Sign in to follow this  
StewCal

Issues with Ils approach

There sure is an issue. Today it happened for the fourth time on a row. When intercepting the ILS rwy30 at LPPD the aircraft is totally going out of control. The same happened at KBOS and KEWR.

VIP136, on 24 May 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

There sure is an issue. Today it happened for the fourth time on a row. When intercepting the ILS rwy30 at LPPD the aircraft is totally going out of control. The same happened at KBOS and KEWR.

i tried LPPD on that runway and it worked fine. are you using maybe a scenery expansion or something for that airport that would be different from my (stock fsx) version?

cheers

-andy crosby

No Andy, just FSX.

Later this week I´ll have another trie and let you know.

Happened again to me today 22L KEWR.  I've come to expect it and just keep hitting the APPR button.

Steve Giblin

Yep, happening to me. On approach to KSFO - more than once. I thought it may have been the Freebie SFO AFCAD so tried the experience at another airport - same deal cuts out. I had been monitoring my speed after earlier posts suggested this could be the fault, but no - this was not the problem as I maintained approach plus 10 knots all the way down.

maybe you guys could post a screenshot right after it happens?

i've done a few dozen landings by now and never seen this, no idea what it could be.

maybe it's related to getting on the loc at more than 25nm out (there's a bug where they show up farther away than they should, i noticed when coming in range it would move slightly although the difference wasn't enough to break the autopilot or anything..)

puzzling

cheers

-andy crosby

I had it happen today at KPWA, runway 17L. I captured the ILS at around 15 miles (I use heading mode to establish the aircraft on the ILS course, then make sure I have a Glideslope indication and I am below the GS at the assigned altitude) then hit the APP. Got a LOC and GS indication, then after following the glide slope for a few moments, it switched to pitch hold. I turned off the AP and did the approach manually. My airspeed was APP + 10 knots, flaps 15 degrees. The scenery and airport are default FSX, I was using RC 4.3 and AS2012 (there was a 6 knot tailwind on approach, otherwise clear and no turbulence)

Dale

Hello All -- After reading all the posts here, I went to the aircraft.cfg file and looked at the FLIGHT TUNING values for axis trim effectiveness.

Given past experiences with this same general issue in other FSX aircraft, I tried an experiment. I increased these values to some large values just to try a hunch. As below....(original values were all zero)

elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.50 // was 0.03. Kimani. 0.06

aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.50 // was 1.000

rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.50 // was 1.000

Not that this is an appropriate cure for the above reports in the Q400, but it appeared to add needed gain to these channels for an AP controlled approach.

Before the experiment, I had the same problem happen as reported above, but after the changes, I shot FIVE approaches all intercepting the ILS off-center somewhat to see if the AP would correct for the offset, line up and not lose control. I intercepted at about 20 miles on each approach, activated the APP function, and never lost lock. All five approaches were fine, the AP corrected nicely and held all the way to the threshold. I did notice that the radio system drops the ILS audio ident randomly, just FYI.

Cheers --- :-)

Hello All -- After reading all the posts here, I went to the aircraft.cfg file and looked at the FLIGHT TUNING values for axis trim effectiveness.

Given past experiences with this same general issue in other FSX aircraft, I tried an experiment. I increased these values to some large values just to try a hunch. As below....(original values were all zero)

elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.50 // was 0.03. Kimani. 0.06

aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.50 // was 1.000

rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.50 // was 1.000

Not that this is an appropriate cure for the above reports in the Q400, but it appeared to add needed gain to these channels for an AP controlled approach.

Before the experiment, I had the same problem happen as reported above, but after the changes, I shot FIVE approaches all intercepting the ILS off-center somewhat to see if the AP would correct for the offset, line up and not lose control. I intercepted at about 20 miles on each approach, activated the APP function, and never lost lock. All five approaches were fine, the AP corrected nicely and held all the way to the threshold. I did notice that the radio system drops the ILS audio ident randomly, just FYI.

Cheers --- :-)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the above - I've not lost a single GS/LOC lock since applying these changes.  :drinks:

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the above - I've not lost a single GS/LOC lock since applying these changes.  :drinks:

Howdy Al -- well glad that worked for you. Still working for me too. MJC is also looking into the VOR/DME reception range issue -- which is good news for IFR flyers and hopefully that will be fixed.

Have Fun --- Cheers --- :Big Grin:

Hmmm...well I applied these changes and it had no effect on my issues.  Last couple times I flew an ILS approach I had to hit the APP button 4 or 5 times until I got to around 500 ft and turned AP off myself.

Tonight was worse, though.  I was flying into KSEA and it was pouring rain so my FPS wasn't the greatest....low 20's I'd say.  But as I got down to about 1500 ft, the AP just shut off on it's own and I veered strongly to the left.  This wasn't the first time, either.   I know I was in a stable approach, but that doesn't seem to matter.  I almost felt like the CPU was being taxed to the point that the Q400 just punted and stopped controlling the AP due to conflicts with everything else going on.  So....my experience is that every flight I either lose the localizer and glide scope, or lose AP altogether.  I don't believe I've flown one flight since I've owned this aircraft that didn't have one of those issues.

I hope they can isolate the problem and it isn't unique to my machine!

--Don

Don Polidori