Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

Have you Found Your Street in XP10?

Here's my house in Whitestone Queens, NY Highlighted in red.

Rob

Cessna_172SP_1_zps060619fd.jpg

Have you Found Your Street in XP10?

Yes ! :biggrin:

X-Plane 10 default scenery, it looks fine, the forests, the village, all the streets, the railway... It's the simulator with the best worldwide default scenery. I can fly VFR and don't get lost (click for a larger picture).

xp10dflt-t.jpg

X-Plane 10 with the alpilotx HD mesh. Better mesh and much better landclass: see the forest edges, the farmland around the village...

xp10hdm-t.jpg

X-Plane 10 with XPOSM roads and railways, OSM2XP buildings and forests (new OpenStreetMap data) and Zones-Photo X-Plane ground textures. Here's just everything including very precise forest edges and every house with it's real size.

xp10osm-t.jpg

Happy flying !

And osm2xp isn't a solution either because then you lose the roads!

I hope someone can point out an obvious solution that I missed.

You'll only lose the roads with OSM2XP if you exclude the default network. Just check your OSM2XP options:

http://osm2xp.com/?q=interfaceDocumentation

I'm using XPOSM roads (generated using X-Plane 9) because I don't want to wait for the OSM recut. :wink:

My beef with the streets however is that they are typically far too wide to represent typical streets in the united kingdom.

E.g.  A two lane trunk road (typically 8metres wide) is represented as a four lane highway.  Likewise residential streets are far too wide.  They should be more like 5 metres wide, not 15!

Same problem here in France with XPOSM: I often see 2 lane roads represented as a four lane highway, when the OSM tag is "primary":

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway

There must be a way to improve this using the XPOSM "layout.py" file.

I have...trouble is there is no sign of life for miles-no buildings-nothing-just roads. Should be approx. 3000 houses in this valley along with some trees....attachicon.gifhome.jpg

maybe so...... but there's something special bout a v35 flying thru that valley   :rolleyes:

Especially nice the v35 is starting to fly like one...;)

MdMax, on 29 May 2013 - 1:20 PM, said:

And did you try to land on your street ? :biggrin:

Good one MDmax.

Seriously though if I could get the high detail photoreal one can get on Google earth with every rock, tree, house tile, swimming pool, golf course, tennis court ,hiking trails etc. where they are in reality with a much higher mesh than I am getting in xplane presently that would define the mountains I live in better I would really not have many other needs.

I still feel much like when in rw flying we moved from vector charts to rw digitized georeferenced charts this has always been the way to reality-not autogen houses/trees which can never match all the real world objects and subtleties of the earth we fly over. Now if one wants to throw some osm autogen on top of the photoscenery now there would be something magical. In any case you can see out the default scenery gets me lost every time....

Geofa,

Have you tried G2XPL?

I worked great for me filling in not so great parts of my neighborhood .

Rob

I haven't just because I've heard there are some legality issues and it appears to require tweaking which I am not in the mood to do anymore. What I'd love is my 50 cm sim savvy to work in xplane but Larry said there was not enough of a market to make it worthwhile.

Well - for my area/town it seems to be quite accurate (using the hd scenery from alpilotx). You can easily compare autogen to reality due to the ortho scenery used in this shot.

Car_C152II_v10_8.jpg

That looks great. Where is that and what orthoscenery are you using?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

That looks great. Where is that and what orthoscenery are you using?

Thanx - it's the ZL17 stuff from simheaven. The area is a smaller town a little south of Stuttgart / Germany.

There is no doubt that if the generic land textures happen to match your area of the world, and the generic autogen houses/trees happen to match your area of the world that there can sometimes be realistic results. Problem is the world is too,too diverse in land textures/buildings/trees to recreate all that diversity/accuracy

Where I used to live autogen worked reasonably. Houses tended largely to be similar, vegetation ditto, and generic farm/city textures did a reasonable job.

Where I live now going 11 nm east is the desert, 8nm east are pine covered mountains, where I live is Mediterranean climate with mountains with gigantic and unique boulders, vegetation of every kind ( still waiting for palm trees in xplane). Houses are unique and when portrayed certainly don't match the presently depicted farm houses, or the Chicago appt. buildings that manifest all over my city. When large populated areas are presently missing it is hugely disorienting if trying to simulate flying Vfr.

In the 90's when the debate started over using vector charts over rw ones in electronics I used the same argument-why would one want to look at a vector chart when one can look at reality?

Same goes imho with a vector recreation of our world vs. a reality recreation. When you can get photoscenery in a sim with sharp 50 cm resolution how much more real can it be? If osm can put accurate buildings of accurate heights on top of this we would have something that could be flown over with a chart and no instruments. Of course with google populating worldwide cities with accurate 3d ones why use generic at all? Xplane 10 roads do take simming to a new height-but I have to say the real ones on photoscenery look more real.

Spend hours, years and never really get there to try to recreate a database that can recreate the rw, or just use the rw....or at least for now a combo.

Geoff, didn't you hear???

Austin Meyer says... (Link)

Orthophotos are garbage.

(Tongue-in-cheek) I'm shocked they're even ALLOWING photoreal scenery to be added into XP10. After all, they build up each city from the blades of grass onward... that's the way of the future!

B)