Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarkG

About the FS9 Patch and No-CD...

Guest B52Drivr

John,Er, Roger that, Target is acquired . . . lock and tone . . . fox One!I love that pilot lingo stuff.BestClay

Despite being perceived as "illegal" its a major convenience to those of us who have owned this software since its inception and even beta tested it and its patch. I for one, can validate my ownership at will...and on request from a valid authority...however WILL use a cracked version of the new exe as soon as I can find one. This does not diminish MS at all. it does however increase my convenience (and hence my likelyhood to play the game). MS should provide a non CD executable themselves IMHO (after some form of dot.net validation).Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

To me this whole thing is just BS, but all I am is a simple old FS fan trying to crank up FS as simply as possible in what I thought was by an honest and PAID method.Maybe the solution is to just get a lawyer and go to court every time you want to run FS. (SURE, RIGHT!). For that price, this old retired CFI will see if he can go back to the real thing.I sincerely respect the fears and actions taken by all in protecting their developement work including MS, but obviously there are more simple ways to do this than requireing the CD installation as many of you smarter payware contributors have implemented.In my ignorance I did not even know that the upgrade was out yet. I will look for it unless some kind soul wants to tell me where it is? (Bet I am not the only one).Just my two cents.RTHEdit: Got it off of the cover page: Blind as a bat!

Guest PaulL01

You those of complaining about the breaking patch your No-CDshould hack be aware that made the No-CD ILLEGAL is hack. You own your copy of FS9 do not? You license it from Microsoft.It's rent like, just except you don't pay a recurring fee.Just as allowed renters are not to make unauthorized rental propertymodifications you allowed, make illegal modifications to your licensed to are of not to copy FS9. Doing so use the software to violates your license, and in the eyes of pirates the law makes you no better than the airplanes who trade Kazaa on payware. It is your illegal hack not Microsoft's that stops fault working!Me patch is working gst fien! Eyeeeehttp://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/Eyes.gif http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/Eyes.gif

What's with the self righteous crap today?Who here actually pulls out the FS9 CD-ROM and pops it into their drive every time they fire up the sim? What happens when the CD gets really scratched and the sim won't read it anymore because of excessive use? Buy another copy? Make a *GASP* backup copy?!? Better not because it might offend the big boys up in Redmond.Give me a break!!!

>Installed the patch. Ran my PMDG 737NG and used my old No-CD>patch. NO problem and disk is still in my desk drawer.OK - I believe you -- FS2004 still runs after installing the MS patch and then re-installing the NO CD patch. BUT!!! -- are you getting the benefits of the MS patch. ????Barry

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Despite being perceived as "illegal" its a major convenience>to those of us who have owned this software since its>inception and even beta tested it and its patch. .....>>>Eric One can leave the official FS9.exe and use the 'no cd' version also. Just rename the 'no cd' hack to FS9_NCD.exe and place it in the root FS9 folder. Add a new Link to it. Click on the standard FS9 Icon and the standard exe is run. Meaning you need an FS9 CD in your CD ROM. Click on the FS_NCD Icon and the hacked exe runs. Meaning no CD is required in the CD drive. NOTE: FS will generate a different cfg file for the No CD exe. You can copy your FS9.cfg file to the new name to keep the settings. Or, set the No CD version for different display settings, etc. This is a good way to check that any 'No CD' hack works the same as the official FS9.exe loader does. One can also set different FS9 DT Icons with "/cfg=FS0_X.cfg" (I think) added to the Link's 'Target' string to run differently configured FS9 setups. Remember, making any change in the FS Menu for display, etc. will be saved to the applicable cfg file, depending on which cfg one started FS9 with. Finally, I think some CD image file creators (Alcohol, etc.) will correctly copy the CD protection code to a CD image file. Assuming one has a CD Image drive that works with such files, (there is at least one free image drive that works) he can run FS9 with the 'DISK4' in a virtual CD image drive and thus not have to insert the actual DISK4. Of course, it would be wrong to copy someone elses FS install disks with such an app. But a good way to avoid having to install the correct FS9 (or other FS version) CD in his physical CD Drive. Ron

Guest prichards

My no CD hack still works just fine after the patch! I didnt even need to re apply the Hack! The only reason I use the Hack is becouse its a pain in the #### inserting a CD everytime I wish to load FS + is saves the CD from scratches etc...

Guest PaulL01

What's with the self crap, righteous today? http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/arge.gifWho here actually pops out the FS9 CD-ROM and pulls it intotheir fire every time they drive up the sim? What CD gets really scratched won't sim read anymore when it happens excessive because the use and of the? http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/arge.gif Buy another GASP? Make a *copy*copy backup?!? Better offend the Redmond up in big boys not because it might. Break me give a!!! http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/arge.gif

Pete I already said that and so did John Noe. The 'NO-CD' patch WORKS after the FS9.1 patch is applied but I guess some here just want to carry on a useless conversation....:-roll

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon, "The 'NO-CD' patch WORKS after the FS9.1 patch "did you read ms web site?, since the patch include a new version of fs9.exe that's fixe thing in fs2004? using no-cd you are not using the patch. if you know how the relation with *.exe and *.dll it is vital for function with updated *.dll and *.exe.http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...9.1_english.aspThis FS9.EXE will require a CD in the drive for Flight Simulator to run. If any action (such as re-installing a modified FS9.exe via a 3rd party add-on software installation) causes an overwrite of the updated FS9.EXE, you will lose significant fixes included in the Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (update). ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest daveg4otu

It all works fine - including the patch benefits if you use Virtual CD(payware).I've had VCD since the FS2000 days and used it for that and CFS(and many other things not sim related) as well as FS9- but -YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.(Like FSUIPC - well worth it IMHO)Dave

Guest Boaz

In the beginning add ons were seen by MS as illegal as well, and tried to make alterings of MSFS harder with each release...Things changed luckily, and they are now working to bring them closer to us, via third party companies!The no cd patch is not official, but it is not illegal, it is not something that is solely used by illegal game owners.I for one always buy my copies of MSFS, but I too have installed a no cd patch, simply because I find it irritating to have game cds sitting in the drive, changing such discs increase wear and tear of my product!That thing about rent?? Nah think of copyrights, that is a better way to explain it :)Boaz...

Guest allcott

>Dillon,> "The 'NO-CD' patch WORKS after the FS9.1 patch ">>did you read ms web site?, since the patch include a new>version of fs9.exe that's fixe thing in fs2004? using no-cd>you are not using the patch. if you know how the relation with>*.exe and *.dll it is vital for function with updated *.dll>and *.exe.Really Chris? Because I see no difference. As you seems to have an inside track on what the patch does, could you explain what the relationship is?Especially as the normal Microsoft pattern of renaming the File Version number does not appear to have been followed here, nor does the patch change the FS9.exe in any way I can tell. Installed the patch with the original FS9.exe restored, having moved it from a clean install of FS I keep as a backup, which has the added bonus of logging the date/time stamp in the file properties. After installation of the patch the date/time stamp of FS9.exe has not altered from when I ported it, nor has the file version changed. The bridges are in the right place, the fps counter remains at precisely the same value and all the `fixes` seem to work regardless as to the FS9.exe in use.So it would seem you are wrong, MS are BS'ing, or we've all missed something! Allcott