Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

A simple request

I don't normally make requests for functionality, etc in new or existing products from PMDG but this time I am going to make an exception. I personally would like to see a few things:

1. A functioning cockpit door. I'm not asking for the precise locking mechanisms to be simulated or any security features modelled - just a simple left mouse-click anywhere on the cockpit door and it swings open with a view of the forward galley. Just the visual of a door opening and closing. Easy!

2. I'd also like to see just the forward galley modelled with a curtain blocking the view down toward the rear of the aircraft to save polygons or whatever it is. Why do I ask for these two points? So that we virtual pilots can rise from our cockpit seat to do a pre-flight walk-around of the aircraft and then re-enter the cockpit prior to boarding the passengers. Also to allow us to marvel at the fantastic external model.

Not a terribly difficult request, I would think, but one that I am sure many other MSFS enthusiasts would enjoy seeing included in the 777, 747 V2 and as an update in the NGX so we could walk up and down those beautifully modelled air stairs.

Not a terribly difficult request,

Are you really sure about this?

1. A functioning cockpit door. I'm not asking for the precise locking mechanisms to be simulated or any security features modelled - just a simple left mouse-click anywhere on the cockpit door and it swings open with a view of the forward galley. Just the visual of a door opening and closing. Easy!

Nope.  They've stated over and over that they won't.  They've also stated why (which you've alluded to).  I doubt they'll change that stance - simplified or not.

2. I'd also like to see just the forward galley modelled with a curtain blocking the view down toward the rear of the aircraft to save polygons or whatever it is. Why do I ask for these two points? So that we virtual pilots can rise from our cockpit seat to do a pre-flight walk-around of the aircraft and then re-enter the cockpit prior to boarding the passengers. Also to allow us to marvel at the fantastic external model.

I really don't see the point.  At some point you're going to have to magically switch from your VC to your spot views in order to conduct the walkaround, so why not just make the unrealistic jump right from the flight deck?  Beyond that, what do you then say to people who simulate the more often used scenario where the aircraft is boarded through 2L, instead of 1L?  That would require much more of the cabin be modeled.

Kyle Rodgers

I would like to see reverse thrust modeled for the exterior views on the NGX.

It is modeled...

If you're trying to see it using Flight Sim's recorder feature, you're not going to.  That just replays the aircraft using slew, in its current state.  To see the advanced animations in a replay, you'd need a third party program like FSRecorder.

Kyle Rodgers

You do know the 777 is almost finished, right (-;

I see no point in your requests!

As Kyle said they have stated that they will not model an opening cockpit door for obvious reasons.

As for the cabin; they modelled it in the 744X it looks great, but I don't know how many long hauls I've done in that aircraft and left my seat to walk around the cabin (probably only once).

They're better off saving those polygons for some other interesting / useful eye candy.

Sorry, not happening on either count. We're already very very close to the animation and poly limits again with this like the NGX is - we're not going to add superfluous stuff like a galley and curtains. You can't get up out of the cockpit and do a walkaround like that anyway in FSX - the VC model and the external model are two different things - you wouldn't see the exterior of the plane when you got outside.

The agreement to not model anything involving the cockpit door is part of our aircraft access agreements with the carriers who help us out too - we weren't even allowed to take photos of the actual mechanisms and stuff.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Gents-

Correcting Ryan slightly:

We deliberately remove all functionality related to post 9/11/01 cockpit security enhancements and return them to their earlier condition.

We very carefully scrub from our models anything that might give you an idea how they work or how they are operated.

The reasons for doing that are obvious, and it just happens that this provides our partner airlines with a greater degree of trust in the fact that we know what we are doing when it comes to protecting their security.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

You can't get up out of the cockpit and do a walkaround like that anyway in FSX - the VC model and the external model are two different things - you wouldn't see the exterior of the plane when you got outside.

I hadn't even thought of that. Makes sense obviously, though. I guess we can do a walk around from an external view then using a third-party program, right?

Gents-

Correcting Ryan slightly:

We deliberately remove all functionality related to post 9/11/01 cockpit security enhancements and return them to their earlier condition.

We very carefully scrub from our models anything that might give you an idea how they work or how they are operated.

The reasons for doing that are obvious, and it just happens that this provides our partner airlines with a greater degree of trust in the fact that we know what we are doing when it comes to protecting their security.

All perfectly understandable. But why does that preclude an opening flightdeck door along pre 2001 lines? During preflight the door will be open. What harm is there to allow that animation with a static rendering of the entry area visible through the door.

All the external doors and hatches open without realistic controls. Why not the cockpit door?

ki9cAAb.jpg

Kevin-

You appear to be confusing two different topics:

1) We do not model the new cockpit doors for reasons related to security.

2) We do not model an opening cockpit door because that would require that we model the area visible aft of the cockpit door.  To do that would mean removing resources from the virtual cockpit, where we can make good use of them, and putting them outside the virtual cockpit where they are largely wasted.

As Ryan already pointed out- we are bumping up against some hard limits within FSX when it comes to poly use and part use in FSX... so we choose to use the resources we have for the primary purpose at hand:  Simulating the flight deck.

Don't confuse the two. 

2) We do not model an opening cockpit door because that would require that we model the area visible aft of the cockpit door. 

But where will the pogo stick go?  :P

Iain-

One of these days, we'll have to get a cockpit mount STC'd for it...

Iain-

One of these days, we'll have to get a cockpit mount STC'd for it...

Though I do hope the mighty pogo stick will still find its way onboard!

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Kevin-

You appear to be confusing two different topics:

1) We do not model the new cockpit doors for reasons related to security.

So if I understand you right, you're saying that you're showing "A" cockpit door from the pilot's perspective for the purpose of having a fairly accurate representation of the cockpit door, but not the one currently in use that would visualise any new security features that have been installed post 9/11? Is that right?

2) We do not model an opening cockpit door because that would require that we model the area visible aft of the cockpit door.  To do that would mean removing resources from the virtual cockpit, where we can make good use of them, and putting them outside the virtual cockpit where they are largely wasted.

Makes sense.

As Ryan already pointed out- we are bumping up against some hard limits within FSX when it comes to poly use and part use in FSX... so we choose to use the resources we have for the primary purpose at hand:  Simulating the flight deck.

Don't confuse the two. 

Robert, see above in red...