that clutter is never a good thing.

It is not "floating". It is very much anchored to the bottom of the browser screen and that is where it stays.

It is not "floating". It is very much anchored to the bottom of the browser screen and that is where it stays.

Much a like a boat can be firmly anchored and yet float on the water the "Click to return.." thing floats above the page beneath.

Still hate them.

www.antsairplanes.com

I like it.Simple and rather useful, I don't find obtrusive either .What I don't like is the avsim site always opens in mobile mode on my cheap (but most cheerful) tablet.

PS If this cannot be resolved ,then you could perhaps move the "goto main site" link from the bottom of the page to the top 'or perhaps make that link a floating one as well.

Cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I like it.Simple and rather useful, I don't find obtrusive either .What I don't like is the avsim site always opens in mobile mode on my cheap (but most cheerful) tablet.

PS If this cannot be resolved ,then you could perhaps move the "goto main site" link from the bottom of the page to the top 'or perhaps make that link a floating one as well.

Cheers Andy

While in Mobile mode, if you go to the bottom of the screen, you will see this:

Click on the FULL VERSION and you should be back in the AVSIM Theme mode.

Please, how do I make this popup go away?

For those who don't know what I am talking about, if you scroll down any AVSIM page a popup appears in the bottom centre of your browser with "Click to return to top of this AVSIM page" and no way to turn it off. God damn I hate these overlaying popups!

Do not despair, my friend. Like you, I detest these floating (anchored, if you wish) navigation elements with a passion, not so much because of their floaty nature per se, but for their tendency to impede functionality rather than adding to it. Case in point: in its current form, this "Click to return to the top of this AVSIM page" bar obscures the very content that brings us to AVSIM in the first place: the text in forum posts, articles, everything. When form takes precedence over function, it's time to take matters into your own hands.

Fortunately, in dark times like these, it's Greasemonkey to the rescue! In case you don't know, Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that lets you customise web pages in any way you see fit. It does this by means of user-installed scripts that dynamically alter the web page's content at load time.

So, without further ado, I present you the "AVSIM navbar tamer", that will curtail this foul beast by:

• changing the text to a simple "Back to top",
  • making the bar as narrow as possible,
  • changing the position from centred to right-aligned, thus evicting the element from the forum's text area.
You can view and download the script from userscripts.org: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/166235. Obviously you can and should inspect the source code before installing it, to ascertain that no shenanigans are going on (we are of the devious kind, after all).

Here's an example of the AVSIM navbar tamer in action.

Before:

After:

Now, if you think this doesn't go far enough and you still feel the urge to slay the offending cretin altogether, you could just as easily rip it out altogether using only two lines of Greasemonkey script code. I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader, though.

Good luck!

So, without further ado, I present you the "AVSIM navbar tamer", that will curtail this foul beast by:

Thank you very much for this. That floating bar irritated me no end and yet I realized it was a very trivial thing to get upset about.

So thank you again

Rick Grant

YYC