Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

This should run FSX with little to no tweaking, correct?

Just thought I'd ask about these specs I saw on Dell's website today:

XPS 8500:

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (up to 3.90 GHz)

Windows® 7 Professional, 64Bit

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs

AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5

1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s (I'll actually have FSX on another 1TB hard drive)

I was waiting for the day one could buy a machine for $800 that doesn't need to be overclocked to hell and with a few modifications in the FSX.cfg file one could be up and running like what's possible with FS9. Will the specs above finally accomplish this?

Thanks in advance to all those that offer some insight here.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hi,

Running like what's possible with Fs9. 

Not sure you can with this rig.

Anyway ,I'd prefer a K processor. Why not a 3750?

you must buy a 3770k, and you will need to overclock it,  fairly easy , and you need a cooler ,   and you will need to  modified  your fsx.cfg  that's  very easy .

that done your fps will be a constant 30 locked

you will need to OC to get the best from FSX, all sets to max, with out OC you wont. Also the tweaks are needed speacially if you use third party aircraft like PMDG

Intel cards are much better with FSX than AMD. Also like the above said, u will need a k processor and at least some overclock

In other words, whatever you get, you'll be happily tweaking.

Mario Di Lauro

Intel cards are much better with FSX than AMD. Also like the above said, u will need a k processor and at least some overclock

What the heck is a 'K' processor and does dell offer this? Also can I get away with not having to overclock the CPU is I run all sliders at 75%? I don't need all scenery sliders set to full to get decent visuals from FSX so is that acceptable? Still needing to overclock a PC's CPU in 2013 for FSX when it was released in 2006 is insane, surely there a good compromise somewhere.

In other words, whatever you get, you'll be happily tweaking.

Wow...

I guess it's time for this thread to go into the hardware forum. I just read that at the main menu for this forum which in my haist to get input before I buy I posted here. I'm amazed at what's needed to get FSX up and running at this point.

FS2020 

K processor ie. i7 3770K as opposed to a i7 3770.

In all honesty, I think that without o.c you wouldn't get the smoothness your looking for with sliders even at 75%. Like I said, you would be looking for an NVIDIA card rather than the AMD as well as K processor to allow good o.c.

The fact that the game was released in 2006 is exactly the reason why you still need powerful CPUs to run it. Its code is almost ancient and obviously, being out of active development, it's not being updated. Hence why you will always need a powerful and Overclocked CPU to run it *well* as you would have needed in its release days

Wow...

Yep, it's amazing but it's true. You can NOT simply install FSX and run it and get the best out of it. You HAVE to tweak. However, with the latest greatest hardware you don't need to tweak very much. In fact, simply adding the famous Bufferpools tweak (@ zero) does the trick for me. I have some 3 of 4 other changes to my cfg but those are mainly about changed settings and features, not actual performance tweaks.

Whenever I reinstall FSX or get a new computer, I simply copy those tweaks from a textfile into the cfg and I am done. Only takes a minute or so. So having to tweak doesn't mean you actually have to spend hours fooling around. So there IS an advantage in getting the latest greatest hardware but you still have to at least add a tweak or two to get the most out of it.

The fact that the game was released in 2006 is exactly the reason why you still need powerful CPUs to run it. Its code is almost ancient and obviously, being out of active development, it's not being updated. Hence why you will always need a powerful and Overclocked CPU to run it *well* as you would have needed in its release days

This is the best explanation/excuse I've yet heard about FSX in all these years. The sim wouldn't run well years ago when it was released and has never ran right since. If we go by this logic every previous version of FS shouldn't run well at this point FS9 included. Outside of FS2000 all versions of Flight Simulator actually ran better as hardware advanced hence the excuse put forth by many in the past "Flight Simulator is designed for future hardware". FSX in it's truest definition since release is 'bloatware' plain and simple. Aces wanted to do a better job but wasn't able to thanks to Ballmer and his crew... The problem now is it's the only game in town for the latest and greatest in our hobby. So I'm left with further investigation as to what I'm going to get for this sim but please don't sugar coat this mess just be real about it.

FS2020 

Just thought I'd ask about these specs I saw on Dell's website today:

XPS 8500:

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (up to 3.90 GHz)

Windows® 7 Professional, 64Bit

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs

AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5

1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s (I'll actually have FSX on another 1TB hard drive)

I was waiting for the day one could buy a machine for $800 that doesn't need to be overclocked to hell and with a few modifications in the FSX.cfg file one could be up and running like what's possible with FS9. Will the specs above finally accomplish this?

Thanks in advance to all those that offer some insight here.

Like Jeroen already says, you will need just a few tweaks to get the best of FSX. And this days you don't need to spend so much time to set and tweak fsx, becouse we have some very nice guides. I recommend Word Not Allowed's guide for fsx performance tuning and hardware choice.

But before that, you need a good PC, well optimized windows 7 64bit, and FSX installed in the right way. For this, you have a very nice guide by Nick N about windows 7 optimization and FSX instalation(atention to service packs and SDK!).

Using this guides i have a very smooth fsx with locked 30fps most of time, with tons of addons(PMDG Jets, Maddog, REX, AS2012, ORBX...Well, it might be time saving to say which fsx addons i don't have...:)) )

K series CPU's are important becouse of their overclocking capability + NVIDIA graphic card(560ti will do the job, but for best performance with HD clouds etc - go for at least GTX580)

And you can allways ask here for help with settings and tuning fsx :)

And you can allways ask here for help with settings and tuning fsx :)

Thx...

Yep, it's amazing but it's true. You can NOT simply install FSX and run it and get the best out of it. You HAVE to tweak. However, with the latest greatest hardware you don't need to tweak very much. In fact, simply adding the famous Bufferpools tweak (@ zero) does the trick for me. I have some 3 of 4 other changes to my cfg but those are mainly about changed settings and features, not actual performance tweaks.

Whenever I reinstall FSX or get a new computer, I simply copy those tweaks from a textfile into the cfg and I am done. Only takes a minute or so. So having to tweak doesn't mean you actually have to spend hours fooling around. So there IS an advantage in getting the latest greatest hardware but you still have to at least add a tweak or two to get the most out of it.

Thx. This sounds a bit more hopeful. Did you have to overclock your PC?

FS2020 

Thx...

Thx. This sounds a bit more hopeful. Did you have to overclock your PC?

Sorry, yes... ^_^ Well, I didn't HAVE to but it would be a waste of money NOT to OC the CPU... When you can OC a CPU without too much trouble you'd be crazy (so to speak) if you didn't do so.

EDIT BTW I have a i5 2500K which runs at 3.3 out of the box and I have it running at 4.5 with a descent but not very expensive CPU cooler.

LOL at all the "K" comments. I have 4 Dell's no overlooking with GeForce cards and FSX/Xplane 10 run over 30 FPS all the time.

Unfortunately Dell is offering less and less customization on their computers in their XPS line. I bought a new dell a year ago and I wound up with an Alienware which is pretty much what you need if you truly want to customize it.

Even with my rig I needed to tweak plenty to get FSX to run really good with all the add on and 3rd party stuff and I still can't run it with all the sliders maxed out.