Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Tool for recording flights?

Hi All

I'm looking for a tool which will let me record my flights, but MUST allow being able to change camera freely within the recording (i.e. not just recording what's on screen). So what I mean is to be able to choose when to change camera whilst watching the "replay" rather than having it record camera changes as I do them in flight only.

Also I want it to be able to have all control surfaces and instruments displaying correctly.

I've had strange things happen with the instant replay function within FSX i.e. if I shutdown the engines at the gate and then watch a replay, the engines are off in the replay, and the airspeed indicator/altitude are showing the ground values and not the valued they would have been at the point in the replay I'm watching.

Does such a tool exist? I want to use it to be able to take screenshots of my flight but do it all after the flight, so I can focus on flying and not taking screenshots!

Thanks

Try FRAPS.

Remy Mermelstein

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

Sounds like FSRecorder is what your looking for in addition to FRAPS. Here's a link http://www.fs-recorder.net/ to read more about it.

This allows you the freedom you're looking for and to have all the control surfaces to behave normally in playback.

Thanks guys. FS Recorder looks like it might be the answer - I assume FRAPS is merely video capture, i.e. if I'm in spot view whilst recording, the playback will be in spot view and not allow me to cycle cameras in the playback?

Sounds like FSRecorder is what your looking for in addition to FRAPS. Here's a link http://www.fs-recorder.net/ to read more about it.

This allows you the freedom you're looking for and to have all the control surfaces to behave normally in playback.

I am assuming that you are saying that FRAPS (or Bandicam) could be used to record a previously FS Recorded flight?  I like the ease of use of FS Recorder, and how I can manage the cameras, but it won't produce anything I can share outside of the FSX environment. But if I could record a flight with FS Recorder just the way I want it, and then use FRAPS to capture that playback, it would be perfect.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I am assuming that you are saying that FRAPS (or Bandicam) could be used to record a previously FS Recorded flight?  I like the ease of use of FS Recorder, and how I can manage the cameras, but it won't produce anything I can share outside of the FSX environment. But if I could record a flight with FS Recorder just the way I want it, and then use FRAPS to capture that playback, it would be perfect.

Hi Gary,

Absolutely correct! You record your flight with FS Recorder then play it back creating a video with FRAPS or any other video utility. The great thing about recording your light with FS Recorder is it records all the movements of control surfaces which adds a little more depth to the video. Another bonus is you can record multiple perspectives/views then edit them all together in your favorite video editing application so you can have views from the cockpit, outside, close-ups, etc...

Looks like I'm on the right path. And just when I thought I had it all figured out, I realized that there is no sound recorded in FS Recorder. Well, I guess you can't have everything. I'll be trying that out very soon, with my 737NGX and my Coolsky MD-80. Thanks!

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Veering off topic a little - Has anyone had any luck using FSRecorder and the MJ Q400?

Flight displays, flight controls, sounds are all over the place when replaying using FSrecorder. I'm assuming that because the Q400 is so heavily programmed outside of FSX that replaying a flight with FSRecorder is not possible?

Regards,

Diego

Just to be clear about what FS Recorder does, it records data about the aircraft's motion,engine thrust, control surfaces etc. and then uses FS and the same aircraft to play back what was recorded earlier.  It does NOT actually make a video (except for a beta version that makes silent videos).  It's like FS instant replay, only 20 times better.

Looks like I'm on the right path. And just when I thought I had it all figured out, I realized that there is no sound recorded in FS Recorder. Well, I guess you can't have everything. I'll be trying that out very soon, with my 737NGX and my Coolsky MD-80. Thanks!

FS Recorder certainly does replay the aircraft sounds, which can then be picked up by video recording software like FRAPS. You probably need to make sure the aircraft's engines, hydraulics etc haven't been shut off. It won't pick up the ATC sounds though. 

It also records AI aircraft, and I believe in FS X will record other users' aircraft on Vatsim. It also saves the situation file so that you have the same weather and time of day as existed when the recording was made.  You can also substitute a different aircraft for the playback than the one used for the recording.  For example you could make a recording using a 777 that has no cabin and then play it back with an aircraft model that does have a cabin, such as the Meljet. So, by using FRAPS or similar software, you could replay your FS Recorder recording several times and show,for example, a landing from the cockpit, from spot view, from tower view and from a passenger cabin view. You could also change liveries as  well.  One thing I have noticed, though, is that in some aircraft (such as the Level-D 767) if the autopilot is on, the autopilot and FS Recorder can issue conflicting commands so that the yoke and control surfaces vibrate.  So it's best to turn the autopilot off during replay.

FS Recorder also allows you to move around in the VC much more than the default viewpoint functionality, and to walk around outside the aircraft as well.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Actually started a similar thread over in PMDG's forum asking for a good way to record flights and especially landings in the NGX. Someone suggested FS Recorder and I did some testing the last couple of days and overall it's working really good especially compared to the built-in replay feature in FSX.

I do however still have some problems watching replays of the NGX in action where the animations of the flaps, spoilers, reversers etc don't work every time and I haven't really figured out why they do work in one case but not the next. First I wasn't aware that you need to have your engines running and the hydraulic systems ON before you start the playback but even after discovering that still not all animations work during replay every time.

Are there any other NGX drivers in here that could share their experience using FS Recorder with the NGX?

Richard Åsberg