Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Steve Ballmer should step down former Exec. interview.

Why should he step down? Microsoft is a publicly traded company with a board of directors, they have to power to fire him (and they should).

He is as bad as Michael Eisner was to Disney, sometimes a CEO just doesn't get it.

Matthew Kane

You must have seen that video before lol, it's ancient!

Gets me laughing every time still  :lol:

ytzpilot, on 08 May 2013 - 5:33 PM, said:

Why should he step down? Microsoft is a publicly traded company with a board of directors, they have to power to fire him (and they should).

He is as bad as Michael Eisner was to Disney, sometimes a CEO just doesn't get it.

Why should they fire him?

Microsoft's revenues have been growing year on year since he took over the CEO position, their cash-in-hand is second only to Apple, and he's given investors back over 180 billion in dividends in the last decade.

Has he made mistakes? Of course he has. But then again, so has Steve Jobs. Anyone remember the Newton? Or when Jobs said "Nobody will ever buy a 7" tablet"?

Now I'm not defending Ballmer as he dropped the ball in a number of areas, mobile being his biggest mistake. And why on earth did he approve Windows 8 without a start button? :crazy:

The question is not whether he's a good CEO, the question is how quickly he responds to his customers and how he handles the mobile market going forward.

Anyone remember the Newton?

Steve jobs wasn't responsible for the Newton, that was John Skully's project. Steve killed that project first thing when he returned to Apple as an advisor, he hated it more then anything. As memory recalls Steve called it stupid and why do you need a stylus when you already have 10 of them on your fingers....LOL

Newton started after Steve was fired in 1985 and it was the first thing he killed on his return (grudge against Skully)

Microsoft's revenues have been growing year on year since he took over the CEO position, their cash-in-hand is second only to Apple, and he's given investors back over 180 billion in dividends in the last decade.

What they have lost is innovation and have just milking the cash cow so to speak. Products is what drives a company forward and MS continues to lose market share. They see that now as they will retool Windows 8.

Matthew Kane

Steve jobs wasn't responsible for the Newton, that was John Skully's project. Steve killed that project first thing when he returned to Apple as an advisor, he hated it more then anything. As memory recalls Steve called it stupid and why do you need a stylus when you already have 10 of them on your fingers....LOL

Newton started after Steve was fired in 1985 and it was the first thing he killed on his return (grudge against Skully)

What they have lost is innovation and have just milking the cash cow so to speak. Products is what drives a company forward and MS continues to lose market share. They see that now as they will retool Windows 8.

I remembered the the Newton was done by the Pepsi dude after I hit post so my bad.... :ph34r:

If by innovation, you're referring to the retail/consumer environment, I'm not sure Microsoft was ever really innovative. Microsoft core business has always been geared towards the enterprise, a market Apple still does not fully understand nor have they been able to make much of a dent in.

You must have seen that video before lol, it's ancient!

Gets me laughing every time still :lol:

I think I've seen it once before

Watched it a few times now lol

I looked at the time frame when Bill Gates fully stepped down in 2006 and Steve took over was almost the exact time Aces was shut down.  This along with the many other mis-steps within the company (Microsoft development tools not upgraded to 64bit yet their OS's have moved to 64bit next the shutting down of Silverlight to name two) clearly shows this man is a piece of work.  The board may be afraid to move for the simple fact of how long he's been around Microsoft.  Bill actually had a major argument with Steve before he was ousted by the Microsoft board.  Maybe the board are clueless nomes as well.  Any board pushing out the original visionary of the company is clearly mental in their thinking.  That's like Disney pushing out Walt... Apple tried that and ended up needing Steve Jobs to keep them for going under.

I believe it's going to have to get really bad before the board acts on Steve Ballmer.  I have no faith Steve is going to listen to customers concerning Windows 8.  He's going to arrogantly push Metro with the 'Blue' edition and sales will continue to plummet.   Only then will the board get it and do something about Steve (I hope...).  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

If by innovation, you're referring to the retail/consumer environment, I'm not sure Microsoft was ever really innovative. Microsoft core business has always been geared towards the enterprise, a market Apple still does not fully understand nor have they been able to make much of a dent in.

I agree on both points. For me MS was innovative in buying Flight Simulator from Sublogic. I was an Apple II user that had Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 on it and loved it. When MS bought it my next upgrade was to an 8088 IBM so I could get MS Flight Simulator 3 because it wasn't going to be available on the Mac (otherwise I would have bought a Mac).

Today these Apple Devices keep poping up in my life again, 2 Ipods, an Ipad and an Iphone, so I am thinking my next computer purchase will be a Macbook, which will mean I am going back to Apple after 30 years since my Apple IIe.

If MS was doing an FS11 I would not be looking at Macs, I will keep my current FSX rig for FSX but no point in upgrading any of that if MS isn't working on FS anymore.....as Steve Jobs used to say....Times they are a changing (Quoting his hero Bob Dylan). I never thought I would ever buy a MAC :O

I am not a business user so MS still has that market, but I wonder what Oracle will do to change that

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Ballmer needs to go and bring in new blood. Mircosoft needs to innovate and needs younger leadership like yahoo has now. New yahoo CEO is butting heads that what Microsoft needs. Complacentcy is not an option technology industry.

Who's going to replace him??? Cause whoever he is, is not working for the company at the present time. To bring a parachutist from another company now as a replacement can be even worse. They sure are in a pickle jar and the lid won't budge.

Cheers,

Who's going to replace him??? Cause whoever he is, is not working for the company at the present time. To bring a parachutist from another company now as a replacement can be even worse. They sure are in a pickle jar and the lid won't budge.

Cheers,

I refuse to believe no one out there is qualified to replace Steve Ballmer, that's insane.  You can't hog tie a company because your afraid of the alternative.  There's allot of talented people out there who would do wonders with the company.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2